2014 PG recruit Tyler Ulis visiting this weekend

No he won't.

Next year, Gesell, Clemmons, Basabe, White, Marble, Ingram, Uthoff, Gabe, and maybe Meyer will be better athletes than Jok, as defined by quickness and/or leaping ability.

You aren't being a bad Iowa fan in admitting Jok is a shooter, Iowa desperately needs people that can shoot. He just isn't a slashing athletic 3 like a few are trying to claim.

He once was the slashing athletic 3 and he isn't 100% yet. The last thing to come
back (if it does) would be his ability to be the type to take you to the hoop and finish strong. With a summer with the staff at Iowa and good trainers he could very well become
that again.

Before Jok's injury he was a top recruit in the nation. Let him get to IC and play before saying wwhat type of player he is or will be.

Again I ask, have you been watching all of his AAU and high school games this year? How do you know he isn't continuing to get healthy and that part of his game isn't coming back? If you have seen him a lot let me know, but if you are judging your opinion off of the videos you have seen of him then I don't believe you over anyone else.

No, I have not watched all of his games. But it's more sound to assume he is the player he is right now, and won't become the player he was projected to be.

An athletic sophomore hurts his knee, and two years later is still struggling with his athleticism, why assume that he is going to reemerge on the path he was on as a sophomore. His knee injury changed his athletic trajectory.

Also, how many of his games did you watch when he was a sophomore, how many of his AAU games, how do you know what kind of athlete he really was?

Why is it Iowa plays a lot of zone with Gesell on the floor, but is in man when Clemmons is on the floor. Gesell is a better defender against SG's at this point, which surprises me some, but Iowa plays a lot of zone or gives up dribble penetration with Gesell guarding PG in man.

Gesell has gotten much better as the season has went along, but primarily playing zone with him at PG does not tell me he is underrated when on the ball.

I didn't say he was a better defender than Clemmons, just said he was under rated as a defender. I still think overall he is the better PG. I will have to watch more closely to to see if they go zone when Clemmons is out and Gessell is in. That could be a combination of the entire lineup on the floor at the time, not just Gessell?

No, I have not watched all of his games. But it's more sound to assume he is the player he is right now, and won't become the player he was projected to be.

An athletic sophomore hurts his knee, and two years later is still struggling with his athleticism, why assume that he is going to reemerge on the path he was on as a sophomore. His knee injury changed his athletic trajectory.

Also, how many of his games did you watch when he was a sophomore, how many of his AAU games, how do you know what kind of athlete he really was?

The point is you really don't know what kind of athlete he is right now if you haven't been watching him play in person. I have not either, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

What I have heard is that he is not using his athleticism that he has right now because teams are keying on him and making him shoot it, not letting him drive it. I'm not saying he has what he once was, but I don't know and neither do you.

Videos can be very decieving and don't tell the whole story. You really have no idea what kind of player he is because you haven't watched him. I personally don't either, but I will believe the people who have seen him play and understand basketball before I would believe a word you type.

Clemmons played with Denzel Valentine and three others that currently are, or will be Division 1 players. Clemmons was the third leading scorer on his team that he was never the first or second option. When I watched him play he got points on defensive plays (steals and blocks), offensive rebounds and a couple of drives late in their offensive possesion.

Gesell was the man on his team and deservedly so, but you can't compare the two High School teams. The team Clemmons was on is clearly one of the best High School teams in recent history in the state of Michigan and was loaded.

I think you were completely missing the point. I wasn't comparing their high school teams or their scoring in high school. There is no doubt that Gesell is better at putting the ball in the hoop than Clemmons. The point was that both of them are going through similar growing pains when it comes to running the offense because of what their roles were at the high school level. I love Clemmons and what he brings. There isn't another player on the team I like watching play defense more than him.

He is first cousin of Travis Walton,former MSU guard,who was very solid,strong,athletic,but not overly tall...maybe 6'1''. If he could even get to 5'11''...tall enough if he is good enough,which I think he is. The lead guard for Miami, Larkin, is only 5'10'' but he is killing everyone in the ACC. I love Ulis's game,and hope he likes Iowa. Izzo is lurking,having been seen at one of his games recently.

I've been doing my best to sell him on Iowa City!

This thread is bouncing all over the place so this post may do the same. Gesell and Clemmons will be on the court together a lot and also take turns running the point while the other rests. When Fran recruited them he said he would put them on the court together. He has and he will for the next 3 years. They are both too good and getting way too much experience to not be on the floor. Guards win championships. I'm totally impressed with both of them. They're true freshmen playing heavy minutes in the best year of the Big Ten in decades.

I've been aware of Jok since he was 14. That's when I actually met him. We are not Facebook friends I just met the kid back in the day. I was also around him some at Roosevelt before he switched to Valley. I saw him play last year while at Valley. He can shoot. He's athletic. I'm not going to argue about his explosiveness but I know this. He can certainly get around a defensive player that closes out on him to stop him from shooting the 3. He can then pull up and hit the jumper from 17 feet. This will make him a very effective player and contributor from day 1 next year IMO.

Ulis...How big is his heart? I want kids that want to win, have heart and will do what it takes to make the team better (Eric May's senior season comes to mind). Of course Bob Sanders was also too short and that didn't work out very well. He's just visiting...not worrying too much about this kid until someone says he's a Hawk but I'm also not going to say he can't play in the Big Ten because he's too short.

Ulis has has huge balls,and heart of lion.... He has an average team around him,yet he has dragged them to a league title and the #1 seed in their sectional. He has won big games with last second shots a number of times. You have Joe Hendricksen and a host of other scouts calling him the #1 pg in Illinois,regardless of class,in a state with a lot of top pgs,like Jaylon Tate who is headed to Illinois next year.

Keep working on him,Rod!!

Ulis has has huge balls,and heart of lion.... He has an average team around him,yet he has dragged them to a league title and the #1 seed in their sectional. He has won big games with last second shots a number of times. You have Joe Hendricksen and a host of other scouts calling him the #1 pg in Illinois,regardless of class,in a state with a lot of top pgs,like Jaylon Tate who is headed to Illinois next year.

Keep working on him,Rod!!

The kid definitely is a winner and has an intuition for the game that you don't see at the high school level very often. I think it would be a huge score if Fran could land him.

JHHawk, from the conversations I've had the last couple days it seems Iowa has a really good shot right now. People in his circle really like the program. Hopefully he'll come away impressed this weekend.

I will make sure to hunt him down on Sunday and try and get his attention. Something along the lines of "YO ULIS, HAWKEYE NATION REPRESENT!!!"

The people that evaluate players for a living (outside of Iowa fan Van Coleman) agree with me.

Its funny, if someone doesn't like Iowa recruits we say they don't know what they are talking about. If someone talks up Iowa recruits all the time (a la Van), then we still say they don't know what they are talking about.

I think you were completely missing the point. I wasn't comparing their high school teams or their scoring in high school. There is no doubt that Gesell is better at putting the ball in the hoop than Clemmons. The point was that both of them are going through similar growing pains when it comes to running the offense because of what their roles were at the high school level. I love Clemmons and what he brings. There isn't another player on the team I like watching play defense more than him.

I actually didn't miss the point, but you can't compare them unless you understand each of their roles on their teams. I am agreeing with you actually because MG didn't run a typical offense in HS, he was the offense and on AAU he played next to Paige, which is why I like him playing off the ball, he is deadly off the screen at the elbow.

Clemmons didn't have the ball in his hands on his HS team, or AAU. He played on loaded teams in both situations.

Both have growing pains, it is typical, it is a whole new level at College compared to HS/AAU. I like it when Clemmons/Gesell are on the floor together.

This video shows his ball handling abilities a lot better than the other one. All I've got to say is "impressive".

[video=youtube;XFA6MLVAe9E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFA6MLVAe9E[/video]

This video shows his ball handling abilities a lot better than the other one. All I've got to say is "impressive".

[video=youtube;XFA6MLVAe9E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFA6MLVAe9E[/video]

Now in that video he looks quick and has some of the best handles I have seen. Granted its a mix tape but the first series they showed with the cross over and behind the back dribble with a dump off to the cutter looked pretty.

Jok and Ulis (both in black) at the game.

ea3w5s.jpg
[/IMG]

Today's Chicago Suntimes announced their All-Area team for boys bb.
POY was junior Okafur, the #1 player in the 2014 class nationally.

Included in the honorees was Tyler Ulis,the junior guard from Marian Catholic.
In the thumbnail sketch for Ulis, he is described as '' the best guard in the state''.
Illinois has a ton of top guards in the senior and junior classes...this is a nice compliment.
Ulis and his teammates continue their run for the state tourny tonite vs Crete-Monee.
Good luck to them.

Latest posts