Greatest Individual Game In Iowa History

There are also little to no consequences at home or at school in a lot of cases. Give them a sucker....not a suspension...or back to class 5 minutes later. Let them have their devices with them all day long.....and playing a whack a mole with them when they get them out.

You are right again. I undoubtedly agree that kids are given options now and not held to any accountability. And when they do mess up, they get bailed out much of the time.

Because I'm confined to my recliner for 3+ weeks, I'm bored out of my friggin' mind so I did a comparison of Mr. Davis vs. Father Fran.

I took out the first 2 years of their time at Iowa, which leaves 11 years for each.

I did count 2020 as receiving a tournament bid even though it was cancelled. Andy Katz had us as a 5 seed, so we were a lock and I counted it.

What does this mean? Hell if I know. I'm just bored.

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 9.06.58 AM.png

Because I'm confined to my recliner for 3+ weeks, I'm bored out of my friggin' mind so I did a comparison of Mr. Davis vs. Father Fran.

I took out the first 2 years of their time at Iowa, which leaves 11 years for each.

I did count 2020 as receiving a tournament bid even though it was cancelled. Andy Katz had us as a 5 seed, so we were a lock and I counted it.

What does this mean? Hell if I know. I'm just bored.

View attachment 9907

Are you recovering from some surgery?

Had 3 vertebrae in my neck fused. I've thrown too much BP and hit too many fly balls and ground balls in the last 30 years. Also, did you know that there's nothing on TV during the day? I'm going to be a terrible retiree.

I hope you heal fast. So, you have a couple weeks left or what? Will you have decent range in your neck after therapy or will it be a bit stiff going forward?

YouTube videos are your friend.

I hope you heal fast. So, you have a couple weeks left or what? Will you have decent range in your neck after therapy or will it be a bit stiff going forward?

YouTube videos are your friend.
I'm down until March 20th. The dr. said I'll basically have full range of motion. Worst part of it is sitting around and not being able to do anything. I'm not very good at that. My wife's already driving me nuts trying to keep me from doing anything. At least I have to sit and watch the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.

I'm down until March 20th. The dr. said I'll basically have full range of motion. Worst part of it is sitting around and not being able to do anything. I'm not very good at that. My wife's already driving me nuts trying to keep me from doing anything. At least I have to sit and watch the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.

No doubt. If you ever had to have elective surgery where you would be down for some time on rest, the first 2-3 weeks of the NCAA tournament would be the best time of year.

Did you kind of use that time to plan this or did it just happened that way?

You do know Mr. Davis also made an Elite 8 at Boston College with his guys. And, even Mr. Davis's players (who you say players you take more stock in then a message board post) said that without Mr. Davis coaching them they may not have got there....in terms of his Elite 8 run with Iowa.
Again, with his own recruits at Iowa he was less successful than Fran who is in a much, much tougher environment. And as far as players singing praises, have you had your head in a hole the past number of years? Fran’s guys would take a bullet for him. Every single one I’ve heard has nothing but awesome things to say about him.

You just can’t stand that a coach you don’t like is better than the one who’s not as good as you thought he was.

Say that five times fast.

Had 3 vertebrae in my neck fused. I've thrown too much BP and hit too many fly balls and ground balls in the last 30 years. Also, did you know that there's nothing on TV during the day? I'm going to be a terrible retiree.
Damn. Sorry to hear that and I hope you heal up way fast.

Looks like I have an excuse to get out of coaching in a couple years.

My shoulder is shot from BP, the funny thing is I never had an ounce of trouble with it until I started coaching. 200-300 nice easy throws from 30 feet four nights a week have done more damage cumulatively than all the years I played throwing the ball full bore, most of the time without being warmed up. It’s hell getting old.

Damn. Sorry to hear that and I hope you heal up way fast.

Looks like I have an excuse to get out of coaching in a couple years.

My shoulder is shot from BP, the funny thing is I never had an ounce of trouble with it until I started coaching. 200-300 nice easy throws from 30 feet four nights a week have done more damage cumulatively than all the years I played throwing the ball full bore, most of the time without being warmed up. It’s hell getting old.
I knew something like this was going to happen sooner or later. I had shoulder surgery (bone spur) 11 years ago, but haven't had any trouble with it since. I now throw where it was 50/50 shoulder/elbow, but it looks awkward as hell. Also started using legs and chest muscles as much as possible.

All the way through college, people have told me (and every other pitcher) to ice my arm, but I never did. Since I've been coaching I've never iced. I'm not some anti-vaxxer, etc, but I do think the body has a way of healing itself. Studies show that icing does not speed up recovery (just google "does icing speed up healing"). I think that, because of that, my body knows how to heal itself faster and I really never have lingering arm issues. Throughout college and beyond, RICE (rest, ice, compress, elevate) was sworn by. The doctor, Gabe Mirkin, has retracted his findings and now says that ice delays healing instead of helping and that icing will reduce inflammation and swelling, but those are necessary for healing.

I'm sure it's all in my head and I think it works, but I'm probably just some super-human (that had issues with a couple of discs) that defies science...or that doesn't throw hard enough to hurt anything.

One thing I do know is that my joints are going to be shot and I'm going to be pretty crippled when I get old. I have and still catch my pitchers every day we pitch in and out of season. I just love it all too much I guess.

Again, with his own recruits at Iowa he was less successful than Fran who is in a much, much tougher environment. And as far as players singing praises, have you had your head in a hole the past number of years? Fran’s guys would take a bullet for him. Every single one I’ve heard has nothing but awesome things to say about him.

You just can’t stand that a coach you don’t like is better than the one who’s not as good as you thought he was.

Say that five times fast.
I'm just mentioning Mr. Davis's players also praised him for leading them to the Elite 8. And Mr. Davis also led a team to the Elite 8 with his own players.

No question, players (and recruits families) are also giving Fran praise. He is a good coach....but with one glaring hole. Hopefully this is the year that goes away.

I knew something like this was going to happen sooner or later. I had shoulder surgery (bone spur) 11 years ago, but haven't had any trouble with it since. I now throw where it was 50/50 shoulder/elbow, but it looks awkward as hell. Also started using legs and chest muscles as much as possible.

All the way through college, people have told me (and every other pitcher) to ice my arm, but I never did. Since I've been coaching I've never iced. I'm not some anti-vaxxer, etc, but I do think the body has a way of healing itself. Studies show that icing does not speed up recovery (just google "does icing speed up healing"). I think that, because of that, my body knows how to heal itself faster and I really never have lingering arm issues. Throughout college and beyond, RICE (rest, ice, compress, elevate) was sworn by. The doctor, Gabe Mirkin, has retracted his findings and now says that ice delays healing instead of helping and that icing will reduce inflammation and swelling, but those are necessary for healing.

I'm sure it's all in my head and I think it works, but I'm probably just some super-human (that had issues with a couple of discs) that defies science...or that doesn't throw hard enough to hurt anything.

One thing I do know is that my joints are going to be shot and I'm going to be pretty crippled when I get old. I have and still catch my pitchers every day we pitch in and out of season. I just love it all too much I guess.
I was not a pitcher, never pitched a game in my life (outfielder). But I loved to play catch from the time I could stand up and I was constantly throwing and long-tossing the entire time I played. I still work up to long toss with my JV coach every day, mostly because I think it's fun. My dad was a dude who'd play catch with me anytime at the drop of a hat and for some reason I just frickin love it. I'm the same way with my kid.

The only thing I love more is hitting fungoes and I know (like you do) that I'm gonna pay for it some day. I'm 43 and already get sore at night from it even during the season. Mine is luckily muscle stuff so far. I have a group of about 8 kids who are field rats and they show up early to get grounders and fly balls and I can't resist it. I probably hit 2-3 carts of balls to guys before practice even starts and I know that's probably not a good thing for my health. They have no clue the reason I do it is because it's fun and I get to be a little kid again throwing up balls to my self and hitting them all over the place, but what they don't know won't hurt 'em.

This is going to sound crazy, but I truly think the wear and tear injuries with hitting come from being lopsided, meaning we do tons of repetitive stuff with only one side of our body. Some of it's right side and some of it's left side muscle activation, but it's always the same. You never work opposing muscles in a symmetrical way when you're hitting. I really think if we hit half the balls right handed and half left handed (which I cannot do), we'd be better off. Necks, spines, shoulders would get equal opposite forces.

You have WAY more years in the biz than I do or ever will, but even with what I've done I can tell my shoulder is gonna need surgery when I'm done and I hope my back is ok.

Do you have your pitchers run after games? My HS coach back in the day was a big believer in it and I've followed his lead. I will say I've had most of my guys tell me they feel better afterwards, obviously the idea being more blood flow without having to work the muscles and ligaments that are inflamed. I have no scientific basis for it but even if it's a placebo who cares, doesn't really do any harm and if nothing else it's a good post game ritual for guys.

I leave it up to my guys to ice because of the reasons you mentioned, but there's no way I'm going to argue with a parent who thinks his kid should ice. Parents are devilish fiends who exist for the sole purpose of sucking the life out of coaches. I keep my interactions with them to an as-needed basis.

Do you have your pitchers run after games? My HS coach back in the day was a big believer in it and I've followed his lead. I will say I've had most of my guys tell me they feel better afterwards, obviously the idea being more blood flow without having to work the muscles and ligaments that are inflamed. I have no scientific basis for it but even if it's a placebo who cares, doesn't really do any harm and if nothing else it's a good post game ritual for guys.

I leave it up to my guys to ice because of the reasons you mentioned, but there's no way I'm going to argue with a parent who thinks his kid should ice. Parents are devilish fiends who exist for the sole purpose of sucking the life out of coaches. I keep my interactions with them to an as-needed basis.
I do have them run after the game. I like having them get going and get their body back into sync, getting blood to all parts of the body, not just the ones they just used. I am right there with you on the ice. If they think it helps or if the psycho parent demands it, it's not going to hurt anything to do it right after the game. It's actually pretty worthless. The big leaguers do it because they have a lot of other things at their disposal to do to get their arms healed. They want to reduce swelling and inflammation to allow them to do these things (whatever they are).

I do have them run after the game. I like having them get going and get their body back into sync, getting blood to all parts of the body, not just the ones they just used. I am right there with you on the ice. If they think it helps or if the psycho parent demands it, it's not going to hurt anything to do it right after the game. It's actually pretty worthless. The big leaguers do it because they have a lot of other things at their disposal to do to get their arms healed. They want to reduce swelling and inflammation to allow them to do these things (whatever they are).
First new fungo in 14 years, my own kid broke my favorite maple Easton last year screwing around after practice. I was devastated. The thing just kept on going and would not break. My kid takes one frickin swing, hits it off the handle, and away she goes.

C0C6167C-5FA6-4D00-B21F-21E7AEC75ED6.jpeg

First new fungo in 14 years, my own kid broke my favorite maple Easton last year screwing around after practice. I was devastated. The thing just kept on going and would not break. My kid takes one frickin swing, hits it off the handle, and away she goes.

View attachment 9919
Nice! That reminds me that I need a new fungo too. Mine is pretty cracked and splintered. I think it's more athletic tape than it is wood. I'm ready to get out and swing it...if I could. My players, current and former, have been joking with me about getting one of these. I told them I'll be able to swing a bat just fine by May.

Screenshot 2023-03-03 at 6.08.26 PM.png

I did break a fungo over my knee (it wasn't that tough, but they didn't know it was old and weak) about 20 years ago when I got pissed, threw it, almost hit my assistant's windshield, called them a bunch of GD pussies, turned and saw a mom of a new kid standing right by the fence. I went over after practice and apologized like I've never apologized before or since and assumed I'd be losing my job. She said, "if you weren't going to say it, I was". After I got to know her, I think she'd have said something even more colorful. Of course, that was the previous generation...