2 game suspension

When I was coaching, an opposing coach had written down all of his players' away numbers for a home game. He had a tech for each player with the wrong number in the book (even after being questioned by his scorekeeper!). I had a real good free throw shooter and we started the game ahead 14-0. Ended up winning by 20.

I hope that didn't really happen. If so, the officials blew it. There is only one administrative technical foul no how matter how many violations of having the wrong number in the book, or for any book violations for that matter. NFHS rule 10-1-2 (Pen.)

Even tho Barta's incompetent, you have to assume during his 'annual evaluation' of Fran he's brought up his baby-like temper tantrums and laid down some markers. As in "do this again and ... " I'd noticed Fran's relatively calm sideline demeanor this season and assumed that was probably why. It has nothing to do with standing up for his players -- a coach can stand up for his players without resorting to verbally castigating an official. Over the last 5 years, has any BTen coach gotten more T's than Fran? He used to treat the media folks with respect, now if he doesn't like the question he just glares at them. Even now, he doesn't apologize for his actual behavior, because he thought "it was a private conversation". I raised 2 strong-willed sons who played athletics at various levels, and honestly, he's thrown more temper tantrums than my sons have their entire lives. And yes, what other state employee can go on a public rant like that and not be suspended? No one. And yes, part of his punishment should be to call and apologize to the referee he verbally attacked. Egads, you're a grown man, Fran, start acting like it!

Andrew Francis will be acting head coach against Rutgers and Sherman Dillard against Wisconsin, as they have the scouts on those teams individually.

Doesn't this seem odd to anyone else. For a couple of reasons. First, don't we have an Associate Head Coach who would be the natural next in line if the HC is unavailable? Most schools do. Second, I want the coach that did the advanced scout for that opponent sitting and concentrating on executing the game plan, calling out the other team's plays, etc. I don't want the coach with the most recent knowledge of the opponent to be distracted by HC responsibilities that he hasn't had to deal with for several years (i.e calling TOs, motivating players, chasing refs down the hallway, etc.(JK).

And he has apologized for it. I'm more a less talking about the national reporters who didn't watch the game, know fran or his family personally, etc. who will sit there on social media and say he's a bad guy, and he's a monster, etc. His actions last night could have been better, for sure, not defending that although I don't agree with the suspension, but it is what it is.

The fact that you don’t think Fran actions didn’t warrant a suspension speaks volumes 94. Wow!!!

Doesn't this seem odd to anyone else. For a couple of reasons. First, don't we have an Associate Head Coach who would be the natural next in line if the HC is unavailable? Most schools do. Second, I want the coach that did the advanced scout for that opponent sitting and concentrating on executing the game plan, calling out the other team's plays, etc. I don't want the coach with the most recent knowledge of the opponent to be distracted by HC responsibilities that he hasn't had to deal with for several years (i.e calling TOs, motivating players, chasing refs down the hallway, etc.(JK).

No this makes complete sense. The acting HC should know the opponent the best, and the bench coaches should focus on certain parts of the game. I'm sure Fran knows the opponent the best during normal games and the coach who scouts that opponent is also yelling. Just because these acting HC had the scouts doesn't mean the other coaches don't know the opponent.

100% agree he is an ambassador of the University and to his family and himself and his team for that matter, no problem with that as he could've dealt with the emotion in a different manner (i.e. Brian Ferentz) by going to Barta and getting those officials reported to the B10 headquarters. I mean Robbie Hummel, who's my favorite analyst on the BTN, said after the press conference today he should've handled it better, but it's done he'll serve his suspension and we'll move on. That's more of my thought I suppose. I also was in the OP saying that the statements from former players and current players are not lame because they see Fran from the inside looking out and all we see is from the outside looking in. They are important and needed in a situation like this.

Also, 90% of us aren't NCAA D1 basketball coaches as much as we think we are on this board. But I get what you're saying. The OP (predator40) is a very emotional poster it seems.

But here's the point I don't get. That type of behavior is not acceptable in youth/rec leagues, it's not acceptable at the varsity level, its not acceptable at the juco level, and it's not acceptable at the NAIA, DII, or DIII levels. So I guess my question is, regardless of us not being division 1 coaches, if its not acceptable at any level so where does that entitlement that it's ok to act like that at the highest level of collegiate sports. IMO and maybe I'm reading too much into this, its nothing more than an excuse or justification for his actions and I simply feel that regardless of what level of athletics he coaches at there is absolutely no place in the sport for such behavior.

I'm not saying it makes him a bad coach, professional, or human being, but ultimately he is responsible for the choices he makes and he completely brought this upon himself and is solely responsible for any negative publicity that results from it.

But here's the point I don't get. That type of behavior is not acceptable in youth/rec leagues, it's not acceptable at the varsity level, its not acceptable at the juco level, and it's not acceptable at the NAIA, DII, or DIII levels. So I guess my question is, regardless of us not being division 1 coaches, if its not acceptable at any level so where does that entitlement that it's ok to act like that at the highest level of collegiate sports. IMO and maybe I'm reading too much into this, its nothing more than an excuse or justification for his actions and I simply feel that regardless of what level of athletics he coaches at there is absolutely no place in the sport for such behavior.

I'm not saying it makes him a bad coach, professional, or human being, but ultimately he is responsible for the choices he makes and he completely brought this upon himself and is solely responsible for any negative publicity that results from it.

I think the money involved with the coaches, AD's, league officials, and mostly the referees. I think the thought is that you can run out coaches like those in the under divisions because you always have another one. I also think that if there were no crowd noise during games, coaches could be run up on things like this all of the time. It's really about what's heard and what's not. I actually wish the lower level referees had more tolerance for conversations with the coaches or criticism from the coaches.

I do agree with this 100%, but the problem was he didn't say it during the game.

I totally get it wasn't in the game, just saying why I think a suspension isn't in my best interest in the situation. Give him a hefty fine, and be done with it. Just IMO. Not everybody has to agree with me. I just see other coaches doing things that aren't good either and don't get anything for punishment. I mean take Jim Boeheim for an example, the man actually killed someone the other day, and don't get me wrong you want to be sympathetic to the situation and his mental, but nothing has happened from the NCAA, ACC, or Syracuse. But because Fran called a referee a cheater who very well could be (another topic to discuss in another time; Fran is 6-27 with McJunkins refereeing all time FWIW), there's 2 games (not to mention senior night), and a $10,000 suspension. Like I said this is all in my opinion and you don't have to agree, but it is more than just being a "Fran Homer".

I think the money involved with the coaches, AD's, league officials, and mostly the referees. I think the thought is that you can run out coaches like those in the under divisions because you always have another one. I also think that if there were no crowd noise during games, coaches could be run up on things like this all of the time. It's really about what's heard and what's not. I actually wish the lower level referees had more tolerance for conversations with the coaches or criticism from the coaches.

The issue I have has nothing to do what was said. As you put it, I'm sure that just as much has been said and has slid by without even batting an eye during the course of a game. Sports are emotional and there is a human element to officiating so there's going to be constant differences in opinions, heated arguments, and the clashing of egos.

If he'd of said something as the players, coaches, and officials were on the floor immediately after the game I'd of had no problem with it what so ever. The problem I have with it is that it was in the tunnel. At that time it was about nothing more than a confrontation, had nothing to do with the game and was nothing more than a personal/unprofessional verbal attack at the official. I've expressed before there is absolutely no reason a coach should ever confront an official after the conclusion of a game especially once they've left the court/field, because they have absolutely nothing to gain from it and everything to lose.

The issue I have has nothing to do what was said. As you put it, I'm sure that just as much has been said and has slid by without even batting an eye during the course of a game. Sports are emotional and there is a human element to officiating so there's going to be constant differences in opinions, heated arguments, and the clashing of egos.

If he'd of said something as the players, coaches, and officials were on the floor immediately after the game I'd of had no problem with it what so ever. The problem I have with it is that it was in the tunnel. At that time it was about nothing more than a confrontation, had nothing to do with the game and was nothing more than a personal/unprofessional verbal attack at the official. I've expressed before there is absolutely no reason a coach should ever confront an official after the conclusion of a game especially once they've left the court/field, because they have absolutely nothing to gain from it and everything to lose.

I think after the whistle if anything is said it's meant as confrontation. I think if he says it on the court, I agree it's a non issue. But he did say in the press conference that he did it in the tunnel because he didn't want anyone to hear it. Somebody did, and now he pays the consequences, I'm sure we've all been there. I get what you're saying though. I'm at the stance where he's going to serve his suspension, get to participate in the senior night ceremony, pay the fine himself voluntarily (I know he should anyway), and will be back in two games and that's okay. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is, and the B10 doesn't care what my opinion is. I do think McJunkins should be looked at harder than he has been in this whole situation as I think Fran randomly saying he's a cheater knowing that's a pretty offensive term is a little suspicious as to what Fran thinks he knows of McJunkins, but that's one of the B10's beloved officials and that will probably never happen. Big recruiting weekend this weekend who don't seem to care that Fran won't be on the sideline, and see if we can beat a pretty good, and hot team in Rutgers. Looking forward to Andrew Francis taking the reigns for a game.

Latest posts