2017 Chicago Cubs Thread

I saw one poll that said Cubs will win the NL Central by 10 games ahead of the cards. That would be fun! :)

It is crazy how much faster this offseason went when your team played until almost November :)
Cards already lost Reyes, if they lose another pitcher they're toast. At least I hope ha ha. Would be amazing to beat them by 10 games. Hoping we get an average year at the plate from J Hey and a healthy Schwarbs. Exciting to see what Ian Happ did in the spring. He is about ready.

As a Cardinals fan and I am extremely glad to see Chapman finally out of the NL Central. The Cubs are certainly the heavy favorite to win the NL Central still, but letting Chapman walk was a very bad move. Having the starters they have with Chapman at the back end was just plain lethal.

As a Cardinals fan and I am extremely glad to see Chapman finally out of the NL Central. The Cubs are certainly the heavy favorite to win the NL Central still, but letting Chapman walk was a very bad move. Having the starters they have with Chapman at the back end was just plain lethal.
I think Wade Davis was a safer pick. He has more pitches in his arsenal. While I loved having a dominate closer like Chapman, all he has is a fastball. At 29 he's going to start losing some zip.

The bullpen is definitely a cause for concern this season, at least to me. Wade Davis has been one of the best closers in the game the past few seasons, but he's coming off of injury and getting up there in age. Will he be as effective? Also, Rondon has been having some major issues as of late. We saw Strop have a mini-meltdown Sunday night. Uehara (sp?) looks fairly solid, but the Cubs are really lacking a lefty out of the 'pen besides Montgomery. I really wish we would have worked harder to keep Wood. We're going to miss him this season.

Davis is good, he's just no Chapman IMO. He's the one closer today that everyone fears. Other closers are certainly dominant and effective, but they're not throwing 103+. With that arm though he's one injury away from never being the same again.

On a side note I'd take Davis over Oh every day of the week.

Chapman would have been great again but the main reason they have Davis is monetary reasons. We got a great closer (if healthy) for a fraction of what we would have had to commit to Chapman, leaving some money available hopefully to get some other guys signed long term.

Chapman would have been great again but the main reason they have Davis is monetary reasons. We got a great closer (if healthy) for a fraction of what we would have had to commit to Chapman, leaving some money available hopefully to get some other guys signed long term.

I'm glad we didnt' commit 5 years and 86 million to him.

Nice series win vs. the Cards to open the season up! That ball sticking to Yadi's chest protector was nuts. Kinda of suspicious but my Cardinals friend here at work is claiming it go stuck in a hole on the protector...

Just looked at the team's stats. Jason Heyward is leading the team in hitting through 5 games. The others will get it going, but it will be an even more deadly line-up if he can keep it going.

Admit it, you can smell the gum just by looking at this picture. :)

C9V0lTxXcAUxvaN.jpg

Latest posts