2 disturbing quotes.

You clearly don't know who you're talking to if you're even gunna bring up tiddly winks around me. It won't even take full intensity to beat a chump like you. Of course I'll bring it anyway.

Bring it on, little man, bring it on!

I still see those quotes as excuses.
theyre excuses for their own benefit more than anything.

They can't just admit that they don't have the ability to handle that sort of defense. But that's really the case.

Iowa lost that game because they couldn't handle that ball pressure. They don't have the athleticism, basketball IQ or the coaching to overcome it.

Pitino figured out how to beat Iowa with pressure when they put it on and came back from 17 down last time.

Last edited:
Call BS on my claim. That's your right.

It doesn't change the fact about White and Gesell's quotes. I'm still beyond words they knew they'd lose in warm ups. It's so sad.

Thank goodness there's the women's team this year. I can't wait to watch them Sunday.

We need more coaches like Brands. The Hawks beat Maryland 33-3 and he was not pleased with their effort.

The quotes don't mean that they knew beforehand that they were going to lose. It just means he could tell they were a little off. Or maybe all it meant was looking back with hindsight he can tell they were off.

I still see those quotes as excuses.
theyre excuses for their own benefit more than anything.

They can't just admit that they don't have the ability to handle that sort of defense. But that's really the case.

Iowa lost that game because they couldn't handle that ball pressure. They don't have the athleticism, basketball IQ or the coaching to overcome it.

Pitino figured out how to beat Iowa with pressure when they put it on and came back from 17 down last time.

You may be right. But players playing defense as hard as minny did wasn't a good coaching strategy. All coaches want their players to play that hard.

You may be right. But players playing defense as hard as minny did wasn't a good coaching strategy. All coaches want their players to play that hard.

Extending pressure with trapping elements is a strategy.

It's the opposite of the way a team like Virgina plays with their "pack line" defense .

except TBD

Maybe, but to this point in time this team is better than at the same point in time last year.

It's actually fairly easy to see them being better next year too, Whites not nearly the impact player Marble was and he can essentially be a liability in a half court game.

Gessell shouldn't have the ball in his hands at the end of games. Nothing good has ever come out of that. From missing game clinching free throws against ISU last season, to last night's two turnovers in the final minute, and in between with all of his forced drives where he gets rejected or loses the ball I just don't understand why we keep trying that. Give the damn ball to Uthoff or Jok who can actually make a play.

Easy now...We can't all be high end domino's players. And not every kid is the same. I coached and the approach for 1 kid is totally different than another. And because 1 player isn't as intense as another doesn't make the less intense player a "pu$$y" as you so eloquently stated.

That man of wisdom again. Maybe you should give Fran some advice.

What I took from White's statement is that he had a feel for the way the game was going to go. Maybe he was ready and he felt at least one of his teammates was not. Maybe he just got a vibe that things weren't going to go their way last night. It happens. Even if you are prepared as well as you can be, sometimes things go wrong. I could sense it when I played in college and I rarely saw court time. You may have been very naive when you played if you didn't have such a feel for your team; I'm not saying you weren't ready but maybe the TEAM wasn't together in being ready and some players can sense that.
All true.

And by their play at least two of the players not ready to play were the two players quoted. White has become really good at these post game letdown games saying the team wasn't ready while his stat lines are usually -meh- during these games.

He's not a floor leader. Apparently he's not pre-game locker room leader.

I don't know what you expect from them. The team had a letdown. Deal with it.

How about playing like they are capable of instead of having a freaking letdown because they aren't ready to play before the game even starts. That would be good for starters. You act like a letdown is something that just should happen and is okay. How about expecting that they are up for the game when they have a chance, a golden opportunity, to separate themselves from everyone below Wisconsin.

They can still do that, but they have to go through the rest of the season with one loss. And the Nebraska game cannot be taken for granted.

How about playing like they are capable of instead of having a freaking letdown because they aren't ready to play before the game even starts. That would be good for starters. You act like a letdown is something that just should happen and is okay. How about expecting that they are up for the game when they have a chance, a golden opportunity, to separate themselves from everyone below Wisconsin.

They can still do that, but they have to go through the rest of the season with one loss. And the Nebraska game cannot be taken for granted.

Thawki,

Don't waste your posts on people like this. It will drive you crazy. When Aaron White says "I thought we lost this game almost in warm-ups," and certain posters on this board says that was just their excuse for coming out poorly, you should save yourself time by responding.

Some Iowa football and basketball fans are apologists for the extremely soft minded Iowa athletes.

Thawki,

Don't waste your posts on people like this. It will drive you crazy. When Aaron White says "I thought we lost this game almost in warm-ups," and certain posters on this board says that was just their excuse for coming out poorly, you should save yourself time by responding.

Some Iowa football and basketball fans are apologists for the extremely soft minded Iowa athletes.

The good thing is, as long as the coaches aren't apologists it really doesn't matter what the fans say.

The good thing is, as long as the coaches aren't apologists it really doesn't matter what the fans say.

Your view point is one of the problems with Iowa. The fans DO have a say and it's with their dollars. You see, fans pay the salaries for the coaches. Fans don't show and things will eventually change.

The University of Iowa and many in the fan base have become so accepting of average results that it's become laughable to many natives who live outside of the state. However, I get the fact that Iowa Sports is the main game in the state of Iowa. They've got fans right where they want them.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a state where pro franchises rule and the college/university programs play second fiddle most of the time. That's why they have to constantly strive to be the best they can be. They're competing for the fan bases of the pro teams. Put an average, at best, product on the field/court of play and few people will show up.

Your view point is one of the problems with Iowa. The fans DO have a say and it's with their dollars. You see, fans pay the salaries for the coaches. Fans don't show and things will eventually change.

The University of Iowa and many in the fan base have become so accepting of average results that it's become laughable to many natives who live outside of the state. However, I get the fact that Iowa Sports is the main game in the state of Iowa. They've got fans right where they want them.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a state where pro franchises rule and the college/university programs play second fiddle most of the time. That's why they have to constantly strive to be the best they can be. They're competing for the fan bases of the pro teams. Put an average, at best, product on the field/court of play and few people will show up.

So you think we should quit going to games because of Whitey 's quote? I don't so I'll stick to my statement.

So you think we should quit going to games because of Whitey 's quote? I don't so I'll stick to my statement.

No. I'm not saying that about basketball at this point. Personally, I still like Fran and the style the Hawks typically play. However, when a 4 year starter says what White said after a game, Fran should be concerned. Fran's in year 5 and the Hawks, although in small steps, are improving. Especially if they make the NCAA other then the first 8 teams to play.

Now as for football, that's exactly what I'm saying in year 16 of KF. As long as KF is the head coach at Iowa, I am not spending another penny on the program. You did say the fans don't have a say and that's where I disagree with you. The mighty dollar speaks louder then words at the U of I as well as many college programs.

Please at least understand me on another issue. Personally for me, wins and losses are not my biggest concern. Sure I want wins, but I want an entertaining product and I want to see kids playing a sport at the highest college level that have a pulse at the start of a game. To play a sport at this level is a privilege and not a right.

Latest posts