what do you guys think about the frequency of night games in kinnick?

franstheman

I have family members who are SEC (Tennessee) fans and I've noticed how often they have 6:00 games even for non conference scrub teams. I've always personally liked that Iowa has one night game a year as that game is kind of marked as it's own special event, but to me there's nothing like a crisp, cool fall saturday morning in Johnson County that gets me in the mood for college football. So what do you guys think? Should we have more night games ala the SEC or do you like the current format with one home night game a year?

I enjoy 1 a year. I'd prefer the remaining 6 home games be at 2:30 though.

11:00 a.m. doesn't allow nearly enough time for tailgating, especially people that drive over an hour.

I agree about the 2:30 games. I love those start times. Especially late October-November 2:30 games are the best!!

I think the heat is one reason why they play so many night games.

I think I would be happy if Iowa had two a year, but like all the start times for different reasons.

Iowa played 3 primetime kicks in 2009. 1 at home, 2 on the road. If the hawks are playing multiple, that means theyre good or supposed to be good when scheduled. Ill take night games.

The night games seem to have been the equalizer when playing against higher ranked teams. The team sure does get jacked up to play team.

Put me down for "11 AM sucks" too. Terrible time to start a football game.
I think Kinnick should host two night games per season, and the rest 2:30 (in a perfect world).
This way, the feeling that a night game is "special" isn't lost because of high frequency.

In a perfect world, we'd have one home night game a year, and the rest would all be 2:30 kickoffs. Gotta keep the mystique of the night games. All 11am games should be banned. I hate early games.

I think all season openers at Kinnick should be night games, maybe go as far as saying the first 2 games.

The reason, Kinnick is not a very comfortable place to watch a game in. Unless you're by no-shows your knees are in someone's back, someone else's knees are in your back and your cheek to cheek with the people sitting next to you.

Add it 80+ temps and nearly 70,000 people is not a good combo.

I say start those early season games at 7pm when the temps are cooler.

I like one night game a year. Moving an early season game to 6pm would be nice, to battle the heat.

Otherwise, I love 11am. I get out of bed and its time for football. Then I go home and enjoy the afternoon and evening games.

I like one night game a year. Moving an early season game to 6pm would be nice, to battle the heat.Otherwise, I love 11am. I get out of bed and its time for football. Then I go home and enjoy the afternoon and evening games.[/QUOTE.
this...only downfall is less tailgate time.

Midwest football was meant to be played in the afternoon. 2:30 is just about perfect. Night games are cool (as in neat) but can be too cool (as in cold) if not done at the right time of year. Even October can be dicey as the Michigan game a few years ago was quite chilly.

Keeping it at one a year makes them special. Besides, there are dozens of other issues that make night games tough to pull off, such as no post-game tailgating and the consequent BRUTAL traffic, plus people in some parts of the state getting home near or after midnight.

Last edited:

Latest posts