2017 Recruiting Finish

Let's evaluate this situation.

DB Scott Nelson goes to Wisconsin
DT Kendrick Green goes to Illinois
LB Thomas Johnston goes to UAB

And Iowa gets........drum roll please.....

WR Henry Marchese

Way to win those recruiting battles, Iowa!!!

I'm just about done with this effortless coaching staff.

*Crosses fingers*

They seem to keep chasing after WRs and coming up empty. This begs my question - Are they overlooking other needs in an effort to find a WR, over-purchasing at that position in the hopes of having one come through?

What are positions of need, besides WR? It seems like they could use help at DT and LB in the next few years. RB concerns me after next year, too. Since Iowa is a run first team, getting a good one on board seems essential. These 3 positions you'd think would be some of the easiest for Iowa to recruit for, since they are the positions that have had a lot of priority in Iowa's game plans and their success. I don't see any DT or LB in this class so far.

They seem to keep chasing after WRs and coming up empty. This begs my question - Are they overlooking other needs in an effort to find a WR, over-purchasing at that position in the hopes of having one come through?

What are positions of need, besides WR? It seems like they could use help at DT and LB in the next few years. RB concerns me after next year, too. Since Iowa is a run first team, getting a good one on board seems essential. These 3 positions you'd think would be some of the easiest for Iowa to recruit for, since they are the positions that have had a lot of priority in Iowa's game plans and their success. I don't see any DT or LB in this class so far.

The thing to remember is just because a guy is recruited and played QB doesn't mean that is where they will play at Iowa. I think our background shows if you have potential to move they will try and do that. How soon the transition is made is hard to say but I would guarantee that come practice next fall some new recruits will have switched positions that what they were originally recruited for.

Let's evaluate this situation.

DB Scott Nelson goes to Wisconsin
DT Kendrick Green goes to Illinois
LB Thomas Johnston goes to UAB

And Iowa gets........drum roll please.....

WR Henry Marchese

Way to win those recruiting battles, Iowa!!!

I'm just about done with this effortless coaching staff.

Perhaps you should just save yourself a lot of heartache, bitching and moaning and just be done now....

I don't get the sudden explosion in negativity. Sure this class isn't going to be top 25, or have a whole lot of high profile names. You know what class it's similar to? Damn near EVERY class that has been recruited to Iowa in the last 30 or so years. This year is no different, and those who believe it's suddenly the worst of all time have never paid attention to our recruiting before.

This is Iowa's bread and butter, taking lightly recruited, possibly under the radar guys and developing them into quality players by their junior or senior years.

We never have been, nor ever will be (barring an Alabama-type run), a school who gets a large amount of recruits who can step in and contribute day one.

I don't get the sudden explosion in negativity. Sure this class isn't going to be top 25, or have a whole lot of high profile names. You know what class it's similar to? Damn near EVERY class that has been recruited to Iowa in the last 30 or so years. This year is no different, and those who believe it's suddenly the worst of all time have never paid attention to our recruiting before.

This is Iowa's bread and butter, taking lightly recruited, possibly under the radar guys and developing them into quality players by their junior or senior years.

We never have been, nor ever will be (barring an Alabama-type run), a school who gets a large amount of recruits who can step in and contribute day one.
Not with that attitude. So defeatist and accepting of our lot in life...lil ol Iowa. Lol

Not with that attitude. So defeatist and accepting of our lot in life...lil ol Iowa. Lol
What attitude, reality? Iowa has had one top 10 class ever since they began ranking them, which came after the 2002-04 run of 3 straight 10 win seasons (most of whom transferred anyways). Even after 08-09, we put together pedestrian classes. It's not defeatist if there is substantial evidence to back it up.

I'm not saying this is going to be a good class, but it's pretty damn early to be calling it a failure. This strategy has been successful for us before. People wearing rose-tinted glasses think Hayden was such a better recruiter when in actuality he recruited about the same, but had more offensive creativity.

Hold on. Are you telling me all I have to do is bitch on the internet, and we will land big time recruits right and left? That is all it takes is non stop, over the top, complain all the time, cry about everything bitching and recruits will come? Man oh man, why didn't someone tell me this before, why did you hide this secret soooooo long Okst?

You trust this staff at identifying talent? Not only do they have trouble identifying talent, but they can't get said talent to commit, and if they do, they don't know how to utilize the talent on Saturdays. By and large there is a reason most of these guys have few offers, or MAC offers, and we all know the reason. It's not because KF is some genius either. The 12th rated class in the B1G, which isn't exactly a powerhouse conference is pretty pathetic. He needed to get a dynamic OC that can recruit his ass off. Instead we get the least qualified OC he could have possibly hired, and he can't recruit any better than his dad. It's okay though, Brian knows the system lol. That system is exactly why we can't land highly talented skill players.
Maybe you need to consider that the recruiting classes he gets outplay the rankings they receive most years.
That doesn't invalidate my point. Get better classes and maybe do that much better. Our retention rate of these low ranked classes isn't even that great either. There's no reason we should rank behind some of the teams that we do. Classes in the 30's should be achievable, but we usually end up in the 50's.

Yeah, it'd be pretty bad if we've got another group of WR's that don't work out and overlooked(actually lost out) on the positions you mentioned.

Rob or whomever can,

Can you please provide a list of just the last four seasons of recruits that we've had that of "" then fall back recruits or people that we offered December to January. I think this list will show a lot of people that once the staff evaluates and looks at prospects after their senior film they identify and pick great talent.

Hold on. Are you telling me all I have to do is bitch on the internet, and we will land big time recruits right and left? That is all it takes is non stop, over the top, complain all the time, cry about everything bitching and recruits will come? Man oh man, why didn't someone tell me this before, why did you hide this secret soooooo long Okst?
Not at all but you folks act like our recruiting can't get any better than what it is. Excuse after excuse for the piss poor job this staff does with recruiting. It's like all you guys aspire is to be middle managers. No shot at becoming CEO so let's flip burgers the rest of our lives. Winners for sure, the whole lot of ya.

Not at all but you folks act like our recruiting can't get any better than what it is. Excuse after excuse for the piss poor job this staff does with recruiting. It's like all you guys aspire is to be middle managers. No shot at becoming CEO so let's flip burgers the rest of our lives. Winners for sure, the whole lot of ya.
Easy there big shoots, it's an online message board about college football. Step down off your soapbox.

This is the dumbest shit ever dude. What I do in my life has nothing to do with Iowa recruiting. Do you think that you WANTING Iowa to do better at recruiting leads to furthering your career??? If so, let me give you a hint......doing shit for your job, gets you ahead in your job.....not bitching about Iowa's recruiting.

This is the dumbest shit ever dude. What I do in my life has nothing to do with Iowa recruiting. Do you think that you WANTING Iowa to do better at recruiting leads to furthering your career??? If so, let me give you a hint......doing shit for your job, gets you ahead in your job.....not bitching about Iowa's recruiting.
Wow so dense

I knew it was like talking to a brick wall but my goodness

Wow so dense

Me dense? You are the one saying that our freaking recruiting would improve if we just WANTED It to improve. Then if we don't bitch, moan, and cry about it non stop like a whiny bitch, then we are middle managers? LOL man, middle managers like you are busy whining about shit you can't change, while bosses like me are solving problems and moving the company forward.

Me dense? You are the one saying that our freaking recruiting would improve if we just WANTED It to improve. Then if we don't bitch, moan, and cry about it non stop like a whiny bitch, then we are middle managers? LOL man, middle managers like you are busy whining about shit you can't change, while bosses like me are solving problems and moving the company forward.
Lol, as you prepare for your breakfast shift tomorrow.

Latest posts