2014 PG recruit Tyler Ulis visiting this weekend

I would have agreed a month ago. As it is Basabe has really upped his game. I think the bulb has clicked for him, and he is having fun, playing lose but tough, and he won't be coming out of the starting lineup again.

Well he probably will when he graduates, but hey if he can find a way around that, I'm all for it.

I see a starting lineup of:

PG Clemmons
SG Gesell
SF Uthoff
PF White
C Woodbury

That group doesn't have any true slashers on the wing. Uthoff can slash but won't be great at it. Jok fills a need at the 2 guard. He is a slasher and shooter. Gesell really is a better pg than 2 guard and a better pg than clemmons. He has learned to push the ball more and he is attacking more. I like having 1 underclassman in the starting lineup to help develop depth. I also think a jr or sr with experience typically is the best type for a 6th man. I wouldn't be surprised by that lineup but I feel like jok will be too good to keep on the bench.

That group doesn't have any true slashers on the wing. Uthoff can slash but won't be great at it. Jok fills a need at the 2 guard. He is a slasher and shooter. Gesell really is a better pg than 2 guard and a better pg than clemmons. He has learned to push the ball more and he is attacking more. I like having 1 underclassman in the starting lineup to help develop depth. I also think a jr or sr with experience typically is the best type for a 6th man. I wouldn't be surprised by that lineup but I feel like jok will be too good to keep on the bench.

Neither Uthoff or Jok will be a slasher, try again.

Neither Uthoff or Jok will be a slasher, try again.

More than gesell at the 2 would be. Jok is similar to marble as a player. And uthoff is a hybrid of white and marble. I have seen both play in person...they like to attack the rim and can also hit the 3. Plus gesell would be a 6'1 sg vs. 6'5 for jok. I know height isn't everything but it will help in defending other 2s and getting the shot off.

More than gesell at the 2 would be. Jok is similar to marble as a player. And uthoff is a hybrid of white and marble. I have seen both play in person...they like to attack the rim and can also hit the 3. Plus gesell would be a 6'1 sg vs. 6'5 for jok. I know height isn't everything but it will help in defending other 2s and getting the shot off.

Gesell doesn't need to be at the 2, Clemmons will be the penetrator. What a player is in high school does not necessarily translate to college. Because you watched Jok drive on Marshalltown doesn't mean he will be able to against Ohio St and Michigan St. But all this doesn't really matter because no matter who starts both Clemmons and MG will get lots of minutes, with a good portion of Mike's coming at the 2 spot.

I meant for his wt...I think he weighs similar to marcus paige who needed a yr to add weight.

Gesell will play a little at the 2 but I guarantee his main minutes come at the pg. He is a better pg in the long term than 2 guard. If that wasn't true he would still be at the 2 guard right now...but he is our starting pg...I have a feeling we have seen one of the last starts for clemmons...and I think he will be a great pg off the bench I am not saying clemmons is bad. We just have better players at other positions and gesell is a better pg.

The fact he's at the point right now is indicative of little more than Clemmons struggling and Fran needing to get Basabe in the lineup. But Gesell has struggled to effectively run the break thus far, whereas Sapp is a natural at that. He gets himself in trouble more with his post feeds, though, and that's why he's back on the bench.

Hard to get a solid read on a one game highlight video. According most of the articles posted, the kid has some talent up there with the best of them. He just lacks, even average, size at the B1G level. He's an intriguing prospect for sure.

The fact he's at the point right now is indicative of little more than Clemmons struggling and Fran needing to get Basabe in the lineup. But Gesell has struggled to effectively run the break thus far, whereas Sapp is a natural at that. He gets himself in trouble more with his post feeds, though, and that's why he's back on the bench.

Gesell struggled pushing the ball early in the season. But since he has been put back at the starting pg spot he has pushed the ball much better. I prefer pgs like clemmons as a coach but if I had a guy like gesell I would play him at pg because of his overall ability. I prefer rondo and clemmons types that are pass 1st and defensive guys. I just look at the make up of the talent coming in and see clemmons fitting in best as the 6th man because gesell is the better player and his spot will be as the pg because marble will be a 2 next yr and jok after. Obviously gesell will still play the 2 but the majority of the time will be as a pg.

Gesell doesn't need to be at the 2, Clemmons will be the penetrator. What a player is in high school does not necessarily translate to college. Because you watched Jok drive on Marshalltown doesn't mean he will be able to against Ohio St and Michigan St. But all this doesn't really matter because no matter who starts both Clemmons and MG will get lots of minutes, with a good portion of Mike's coming at the 2 spot.

Why are you so sure Jok won't be a slasher?

Size isn't everything, Gabe O. has plenty of size and can't play a lick. This kid can play. He's been getting his shot against bigger kids his whole life. He'll ad weight as all kids do at this stage of their life,

Haven't watched much basketball this year I take it?

Gesell struggled pushing the ball early in the season. But since he has been put back at the starting pg spot he has pushed the ball much better. I prefer pgs like clemmons as a coach but if I had a guy like gesell I would play him at pg because of his overall ability. I prefer rondo and clemmons types that are pass 1st and defensive guys. I just look at the make up of the talent coming in and see clemmons fitting in best as the 6th man because gesell is the better player and his spot will be as the pg because marble will be a 2 next yr and jok after. Obviously gesell will still play the 2 but the majority of the time will be as a pg.

Watching anyone not named Anthony Clemmons run a fast break has been painful and it hasn't gotten better since he went to the bench.

If you think Gesell can't play the SG then you need to tell all those Villanova undersized guards when they were really good that they couldn't either.

Honestly, I am not sure if or when Uthoff is a starter, I like Jok to be at SF replacing Marble when he graduates and see Uthoff playing the 3/4 role at any given time, but still getting a lot of minutes either way.

I have thought for a while that if Fran brings in a true PG for the 2014 class it would seem to me that he feels he will be playing Gesell/Clemmons together a lot, just a thought. Then he would have to have another PG to run the show in case of fouls.

Keep in mind that Clemmons didn't run the offense in HS at Lansing Sexton, it was Valentine, Clemmons is still a bit on a learning curve and I think that is what you are seeing with some of the mistakes he is making. That said, I feel he is the better pure PG that Gesell, but isn't quite there yet, but Fran had to get Basabe on the floor and right now Clemmons goes to the bench, I don't see this as a permanent move, but maybe it will be.

His tempo on the break is fine at this point. But he doesn't effectively run the break right now. I can't remember which game it was now, when Clemmons led a break that ended with Basabe getting an easy dunk. Clemmons entered the 3-point arc just to the right of the key, and drifted just a little towards the middle as he got to the free throw line. This pulled a defender with him, leaving an easy dump and dunk assist to Mel.

Gesell hasn't shown that level of instinct while running the fast break yet; it was the absolute perfect move by Clemmons to set that dunk up. And he's made a lot of little moves like that this year, that can make a huge difference. He's a natural at running a fast break; where he struggles at times is with his post feeds in the half court, which can be explained (at least to a degree) by the fact that he didn't typically run the offense in high school. That's something he can easily get better at, and when he does, I have a tough time seeing him being kept out of the lineup.

Why are you so sure Jok won't be a slasher?

LOL I know. I think it's funny these people who know that Jok was ranked #1 above Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins just a year and a half ago but that his injury was so crippling they think hes now the second Bawinkle.

So...Fran says Mikey G's future in the NBA is at the PG spot, but he's going to move him to 2 after one year of playing in the toughest conference in the country?

I love this board.

So...Fran says Mikey G's future in the NBA is at the PG spot, but he's going to move him to 2 after one year of playing in the toughest conference in the country?

I love this board.

1. I missed where Fran said anything about Gesell and the NBA. Not saying you're wrong, I just don't remember him saying anything along those lines.

2. 6'1" shooting guards are much more viable in college than they are in the NBA.

3. When people suggest he moves over, it's less about Gesell being a better 2 than he is a 1, and more about getting the best lineup out there.

I love this board.

He has already shown this year that he is willing to start Clemons at the PG and Gesell at the SG. That isn't a knock on Gesell, just Fran playing what he feels to be the best lineup.

1. I missed where Fran said anything about Gesell and the NBA. Not saying you're wrong, I just don't remember him saying anything along those lines.

2. 6'1" shooting guards are much more viable in college than they are in the NBA.

3. When people suggest he moves over, it's less about Gesell being a better 2 than he is a 1, and more about getting the best lineup out there.

1. 11/9/2011: Iowa men’s basketball notebook HawkeyeDrive.com HawkeyeDrive.com

2. Absolutely. Which is why his future is at the point. It's one of the reason he came to Iowa from all I've heard(take that FWIW). PG's are a funny breed. Taking the conn from them is like removing their testicles. If anyone could handle it it would be Gesell. But it's not going to happen. There is so much more to being a PG than just running the break. For starting in the toughest conference in America as a true frosh, I think Gesell is coming along fine.

3. Agree as well. I understand the purpose of this thread. The thing is....Clemmons was inserted in the starting lineup earlier this season because of the holes in other players' games. Not Mike's. With the addition of Jok and Uthoff, will that be necessary next season? Perhaps. We don't know at this point. I love the potential in Clemmons. And I understand that Gesell has had some decision making issues at the end of games this year. Not unexpected for a true frosh. I am sure there will be ample opportunities for both of the guards to be in the game next year, with Clemmons manning the point. I just don't believe you are going to see Mike move to the 2 on a permanent basis.

I also understand that recruiting a 2014 PG might seem to signal a possible switch for Mike. Again, I don't think that's the case. Fran loves his PG's and he loves depth at the position. Also, Ulis wouldn't be expected to come right in and man the show as a freshman like what has been expected of Gesell.

Just my thoughts. I could be wrong.

When Clemmons and Gesell are on the court at the same time, why do people insist that one has to be labeled as the PG and the other the 2 guard? Offenses do not have to be that rigid.

Latest posts