2014 PG recruit Tyler Ulis visiting this weekend

He has already shown this year that he is willing to start Clemons at the PG and Gesell at the SG. That isn't a knock on Gesell, just Fran playing what he feels to be the best lineup.

I already touched on that, but you a right. Fran's hand was kinda forced into moving Gesell to the 2. It was nothing he did wrong. Again, I'm not sure if that would be the best lineup next season after the additions and development of other players. We will find out.

LOL I know. I think it's funny these people who know that Jok was ranked #1 above Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins just a year and a half ago but that his injury was so crippling they think hes now the second Bawinkle.

It's better to assume that what Jok is showing this season, is what he will be in college.

He will likely never be a superb Big Ten athlete, but rather a skilled shooter with good size. Iowa needs that, but don't start putting his ranking from before he could drive on him. It isn't fair to the player.

I'm a fan of the signing, but don't get crazy with the 'he was better than Jabari' crap.

It's better to assume that what Jok is showing this season, is what he will be in college.

He will likely never be a superb Big Ten athlete, but rather a skilled shooter with good size. Iowa needs that, but don't start putting his ranking from before he could drive on him. It isn't fair to the player.

I'm a fan of the signing, but don't get crazy with the 'he was better than Jabari' crap.

Have you watched a lot of Jok's games this year?

No clue why you want to say he won't be a superb Big Ten athlete. He will be the most athletic player on the team!! He is absolutely top division one talent and it isn't even close. His all around game and athleticism is better then anyone on the team now. Fran will turn this guy into an animal and he will absolutely play next year. Geez people even talk about redshirting are you nuts??????

I already touched on that, but you a right. Fran's hand was kinda forced into moving Gesell to the 2. It was nothing he did wrong. Again, I'm not sure if that would be the best lineup next season after the additions and development of other players. We will find out.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that Fran doesn't want Gesell to be his PG, because I think he does. Yet Fran is smart enough to scratch where it itches, and he will have them both on the court a lot in the next 3 years. I think Fran is wise bringing in another PG with the 2014 class either way, as now we have a PG with experience when those two leave.

The argument was made that Clemmons didn't run the offense during high school and that is why we are seeing the growing pains. Well, the same can be said in a way for Gesell. He did not run the offense during AAU, Paige did. During high school he ran the offense, but it was as the primary scorer and not as the distributor. He is a much better scorer than Clemmons and brings more to the table right now, which is why he is the starter. Gesell will only be moved to the 2 out of necessity to get the best lineup possible on the floor to start the game. His future is at the PG spot and it is bright. I think it was quite obvious that he wasn't real comfortable in the uptempo game for the first 2/3 of the season. There were games during the first half of the season were he made some questionable passes during the break along with what should have been easy passes, that ended up being turnovers. After that happened, he seemed to slow down a bit and think more. However, I think that started to change about 3 or 4 games ago. Lately, he has been getting the ball up the court much faster and has been doing better at the uptempo game.

No clue why you want to say he won't be a superb Big Ten athlete. He will be the most athletic player on the team!!!

No he won't.

Next year, Gesell, Clemmons, Basabe, White, Marble, Ingram, Uthoff, Gabe, and maybe Meyer will be better athletes than Jok, as defined by quickness and/or leaping ability.

You aren't being a bad Iowa fan in admitting Jok is a shooter, Iowa desperately needs people that can shoot. He just isn't a slashing athletic 3 like a few are trying to claim.

For some reason he reminds me of a very young BJ Armstrong......

Both Gesell and Clemmons appear to be hard working guys whose potential both very high. Hopefully, Ulis comes to Iowa, but I doubt he expects to beat out Gesell and Clemmons who will both be juniors.

No he won't.

Next year, Gesell, Clemmons, Basabe, White, Marble, Ingram, Uthoff, Gabe, and maybe Meyer will be better athletes than Jok, as defined by quickness and/or leaping ability.

You aren't being a bad Iowa fan in admitting Jok is a shooter, Iowa desperately needs people that can shoot. He just isn't a slashing athletic 3 like a few are trying to claim.

Again I ask, have you been watching all of his AAU and high school games this year? How do you know he isn't continuing to get healthy and that part of his game isn't coming back? If you have seen him a lot let me know, but if you are judging your opinion off of the videos you have seen of him then I don't believe you over anyone else.

Again I ask, have you been watching all of his AAU and high school games this year? How do you know he isn't continuing to get healthy and that part of his game isn't coming back? If you have seen him a lot let me know, but if you are judging your opinion off of the videos you have seen of him then I don't believe you over anyone else.

I think all of the Jok videos that have been posted lately are of his 2012-2013 HS Bball season. I am not sure if he played the AAU circut in the summer of 2012 as he was not fully healthy at that point?

Looking at his most recent video's Jok does not appear to be that explosive off the dribble or jumping.

Jok looks to be more of a shooter or a guy that gets his shot off at the next level based on his lenght more than quicks.

I think he will be a solid piece as he is athletic but not explosive. Any team can use a 6'6 guy who can shot and put the ball on the floor a bit.

I don't think he is going to be a guy who will be beating his defender off the dribble and finishing at the rim consistently just due to not seeing that explosion.

I think all of the Jok videos that have been posted lately are of his 2012-2013 HS Bball season. I am not sure if he played the AAU circut in the summer of 2012 as he was not fully healthy at that point?

Looking at his most recent video's Jok does not appear to be that explosive off the dribble or jumping.

Jok looks to be more of a shooter or a guy that gets his shot off at the next level based on his lenght more than quicks.

I think he will be a solid piece as he is athletic but not explosive. Any team can use a 6'6 guy who can shot and put the ball on the floor a bit.

I don't think he is going to be a guy who will be beating his defender off the dribble and finishing at the rim consistently just due to not seeing that explosion.

1. He did play AAU ball as many videos were posted of him this summer
2. I have not seen them, but I prefer not to judge off of highlight videos because they can be very biased obviously, but think about Jok. Everyone is keying off him. I'm guessing he sees a lot of double teams or at least help defense if he tries to drive. His opponents might not give him much of a shot to get into the lane, so why try?

3. I really don't think he's going to have that "bam" kind of first step, but he's long and lengthy, similar to Deng for the Bulls. He will more glide into the lane and be that kind of slasher.

That is what my opinion from people who have seen him play. Of course he still may not be 100%, or ever get there, so who really knows.

Not sure what I am missing, because I clearly think Gesell is a better PG than Clemmons. May not be as quick, but he is a better stand still shooter, better shooter on the mover, better passer and is very underrated defensively, IMO. With that being said, I have no problem with MG moving over and playing the SG. Don't get me wrong, I really like Clemmons as well.

1. He did play AAU ball as many videos were posted of him this summer
2. I have not seen them, but I prefer not to judge off of highlight videos because they can be very biased obviously, but think about Jok. Everyone is keying off him. I'm guessing he sees a lot of double teams or at least help defense if he tries to drive. His opponents might not give him much of a shot to get into the lane, so why try?

3. I really don't think he's going to have that "bam" kind of first step, but he's long and lengthy, similar to Deng for the Bulls. He will more glide into the lane and be that kind of slasher.

That is what my opinion from people who have seen him play. Of course he still may not be 100%, or ever get there, so who really knows.

1. I was not sure if he played last summer.

2. I agree, good defensive HS teams can play a junk defense to really muddy things up and take lanes away. The true stud players still tend to find a way to work around this.... Dean Oliver, Ricky Davis, Kirk Hinrich, Harrison Barnes would just drive around guys.

3. I agee you don't have to have a "bam" first step but Iowa is looking for that type of player and I don't think Jok is that. Jok can be very good with that sneaky steap you allude to, more of a craftyness using lenght to your advantage. I think Jok can be very solid player during his Iowa career. He is 6'6 has a decent frame really and I would think he will get stonger, has great skills with the ball and can shoot. I think that translates into a solid player. Not sure if he will be great ie.. first team Big 10 but he can be solid.

I just hope he fully heals and his best is still to come at Iowa.

1. I was not sure if he played last summer.

2. I agree, good defensive HS teams can play a junk defense to really muddy things up and take lanes away. The true stud players still tend to find a way to work around this.... Dean Oliver, Ricky Davis, Kirk Hinrich, Harrison Barnes would just drive around guys.

3. I agee you don't have to have a "bam" first step but Iowa is looking for that type of player and I don't think Jok is that. Jok can be very good with that sneaky steap you allude to, more of a craftyness using lenght to your advantage. I think Jok can be very solid player during his Iowa career. He is 6'6 has a decent frame really and I would think he will get stonger, has great skills with the ball and can shoot. I think that translates into a solid player. Not sure if he will be great ie.. first team Big 10 but he can be solid.

I just hope he fully heals and his best is still to come at Iowa.

I'm not saying he's going to be a stud, but I don't want to dismiss that potential either. As for the ones you listed, only Barnes is a similar type of player to Jok. The others were smaller guards that had to rely on quickness to do anything with their offense, and I think Jok is probably the best shooter out of all of them. That potential to hit the open shot should also allow a lot of opportunities to put it on the floor and get by a guy that is closing out.

I'm not saying he's going to be a stud, but I don't want to dismiss that potential either. As for the ones you listed, only Barnes is a similar type of player to Jok. The others were smaller guards that had to rely on quickness to do anything with their offense, and I think Jok is probably the best shooter out of all of them. That potential to hit the open shot should also allow a lot of opportunities to put it on the floor and get by a guy that is closing out.

I agee. I look forward to Jok bringing something to the table. If anything else maybe he is a "shooter" who brings more to the table than just being a "shooter".

I think Iowa has a lot of very nice pieces. I just think they are missing that one difference maker that can help when the times are tough and everyone in the gym knows who will be getting the ball and they still sturggle to stop that player.

I see the kid on a daily basis and he's taller than 5'8 now. I'd say around 5'10 at this point.

He is first cousin of Travis Walton,former MSU guard,who was very solid,strong,athletic,but not overly tall...maybe 6'1''. If he could even get to 5'11''...tall enough if he is good enough,which I think he is. The lead guard for Miami, Larkin, is only 5'10'' but he is killing everyone in the ACC. I love Ulis's game,and hope he likes Iowa. Izzo is lurking,having been seen at one of his games recently.

The argument was made that Clemmons didn't run the offense during high school and that is why we are seeing the growing pains. Well, the same can be said in a way for Gesell. He did not run the offense during AAU, Paige did. During high school he ran the offense, but it was as the primary scorer and not as the distributor. He is a much better scorer than Clemmons and brings more to the table right now, which is why he is the starter. Gesell will only be moved to the 2 out of necessity to get the best lineup possible on the floor to start the game. His future is at the PG spot and it is bright. I think it was quite obvious that he wasn't real comfortable in the uptempo game for the first 2/3 of the season. There were games during the first half of the season were he made some questionable passes during the break along with what should have been easy passes, that ended up being turnovers. After that happened, he seemed to slow down a bit and think more. However, I think that started to change about 3 or 4 games ago. Lately, he has been getting the ball up the court much faster and has been doing better at the uptempo game.

Clemmons played with Denzel Valentine and three others that currently are, or will be Division 1 players. Clemmons was the third leading scorer on his team that he was never the first or second option. When I watched him play he got points on defensive plays (steals and blocks), offensive rebounds and a couple of drives late in their offensive possesion.

Gesell was the man on his team and deservedly so, but you can't compare the two High School teams. The team Clemmons was on is clearly one of the best High School teams in recent history in the state of Michigan and was loaded.

Not sure what I am missing, because I clearly think Gesell is a better PG than Clemmons. May not be as quick, but he is a better stand still shooter, better shooter on the mover, better passer and is very underrated defensively, IMO. With that being said, I have no problem with MG moving over and playing the SG. Don't get me wrong, I really like Clemmons as well.

Why is it Iowa plays a lot of zone with Gesell on the floor, but is in man when Clemmons is on the floor. Gesell is a better defender against SG's at this point, which surprises me some, but Iowa plays a lot of zone or gives up dribble penetration with Gesell guarding PG in man.

Gesell has gotten much better as the season has went along, but primarily playing zone with him at PG does not tell me he is underrated when on the ball.