2016 PF Ryan Kriener Commits

The kid openly states that he grew up a Hawk fan and always wanted to be a Hawk. Much like Gessel and Woody. It's nice that Fran is getting the kids whose dads are huge hawk fans, but the challenge lies in landing 4 star out of state talent away from other schools. We have had offers out to some studs for quite a while...and this offer to an Iowa kid shows me that Fran doesn't think he can seal the deal with the guys he really wanted.

The kid is tall, thick, and can hit the 3. So I think he's got major potential. It is just disappointing to hear that we offered a sure thing despite having a bunch of outstanding offers out to out of staters who I thought we had a good shot at.

How'd your theory work out for the CyClowns and Harrison Barnes?

Cyfans are bashing this kid all over the place. I guess in their thinking a kid trying to live his dream is a crime. One cyfan says he's more than happy to have Prohm skip on recruiting Ryan Kriener and concentrating on Big 12 caliber players. I'm guessing he's still basking in the glory of landing Brady Ernst who has to beat least a 5 star, maybe the first 6 star.

For all we know, after watching him this month, Fran thinks he is better than the 4 stars he already offered.

When I watched his vids he clearly has a pretty high ceiling. Another poster posted that RK has been compared to Nick Collison. I can see that. If this is comparison pans out, you can't really ask for a whole lot better.

Cyfans are bashing this kid all over the place. I guess in their thinking a kid trying to live his dream is a crime. One cyfan says he's more than happy to have Prohm skip on recruiting Ryan Kriener and concentrating on Big 12 caliber players. I'm guessing he's still basking in the glory of landing Brady Ernst who has to beat least a 5 star, maybe the first 6 star.

ISU fans are just ****** because he would have to go to another school first before he becomes eligible at ISU. With Hoiberg gone, the message won't have the same effect in a few years and ISU will have to focus on getting kids right out of HS.

ISU fans are just ****** because he would have to go to another school first before he becomes eligible at ISU. With Hoiberg gone, the message won't have the same effect in a few years and ISU will have to focus on getting kids right out of HS.

With their mayor leaving for greener pastures, ISUs program will go the way of many of their players...one (year) and done.

Meanwhile, Kreiner joins a program built with a foundation for ongoing success.

Last edited:
Looks like Iowa has stopped recruiting Painter since the Kriener commitment. Kind of figured that would be the case, but Painter confirmed it as well.

If Iowa can land Cook, it would be an impressive Big man class for Iowa with Kriener (just outside of the top 150) and Pemsel (top 150) and Cook (top 100). That would be a great haul for Iowa inside.

Looks like Iowa has stopped recruiting Painter since the Kriener commitment. Kind of figured that would be the case, but Painter confirmed it as well.

If Iowa can land Cook, it would be an impressive Big man class for Iowa with Kriener (just outside of the top 150) and Pemsel (top 150) and Cook (top 100). That would be a great haul for Iowa inside.

Kriener is just outside the top 150?

Kriener had a broken nose his junior year, and Pemsl had his knee injury. I wonder how they would of been ranked if they had been healthy throughout their high school careers. Last year Hutton was hurt with his ankle injury and I'm sure it effected his game. He looks to be an underrated offensive talent. I think that its going to be fun to watch Kriener and Pemsl play basketball for the Hawkeyes. It would be nice if the could get another quality big man and the point guard from Illinois to go with them. I read somewhere that Kriener is just going to turn eighteen entering his senior year so he might have some room for growth.

Last edited:

There are at least 3 good videos showcasing his talents and abilities. Check them out... There is a reason he has 20+ offers and the big dogs were sniffing around...

He may end up top 150 once all the evaluations from the summer start coming in to the services... He hit at 71% from the field last year, can run with the ball in transition(which is a great skill at 6'9"!), can shoot the 3 ball, has a 7'2" wing span making dunking easy enough, he has good handles, and he is physical. Being 240 lbs doesn't hurt for that last note.

He is 16. He will improve, and he will add muscle. Becoming a top 150 player is an attainable goal for Ryan. Hardwork my friends, that will be the determining factor... Will he do it???

According to QuickStats, Kreiner went 2/11 from 3PT last year shooting 18.2%.

I'm not trying to hate... I just think people might want to slow down a bit on him being a 3 PT threat.

I'm not trying to hate... I just think people might want to slow down a bit on him being a 3 PT threat.

Was that high school stats? If so, maybe he was so dominant down low due to compitition that he rarely shot them. It's a pretty small sample size to worry about percentage. Especially since the one's he did shoot he probably would have had doubt in his mind about whether it was a good shot to take or not. Against better compitition in AAU, he wouldn't be so dominant down low so shooting 3's could be a bigger part of his game. Of course if the stats you showed were from AAU, I'm an idiot and pay no attention to my stupid reasoning.

He used to play for New Hampton before he moved out West, young kid then, probably knew he was going to be fairly good, but that when he was a freshman.....I like his videos, moves well, big banger, and you need guys like that in the B1G

In case you haven't heard, it only matters how they shoot in practice. Ogles3 made a million in a row in a practice!

Was that high school stats? If so, maybe he was so dominant down low due to compitition that he rarely shot them. It's a pretty small sample size to worry about percentage. Especially since the one's he did shoot he probably would have had doubt in his mind about whether it was a good shot to take or not. Against better compitition in AAU, he wouldn't be so dominant down low so shooting 3's could be a bigger part of his game. Of course if the stats you showed were from AAU, I'm an idiot and pay no attention to my stupid reasoning.

Those would be high school stats from last year. I've seen him play AAU probably 4-5 times and I can't recall him taking a single 3.

I don't want to scare people but he reminds me of a shorter version of Woody. He's limited in terms of jumping but he hustles his butt off and runs the floor well and has a good frame.

Those would be high school stats from last year. I've seen him play AAU probably 4-5 times and I can't recall him taking a single 3.

I don't want to scare people but he reminds me of a shorter version of Woody. He's limited in terms of jumping but he hustles his butt off and runs the floor well and has a good frame.

It shouldn't scare people. Woody has been a pretty consistent center for us over the past three years. Not a huge scoring threat, but few centers are. Also, Kriener may be shorter than Woodbuyy, but with a 7'2 wingspan. A bit like Gabe in that regard. And he could still grow another inch. Also, seems to be able to dunk with ease when standing under the basket, whereas Woody needs a bit of a running start. So Kriener seems to have better hops. Finally, regardless of whether Kriener develops into a three point threat, he does seem to have a better jump shot than Woodbury at this point in his career.

So it seems Kriener has better offensive potential than Woody, but the real questions is whether he can bring the defense and toughness that Woodbury brings. That is underrated and very important.

After seeing his videos he doesn't remind me much of Woodbury at all.

Not a good comparison IMO.

After seeing his videos he doesn't remind me much of Woodbury at all.

Not a good comparison IMO.

For some reason, the comparison I have is of Sam Oakey. Thicker player, with decent height that could run the floor. Long, good ball handler and passer. Hope I don't jinx the kid and he is injured his whole career.

what's wrong with Woody? It'd be great if he was even close to being as good as Woody. 4 year starter, a solid player and a HUGE piece in Iowa basketballs resurrection.

Latest posts