2 game suspension

To the point that you throw a tantrum then call an official every vulgar thing you can think of? No, the officiating is no worse than it has been in the past, it is part of the game. Underscore; GAME, that is all that it is. The officials had absolutely nothing to do with Iowa losing that game. This guy represents the University of Iowa (Fran), if an employee of the university acts in that manner, for the second time, he/she deserves to have their employment terminated. In what other profession are you allowed to act like a child, scream and degrade someone and keep your job?

Just go away.

How are these lame? Fran was clearly upset because he thought his players were being ousted by the referee calls, I don't think he would tell you that they cost him the game and would be the first to blame himself as he always has been that kind of coach. He thought the calls were unfair so he stuck up for his team and his guys, players notice that and support him. Also not lame because recruits see them and will take note of that after the national TV people think they run his name through the mud and don't know him at all.

I'm definitely not one to defend the talking heads, but they're going to run with it because he brought this completely upon himself. Fran is a face of a program, if he doesn't want this type of publicity for himself or the program then maybe he should consider acting like a professional and not a child.

I'm definitely not one to defend the talking heads, but they're going to run with it because he brought this completely upon himself. Fran is a face of a program, if he doesn't want this type of publicity for himself or the program then maybe he should consider acting like a professional and not a child.

And he has apologized for it. I'm more a less talking about the national reporters who didn't watch the game, know fran or his family personally, etc. who will sit there on social media and say he's a bad guy, and he's a monster, etc. His actions last night could have been better, for sure, not defending that although I don't agree with the suspension, but it is what it is.

Fran said he would present Nicholas Baer on senior night and be in the arena if that hasn't been answered yet.

Regardless about what I think of his actions, I'm glad to hear that for the both Fran and Nicholas. It's a special night for Nicholas and I'm sure it would have been really hard on the two of them if Fran were unable to be there to celebrate it with him.

To the point that you throw a tantrum then call an official every vulgar thing you can think of? No, the officiating is no worse than it has been in the past, it is part of the game. Underscore; GAME, that is all that it is. The officials had absolutely nothing to do with Iowa losing that game. This guy represents the University of Iowa (Fran), if an employee of the university acts in that manner, for the second time, he/she deserves to have their employment terminated. In what other profession are you allowed to act like a child, scream and degrade someone and keep your job?

Have you never played a high level sport? These guys (all players on all 14 teams in the Big 10) have their hearts and souls invested in the game and are expending a LOT of energy. As I had said, all they want is consistency. They haven't had it from game to game; heck, they don't get it from play to play. It's bound to overflow. Yes, when I played after my college days, I got T'ed up for saying some really stupid things; mainly when I saw things like what happened last night - INCONSISTENCY. Never swore but definitely said some stupid things.

I got 1 T in my playing days in high school. At that time, the player who committed the foul had to raise his hand when the ref called his number. I fouled a guy while he was shooting and left my hand in the air; got T'ed up for not raising my hand acknowledging the foul.

I agree that the officials had nothing to do with Iowa losing. But when Wesson mauls people down low and gets no call and then on the next trip breathing too hard on a player is a foul.... well, I can see how players would get caught up in the emotion of the moment and really not like what the ref has done. Officiating is tough. But making bad calls and then making a "make-up call" doesn't help. And to my point, if you watched the Wisconsin vs Indiana game even Dakich was questioning how something was or was not called a foul. Ethan Happ went for

So the answer is to make a statement after the game in the tunnel? No argument that the officiating has been a joke, but that doesn't come close to justifying what Fran did. He wants to call him out on it on the court during the game that's one thing, but not in the tunnel after the game.

I wasn't there but I'll venture a guess that Fran did let him know during the game, thus the T. The calls didn't change after that, though. They were still bad. Even the announcers were questioning why Chris Holtmann wasn't more angry with the calls - and that was in the first half.

Have you never played a high level sport? These guys (all players on all 14 teams in the Big 10) have their hearts and souls invested in the game and are expending a LOT of energy. As I had said, all they want is consistency. They haven't had it from game to game; heck, they don't get it from play to play. It's bound to overflow. Yes, when I played after my college days, I got T'ed up for saying some really stupid things; mainly when I saw things like what happened last night - INCONSISTENCY. Never swore but definitely said some stupid things.

I got 1 T in my playing days in high school. At that time, the player who committed the foul had to raise his hand when the ref called his number. I fouled a guy while he was shooting and left my hand in the air; got T'ed up for not raising my hand acknowledging the foul.

I agree that the officials had nothing to do with Iowa losing. But when Wesson mauls people down low and gets no call and then on the next trip breathing too hard on a player is a foul.... well, I can see how players would get caught up in the emotion of the moment and really not like what the ref has done. Officiating is tough. But making bad calls and then making a "make-up call" doesn't help. And to my point, if you watched the Wisconsin vs Indiana game even Dakich was questioning how something was or was not called a foul. Ethan Happ went for

Ah, those were the days (having to raise your hand to acknowledge a foul). Can you imagine that still happening today? How about even numbers for home uniforms, and odd numbers for road uniforms? :)

Ah, those were the days (having to raise your hand to acknowledge a foul). Can you imagine that still happening today? How about even numbers for home uniforms, and odd numbers for road uniforms? :)

When I was coaching, an opposing coach had written down all of his players' away numbers for a home game. He had a tech for each player with the wrong number in the book (even after being questioned by his scorekeeper!). I had a real good free throw shooter and we started the game ahead 14-0. Ended up winning by 20.

And he has apologized for it. I'm more a less talking about the national reporters who didn't watch the game, know fran or his family personally, etc. who will sit there on social media and say he's a bad guy, and he's a monster, etc. His actions last night could have been better, for sure, not defending that although I don't agree with the suspension, but it is what it is.

I guess you touched on my thought as well but from the opposite perspective. You're absolutely right that people around the sport don't know him and unfortunately now have an opinion of him. But apology or not, he's an ambassador for the University, the face of the program, the leader of the team, and above all else a father and husband. He knows he's in the spotlight at all times and whether right or wrong, sorry or not sorry, he put himself in that position and single handedly brought all this upon himself and those that care about him. There's a time and place for everyone and as I said earlier if he'd of let loose on the court and got himself his 2nd technical it would have been perceived entirely differently and this is nowhere near the headline it is now.

I get the apology and do I think he means it? Probably, but the fact remains 90% of us would be unemployed if we if we did something like that.

I guess you touched on my thought as well but from the opposite perspective. You're absolutely right that people around the sport don't know him and unfortunately now have an opinion of him. But apology or not, he's an ambassador for the University, the face of the program, the leader of the team, and above all else a father and husband. He knows he's in the spotlight at all times and whether right or wrong, sorry or not sorry, he put himself in that position and single handedly brought all this upon himself and those that care about him. There's a time and place for everyone and as I said earlier if he'd of let loose on the court and got himself his 2nd technical it would have been perceived entirely differently and this is nowhere near the headline it is now.

I get the apology and do I think he means it? Probably, but the fact remains 90% of us would be unemployed if we if we did something like that.

100% agree he is an ambassador of the University and to his family and himself and his team for that matter, no problem with that as he could've dealt with the emotion in a different manner (i.e. Brian Ferentz) by going to Barta and getting those officials reported to the B10 headquarters. I mean Robbie Hummel, who's my favorite analyst on the BTN, said after the press conference today he should've handled it better, but it's done he'll serve his suspension and we'll move on. That's more of my thought I suppose. I also was in the OP saying that the statements from former players and current players are not lame because they see Fran from the inside looking out and all we see is from the outside looking in. They are important and needed in a situation like this.

Also, 90% of us aren't NCAA D1 basketball coaches as much as we think we are on this board. But I get what you're saying. The OP (predator40) is a very emotional poster it seems.

I wasn't there but I'll venture a guess that Fran did let him know during the game, thus the T. The calls didn't change after that, though. They were still bad. Even the announcers were questioning why Chris Holtmann wasn't more angry with the calls - and that was in the first half.

Sometimes they'll change sometimes they won't but in my playing and coaching days I've learned two things. You never put a hand on an official during a discussion and you never interact with them after a game if you've got something on your mind because it's not going to change anything.

So he called a terrible game, no argument there. But what positive could possibly come from Fran's interaction with him in the tunnel. I'm sure that'll make things better next time they cross paths or Fran has an issue with a bad call.

Fran said he would present Nicholas Baer on senior night and be in the arena if that hasn't been answered yet.
OK I was wrong twice. Speraw must have had the Northwestern scout when Fran was suspended in 2014.

Don't know how he can swing senior night when suspended but there's lots of things I don't know.

When I was coaching, an opposing coach had written down all of his players' away numbers for a home game. He had a tech for each player with the wrong number in the book (even after being questioned by his scorekeeper!). I had a real good free throw shooter and we started the game ahead 14-0. Ended up winning by 20.
This is true. I've worked at the scorers table for high school games and once the ref has okayed the lineups and player numbers any changes will result a technical foul. Barring injury or illness in warmups.

OK I was wrong twice. Speraw must have had the Northwestern scout when Fran was suspended in 2014.

Don't know how he can swing senior night when suspended but there's lots of things I don't know.

He'll probably just go on the court pre-game and then leave.

This was the first time Iowa has simply been outplayed over the last two years. Fran couldn’t handle it. Makes sense.

You are kidding me. I like the players and the team but Sparty has clobbered the hawks much of both games this year. Izzo and his crew most often just rattle the hawks.