**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

In keeping with the minor league theme of the last few posts, Jorge Soler stole home last night in AZL game........on a pickoff.

Pitcher threw to first for a pick-off, Soler took off from third.

I'd be surprised if he isn't moved up to Peoria in the next couple weeks.

I agree, although he might get a stop at Boise. We have a lot of position player prospects to be excited about, especially in the infield. Right now the concern is the lack of pitching prospects. The Cubs got Hendricks as a 2nd piece in that Dempster deal and he went from barely being a top 30 prospect in the Rangers farm system to being one of the top pitching prospects in the Cubs system. Vizcaino automatically becomes the Cubs top pitching prospect and he will not pitch until next year. Hopefully some of these young pitchers that have been recently drafted and pitching in the lower levels will pan out.

The pitcher they got from tx for soto, Brigham, sounds fairly promising. He should be a legit SP prospect with a 4 pitch repertoire, and hes got size 6' 3" 210.

IMO, they have 3 OF prospects that are 'on the radar' big time: Jackson, szczur, and soler. I hope they are all great, but considering the cubs recent history in CF, and the fact that it is an important position, at least one of these guys needs to develop into a great player. That will be key. If the cubs strike out on all three of these guys, Felix Pie style, that would be bad.

One other thing, I've heard that Baez is a near lock for a move to 3rd. He is good enough and athletic enough to play SS, but with Castro in the mix, Baez projects well as a power, toolsy, third baseman.

He has only had 71 at bats in only 3 September call ups. Cubs need to see what they have in both Castillo and Clevenger. While Soto was showing improvements at the plate it is obvious he is not the same hitter he was his rookie season.

If Clevenger or Castillo do not pan out they can always resign Koyie Hill.

I hope this was sarcasm. I never want to see Hill in a Cubs uniform again.
Personally, I don't see Clevenger or Castillo as being the long term solution at catcher. I don't follow the minors as closely as some here. Do they have anything down on the farm. How about Brenly's kid? Is he a possibility?

Personally, I don't see Clevenger or Castillo as being the long term solution at catcher. I don't follow the minors as closely as some here. Do they have anything down on the farm. How about Brenly's kid? Is he a possibility?

What about Castillo though, what are people's opinion of him? I saw he had a huge HR yesterday.

The pitcher they got from tx for soto, Brigham, sounds fairly promising. He should be a legit SP prospect with a 4 pitch repertoire, and hes got size 6' 3" 210.

IMO, they have 3 OF prospects that are 'on the radar' big time: Jackson, szczur, and soler. I hope they are all great, but considering the cubs recent history in CF, and the fact that it is an important position, at least one of these guys needs to develop into a great player. That will be key. If the cubs strike out on all three of these guys, Felix Pie style, that would be bad.

One other thing, I've heard that Baez is a near lock for a move to 3rd. He is good enough and athletic enough to play SS, but with Castro in the mix, Baez projects well as a power, toolsy, third baseman.

Add Almora to your list of outfield prospects.

I think Castro could be an option at 3rd if Baez projects better defensively at short. Also remember they still have Junior Lake playing shortstop along with Alcantara who is at Daytona both good defensively with a decent bat. You look down in the lower levels Amaya is playing really well at second base, they have Jeimer Candelario a 3rd base prospect they are high on, and they have this 19 year old first baseman Vogelbach who is tearing the cover off the ball. Other than catcher you can point to every position and be excited about the prospects.

Add Almora to your list of outfield prospects.

I think Castro could be an option at 3rd if Baez projects better defensively at short. Also remember they still have Junior Lake playing shortstop along with Alcantara who is at Daytona both good defensively with a decent bat. You look down in the lower levels Amaya is playing really well at second base, they have Jeimer Candelario a 3rd base prospect they are high on, and they have this 19 year old first baseman Vogelbach who is tearing the cover off the ball. Other than catcher you can point to every position and be excited about the prospects.

Yeah I forgot about him, to me, those three are the biggest OF potential studs but almora too. And yeah I think the position players and especially the infield looks really exciting. Lots of young guys with athleticism and serious pop. But the young pitching talent and depth scares me. They need to keep bringing in power arms for the future.

One guy that I'm interested in, yet can't find much about him, is michael Jensen. He's a 22 year old righty for Peoria and he's put up good numbers. He's only 6'1" and 185, but he has a nice W-L record (FWIW), ERA, about 6 IP/start and good K/BB rate. I'm looking for a scouting report.

Anyway, just a guy that looks promising, never heard of him before.

And yeah maybe Castro could move to 3rd long term. I could def see that, sunce there SS is pretty much the best position in the farm

Me neither, I threw up in my mouth when they reacquired him.

No, the Cubs are really thin at catcher. I would not give up on Castillo just yet, he is just coming into his prime. He can't do much worse at the plate than Soto.

Yeah I forgot about him, to me, those three are the biggest OF potential studs but almora too. And yeah I think the position players and especially the infield looks really exciting. Lots of young guys with athleticism and serious pop. But the young pitching talent and depth scares me. They need to keep bringing in power arms for the future.

One guy that I'm interested in, yet can't find much about him, is michael Jensen. He's a 22 year old righty for Peoria and he's put up good numbers. He's only 6'1" and 185, but he has a nice W-L record (FWIW), ERA, about 6 IP/start and good K/BB rate. I'm looking for a scouting report.

Anyway, just a guy that looks promising, never heard of him before.

22 is pretty old for class A ball. He should dominate that league.

Jensen does not turn 22 until December. But not bad for a guy drafted in the 26th round out of a junior college.

I understand that you want your prospects to be young, I get that. But to think that a SP prospect could be very good, and make it to the major league at age 25 seems good to me. Obviously, we all want to find the next 19 year old phenom and think about a ridiculously long career.

I think many modern players have spoiled us in this aspect. There are very few Bryce Harpers and mike trouts. Castro is the exception, not the rule. I think if you can develop nice and slow (an well), having them reach the MLB at 24-25 is just fine. If anything, putting the expectation of more rapid development/ascension through he minors is a bad thing. Pressuring the prospects ini reaching the majors at a really early age isnt good.

Now if there's a 20 year old superstar that's ready to play, then so be it.

Dempster got lit up in his first start giving up 8 runs in just over 4 innings. He is probably regretting allowing a trade to an AL team. But Soto went 2 for 5 with 2 runs, 2 RBIs, and a double.

Dempster got lit up in his first start giving up 8 runs in just over 4 innings. He is probably regretting allowing a trade to an AL team. But Soto went 2 for 5 with 2 runs, 2 RBIs, and a double.

There are very few if any lineups that look like the Angels, they are ridiculous, and I think Demp will be fine. I personally think the DH is overrated when it comes to pitching stats. yes it is one more hitter but only one. It may change approach and slightly results, but it's not the difference between 8ER in a start and 1 ER. That's execution of the pitches. Demp is good enough to get players in the AL out, just has to make the pitches.

I understand that you want your prospects to be young, I get that. But to think that a SP prospect could be very good, and make it to the major league at age 25 seems good to me. Obviously, we all want to find the next 19 year old phenom and think about a ridiculously long career.

I think many modern players have spoiled us in this aspect. There are very few Bryce Harpers and mike trouts. Castro is the exception, not the rule. I think if you can develop nice and slow (an well), having them reach the MLB at 24-25 is just fine. If anything, putting the expectation of more rapid development/ascension through he minors is a bad thing. Pressuring the prospects ini reaching the majors at a really early age isnt good.

Now if there's a 20 year old superstar that's ready to play, then so be it.

I have no idea if this guy will end up being any good. My point was he is more physically advanced than most of the players he's going up against so you can't just look at his stats at that level. We'll have a better idea what type of prospect he is when he gets to AA and starts facing guys more his age/experience level.

Potential future trades of cubs prospects include Brett Jackson, Junior Lake, and Josh Vitters.

I don't believe the cubs feel that Vitters is the future at 3B with his defense. They have some young prospects such as Baez or Candelario that may be a better fit. They also traded for Villanueva, though he may be better suited for 2B.

Junior Lake has a lot of upside, but missing a lot. With Barney under control for a while and few good prospects I could see him getting moved to help get better pitching prospects in a bundle deal.

I think we will see Vitters in Chicago this year. he may even be there next year, but he likely isn't the solution.

Also for Jackson, has high potential, and has high value. I could see him getting traded to improve trade packages. He's good, but strikesout a lot and not sure he'll get that figured out.

Just some thoughts as I looked at some of teh cubs top prospects.

Latest posts