2 disturbing quotes.

Why didn't you always win though? Were you not as intense in practice preparing for the game? Were you not as intense in your summer workouts as your opponents were? Sounds like just focusing on game days may have been your problem.

Nice try. Sometimes the other team is better. But you always give the same effort.

Again, the problem is 2 Hawkeye veterans said they knew in warm ups they were not readyn. It wasn't like they were playing Upper Iowa. They were playing a team who'd won 4 of their last 5 and only lost to Iowa by 2 earlier in the conference season when a shot was late by 1/10th of a second. How do you not get up for that team?

Some of you as apologists are about as big a problem as the teams intensity level last night.

I watched the women's team play Nebby after the men's game. Down the stretch the women's team knew what they were doing and went after it. They attacked and every player knew where to be and what to do and the result was an 8 point win. Contrast that to the men's team where they looked lost, nobody wanted to take a shot and ended with Gesell driving the lane twice with disastrous results. When was the last time we saw someone ask for the ball n a clutch situation? It seems like our players are more afraid of failing than they are of being the hero. At least this season has cleared up the question of why did Devyn Marble take all the shots last year.

Logic makes sure they are in the right place and/or only gives it to the player that is in the right place...to take their shot. The men don't have a senior point guard that is arguably one of the top 5 point guards in the nation. And this comment would still be true if Ulis was in an Iowa uniform. Logic is special.

It's not like people intentionally decide not to give full effort. It just kinda happens and it's something you can look back on and realize you didn't after the fact. People who think they gave their best effort every second of every game lack the ability to self analyze.

Yep, if you watch much NBA basketball LeBron has this insane, all over the place on both ends of the floor, desperation level that he's went to a few times in the playoffs, the second half of game 6 in the Finals in 2013, the second half of game 2 of the Finals in 2014, first half of game 6 of the ECF in 2012, game 4 of the Eastern Semi's in 2012. So why doesn't he just play that way all the time?

Of course it's not exclusive to Iowa. I am a life long Iowa fan though and that's who I care about. When a player says he knew during warm ups they were going to lose, that's one ginormous problem and it's not something you can teach or fix in 7 games.

Here's the real problem as I see it. You are correct it happens to every team. But at Iowa, especially in football and basketball, it seems to happen on a consistent basis. Most big time teams have a game here and there in a season where the intensity level seems low. At Iowa it's a recurring theme yearly and on an every other week basis.

But earlier when i said it happens to every team, you said i was making excuses. I think it probably happens to all teams about the same. It's just that some teams are good enough to still win the game when it happens so no one notices as much. When it happens to a team like Kentucky, they win by 10 instead of 25. When it happens to a team like Northwestern, they lose by 25 instead of 10. When it happens to iowa, they lose at home to a team they are slighty better then.

Nice try. Sometimes the other team is better. But you always give the same effort.

Again, the problem is 2 Hawkeye veterans said they knew in warm ups they were not readyn. It wasn't like they were playing Upper Iowa. They were playing a team who'd won 4 of their last 5 and only lost to Iowa by 2 earlier in the conference season when a shot was late by 1/10th of a second. How do you not get up for that team?

Some of you as apologists are about as big a problem as the teams intensity level last night.

I'm not arguing that they played with anywhere near as much intensity as they needed last night. I'm saying that anyone who says they've played sports and gave their max intensity level every single minute is full of ****.

Oh i agree it would be way better. These kids do have full lives though. My life isn't nearly as busy as theirs is and i don't muster up the same energy level day in and day out. It's just not possible.
I agree with you PC. And I agree with you that we think we gave 100% every game...but really didnt. I will say this though. I don't remember a game that I didn't have a tingle of excitement anticipating the game.

As far as being busy. Sure they are. They dont play a game every day. That should be the escape for them rather than the weight.

That's the frustrating part from my view: they're not doing this forever or even until they're 30.

But what's the proverb: youth is wasted on the young.
Been there. Done that.

I'm not arguing that they played with anywhere near as much intensity as they needed last night. I'm saying that anyone who says they've played sports and gave their max intensity level every single minute is full of ****.

This is about being ready or in Iowa's case, not being ready AGAIN to start the game. Maintaining an intensity level for an entire game can be debated elsewhere. When 2 of your most experienced veterans say they knew during warm ups the team wasn't ready, you already lost. How can some of you not understand this?

I agree with you PC. And I agree with you that we think we gave 100% every game...but really didnt. I will say this though. I don't remember a game that I didn't have a tingle of excitement anticipating the game.

As far as being busy. Sure they are. They dont play a game every day. That should be the escape for them rather than the weight.

That's the frustrating part from my view: they're not doing this forever or even until they're 30.

But what's the proverb: youth is wasted on the young.
Been there. Done that.

In all honesty, what they said was probably just coach speak meaning they need to be more focused.

Pfffft. Dominoes, checkers......wussies! Tiddly-winks is a man's game, played by real men. You bring it, or go home crying.

It's obvious sarcasm is lost on some people. But that's no surprise from this board.

Good luck to the Hawks this Sunday. Wonder if they'll be ready to play during warm ups?

Pfffft. Dominoes, checkers......wussies! Tiddly-winks is a man's game, played by real men. You bring it, or go home crying.

You clearly don't know who you're talking to if you're even gunna bring up tiddly winks around me. It won't even take full intensity to beat a chump like you. Of course I'll bring it anyway.

It is easy to say that since someone had an "off" game that they weren't intense. Of course body language, and everything else is going to look differently when you are playing a good/great game. Sometimes you just don't play well, it happens, and it doesn't mean you weren't "intense" or you were "lacking effort"....sometimes is just isn't your night.

That's true. But that wasnt the case last night. Not when I can hear on/thru the radio the iowa coaches screaming, "We need more energy"

That's true. But that wasnt the case last night. Not when I can hear on/thru the radio the iowa coaches screaming, "We need more energy"

True DDThomson. It was a hard game to watch except the final 3 minutes or so. A lot of standing around on offense. As Dean stated. Some nights are off nights. This was not the case for Iowa last night though. No intensity or as Dolph and Bobby apparently said no energy at all.

True DDThomson. It was a hard game to watch except the final 3 minutes or so. A lot of standing around on offense. As Dean stated. Some nights are off nights. This was not the case for Iowa last night though. No intensity or as Dolph and Bobby apparently said no energy at all.

Yip, and I thought that was apparent from the tip off, something just seemed "off" from the get go.

I do have to say that you might be "waxing nostalgic" about the past. Not trying to rip on ya, but just even saying some of the stuff you are means you have to be the 1 in a million that I have never witnessed, from pee wee, to Jr. High, to High school, to College, to professional athletes there has never been a player I have witnessed or played with who can bring the exact same intensity to every single game. You are basically claiming the impossible.

If you want me to believe you, I will need you to send me all of your game tape. ;) Or if you want to give me your coaches names, I'll ask them if your claims are true. Until you can do one of the two, I call bullsh!t on your claim.

I said just the opposite. I said I didn't always win. But you come out playing hard every game and be ready. The results are never the same. But when a player says I knew in warm ups we weren't going to win that's a huge red flag. How can any of you see this as anything other then a huge problem for this team or for an athlete period.

What I took from White's statement is that he had a feel for the way the game was going to go. Maybe he was ready and he felt at least one of his teammates was not. Maybe he just got a vibe that things weren't going to go their way last night. It happens. Even if you are prepared as well as you can be, sometimes things go wrong. I could sense it when I played in college and I rarely saw court time. You may have been very naive when you played if you didn't have such a feel for your team; I'm not saying you weren't ready but maybe the TEAM wasn't together in being ready and some players can sense that.

I watched the women's team play Nebby after the men's game. Down the stretch the women's team knew what they were doing and went after it. They attacked and every player knew where to be and what to do and the result was an 8 point win. Contrast that to the men's team where they looked lost, nobody wanted to take a shot and ended with Gesell driving the lane twice with disastrous results. When was the last time we saw someone ask for the ball n a clutch situation? It seems like our players are more afraid of failing than they are of being the hero. At least this season has cleared up the question of why did Devyn Marble take all the shots last year.
This hammer hit all nail.

Now I can't wsit for the threads saying this team is going to be better without white next year like what was said about Marble. Same song. Different stanza.

Yip, and I thought that was apparent from the tip off, something just seemed "off" from the get go.

I do have to say that you might be "waxing nostalgic" about the past. Not trying to rip on ya, but just even saying some of the stuff you are means you have to be the 1 in a million that I have never witnessed, from pee wee, to Jr. High, to High school, to College, to professional athletes there has never been a player I have witnessed or played with who can bring the exact same intensity to every single game. You are basically claiming the impossible.

If you want me to believe you, I will need you to send me all of your game tape. ;) Or if you want to give me your coaches names, I'll ask them if your claims are true. Until you can do one of the two, I call bullsh!t on your claim.

Call BS on my claim. That's your right.

It doesn't change the fact about White and Gesell's quotes. I'm still beyond words they knew they'd lose in warm ups. It's so sad.

Thank goodness there's the women's team this year. I can't wait to watch them Sunday.

We need more coaches like Brands. The Hawks beat Maryland 33-3 and he was not pleased with their effort.

Latest posts