2014 basketball class

springfieldhawk

This seems to be a watershed class for Fran. If he hauls in a good class with a stud pg he will solidify the program going forward IMO. How's it looking for 2014? When do they sign?

I'm trying to find our top recruits, someone in the know can help fill in the blanks. These are who we have offered, not who is truly interested.

Cliff Alexander F (5 Overall) 5-Star
Rashad Vaughn (6 Overall) 5-Star
Paul White F (43 Overall) 4-Star
Trevon Bluiett F (46 Overall) 4-Star
Dominique Collier G (61 Overall) 4-Star
Larry Austin G (63 overall) 4-Star
Lourawls Nairn G (64 overall) 4-Star
Tyler Ulis G (69 overall) 4-Star. Visited on our win over Minnesota
Phil Booth G (76 overall) 4-Star
Jordan Barnett F (83 overall) 4-star

I'm trying to find our top recruits, someone in the know can help fill in the blanks. These are who we have offered, not who is truly interested.

Pretty sure we have offered 6'7 F Malek Harris . I know Fran and Coach Francis have both been to watch him recently from what I've read. Think they are really pursuing him hard.

Malek Harris,Sandburg HS, south suburbs of Chicago, is #120 overall,and being pursued very hard by Fran and staff.

Johnny Woodard, a juco from North Dakota is reportedly being recruited by Iowa also...he would have 3 years to play when he begins at Iowa in 2014.

And yes, 2014 is a very big recruiting class for the continued ascension of the Iowa bb program.
Must continue to upgrade our athleticism with this class.
Ulis,Harris and Woodard would achieve that goal.

Interesting... the lowest star offer we have is 4 star?? That seems impressive to me... but I don't follow recruiting much. Has there been a definite increase in the talent we are going after in compared to previous years?

I am hearing Ulis is Fran's to lose at this point. Izzo poking around but rubbing the family the wrong way.

I like the sound of that. How so? I don't believe Izzo has offered Ulis yet.

We were in on Ulis early, but he seems to be picking up more offers by the day. He is undersized, but very effective.

This class is very intriguing. Agree with OP that it's an important class and if Fran can somehow snag a stud or two would show that players are agreeing that.... WE ARE BACK! I personally think Francis is a key for us, he seems like a great, positive guy who knows how to build a relationship with the recruits. Really like him a lot.

I am hearing Ulis is Fran's to lose at this point. Izzo poking around but rubbing the family the wrong way.

Amazes me when people come up with stuff like this. You know this how?

I could easily see this being the case. I don't think Izzo has offered, so he is just hanging around. I think a 17 year old kid could find this irritating, either **** or get off the pot I would say to whomever was doing that at some point, especially since many other have stepped up and offered and are showing lots of love.

Now I have now idea it is is true or not though.

As JHHawk mentioned, I am inside the school. I speak with him almost every day, always pumping up Fran, the program, and Iowa City in general. He's a really good kid. No ego about him. Impressive to say when this week Izzo, Painter, Brad Stevens, Craig Robinson and Fran were all through to see him.

According to what I'm told Izzo not only still won't offer, but is kind of aloof about the whole thing. Definitely not sitting well with Ulis, his family or his coaches. Head coach really likes Fran and is in favor of him coming to Iowa City.

I'm pushing hard boys, let's hope I can get it done!

As JHHawk mentioned, I am inside the school. I speak with him almost every day, always pumping up Fran, the program, and Iowa City in general. He's a really good kid. No ego about him. Impressive to say when this week Izzo, Painter, Brad Stevens, Craig Robinson and Fran were all through to see him.

According to what I'm told Izzo not only still won't offer, but is kind of aloof about the whole thing. Definitely not sitting well with Ulis, his family or his coaches. Head coach really likes Fran and is in favor of him coming to Iowa City.

Make sure you keep Obama away from him Rod!

Amazes me when people come up with stuff like this. You know this how?

lulz...commence inserting foot into mouth Mr. Mod.

Ulis got offers from Florida and FSU in the last couple days. Here is an interesting thread from the Illini board. Groce has not offered. A handful of posters there do not want Ulis but think he will come to Iowa and terrorize the Illini for 4 years.

Scout.com: FLORIDA latest to offer "The U"

Kinda fun to read. I currently have Ulis number one on my board, just because the fact I think he could run Fran's system the way Fran has always envisioned it. Up and down the court, drive to the lane and hit shooters for open shots. With his quickness to get to the lane, it could really open up some holes for Gesell and Jok to hit 3's. Plus he would be a great fast break mate to Aaron White. Could make for some interesting basketball.

Number two would be any of the athletic 6'7 - 6'10 power forwards that we are going after. I've always liked Barnett but it sounds like he will probably be going somewhere else.

Kinda fun to read. I currently have Ulis number one on my board, just because the fact I think he could run Fran's system the way Fran has always envisioned it. Up and down the court, drive to the lane and hit shooters for open shots. With his quickness to get to the lane, it could really open up some holes for Gesell and Jok to hit 3's. Plus he would be a great fast break mate to Aaron White. Could make for some interesting basketball.

Number two would be any of the athletic 6'7 - 6'10 power forwards that we are going after. I've always liked Barnett but it sounds like he will probably be going somewhere else.

Ulis wouldn't really play much with White, a year is the most. So as you mentioned, good running mates at the 6'7+ range in the same class is really who we need to be concerned about matching him with.
I saw yesterday we are in Collier's final 3. He is 6'2 if I remember right and 4* athlete, don't rule out him being a great get if we could. We've been on him for a long time.