Greatest Individual Game In Iowa History

I think it's more the lack of a structured home, schedule for kids, and parenting, ...................but I digress.

Trying to tie in something like officiating and coaches with what is lacking in our society is laughable.
There are also little to no consequences at home or at school in a lot of cases. Give them a sucker....not a suspension...or back to class 5 minutes later. Let them have their devices with them all day long.....and playing a whack a mole with them when they get them out.

Crazy thought...Sparty had to go 12-13 from 3-point range in regulation to win the game. Wrap your head around that...Sparty, definitely left shaking their collective heads at this thought...

There are also little to no consequences at home or at school in a lot of cases. Give them a sucker....not a suspension...or back to class 5 minutes later. Let them have their devices with them all day long.....and playing a whack a mole with them when they get them out.
Obviously you have never been a classroom teacher. Unless, of course, you were and, not very good.

Obviously you have never been a classroom teacher. Unless, of course, you were and, not very good.
You don't know what you are talking about. That is laughable. And in our wonderful state, with the current administration.....it is only getting worse. Kids get away with murder and educators are the scape goats.

Last edited:
You don't know what you are talking about. That is laughable. And in our wonderful state, with the current administration.....it is only getting worse. Kids get away with murder and educators are the scape goats.
Sorry. You are out of your depth. First, you are right. Your Governor is an enemy of public education. She is an idiot. Second, you are right again. The legislature is defined by right wing nonsense. Third, you are right again. It is getting worse. Now you are done.
I spent 40 years as a public school educator. HS English teacher, football coach, Asst’ principal, MS, principal at the high school level, asst’ Superintendent, 15 years as a superintendent.
Quick summary: public school students are a great bunch of kids achieving at a level so far beyond 30 years ago, you can’t even see it from here.
The vast majority are:
highly motivated, well behaved, responsible, socially conscious, and are too busy doing quadratic equations to memorize the State capitols, which is not a job requirement anywhere.
Yeah. There are some really difficult kids, mostly from homes you do not want to grow up in. I figure about 2-3% overall.
Parents today? Another long story.

Sorry. You are out of your depth. First, you are right. Your Governor is an enemy of public education. She is an idiot. Second, you are right again. The legislature is defined by right wing nonsense. Third, you are right again. It is getting worse. Now you are done.
I spent 40 years as a public school educator. HS English teacher, football coach, Asst’ principal, MS, principal at the high school level, asst’ Superintendent, 15 years as a superintendent.
Quick summary: public school students are a great bunch of kids achieving at a level so far beyond 30 years ago, you can’t even see it from here.
The vast majority are:
highly motivated, well behaved, responsible, socially conscious, and are too busy doing quadratic equations to memorize the State capitols, which is not a job requirement anywhere.
Yeah. There are some really difficult kids, mostly from homes you do not want to grow up in. I figure about 2-3% overall.
Lol

The vast majority are:
Welp, thanks for your service first in education....however, some would not paint your picture as rosey...or near rosey as you would put it. Depends on where you are at. And those numbers.....2 to 3%....we are talking half of classes now in general education rooms full of behavioral issues.....because the system is afraid of lawsuits.....have their heads so far up restorative justice that they forget about the kids and educators that are being driven into the ground on a daily basis by the kids that can't handle being in a general education environment.....even with accommodations. Assaulting teachers, kids, property damage, skipping class, playing on their phone, running the halls, you name it. That is reality in some corners. That is the front lines. Motivation....if that means getting into trouble and not being productive day in and day out and working on a future career of correspondence courses behind bars.....it is very sad. And then there is the kids your heart breaks for because of all the instructional time lost because we are more concerned about how bad johnny or jill has it and we can't shove that sucker, or ipad in their face fast enough to pacify them....and even then that does not work....especially if you buy into Alfie Kohn.

It won't get any better until the school admins get a back-bone and in combination of the people of Iowa voting much differently. And yes, parenting is where the rot happens.

Yes certainly special education law does provide more red-tape if kid is on an IEP or 504 plan. But, kids are running the show and they know they can get away with things because the discipline system is paper thin. In fact, in some places it is a bad joke.

Public schools are hurting here. Hurting all around the country. But, again I would argue, the civil discourse of our country is broke. There is no middle ground, entitlement, you can't tell me the F what to do, I didn't do it, my way is the only way..and so on and so forth.

Last edited:
Welp, thanks for your service first in education....however, some would not paint your picture as rosey...or near rosey as you would put it. Depends on where you are at. And those numbers.....2 to 3%....we are talking half of classes now in general education rooms full of behavioral issues.....because the system is afraid of lawsuits.....have their heads so far up restorative justice that they forget about the kids and educators that are being driven into the ground on a daily basis by the kids that can't handle being in a general education environment.....even with accommodations. Assaulting teachers, kids, property damage, skipping class, playing on their phone, running the halls, you name it. That is reality in some corners. That is the front lines. Motivation....if that means getting into trouble and not being productive day in and day out and working on a future career of correspondence courses behind bars.....it is very sad. And then there is the kids your heart breaks for because of all the instructional time lost because we are more concerned about how bad johnny or jill has it and we can't shove that sucker, or ipad in their face fast enough to pacify them....and even then that does not work....especially if you buy into Alfie Kohn.

It won't get any better until the school admins get a back-bone and in combination of the people of Iowa voting much differently. And yes, parenting is where the rot happens.

Yes certainly special education law does provide more red-tape if kid is on an IEP or 504 plan. But, kids are running the show and they know they can get away with things because the discipline system is paper thin.

Public schools are hurting here.
You and I are on the same page in regard to special needs programs. Public schools are tied up with law suits, relentless advocates who goad parents into lawsuits, and the legal system which controls special education programs.

Our 2000 kid district, where I served as superintendent for 12 years before retirement, budgeted nearly $100,000 annually in attorney fees, 99% of which was special Ed program conflicts.

To place a student we had no business trying to accommodate in our District in an appropriate off site program was tens of thousands of $ with little help from State or Fed $$. These are the kids you mention above which are, for the most part, medically diagnosed as “emotionally disabled.” The tests for placement in these programs are scientifically reliable, and of course, for us to challenge medical professionals is a fool’s errand. Try that in front of an attorney or judge.

The problem remains that public school education is no way trained to accommodate them. You would need to hire $200,000 a year PhD’s in one on one situations to provide real education for them. Private schools just continue to refuse to enroll them, of course.

As to today’s regular Ed students: if you think bad behavior students interfere with with regular students‘ ability to learn, you are a victim of mythology. A rare event at worst, an excuse at best.

Fear of lawsuits. My Phd focused on school law and finance. The insurance companies are the villain here, not the school administrators. They simply refuse to cover us if we don‘t follow their rules. Sound familiar? How is your health insurance going for you? We are not afraid. I wish you could have been in the room with me when I confronted insurance company attorneys.

Restorative Justice. What the hell is that? Define and document, please.

You have no idea the political pressures school administrators place on legislators. We met monthly with our state reps and they did not enjoy our interactions. Then they would just go vote party line. Moral cowards.

Two of my three kids are teachers, one regular Ed, one multi categorical special Ed. They have fought the good fight for years and essentially are in concert with what I have posted here, as have most of the outstanding teachers I have had the privilege to serve with over many years.

To be clear, I have not served in an inner city district, and am sadly aware of the challenges there. Not sure where to start. Also, my empathy for children with special needs is unwavering. But, if I were God, I would fix the system without mercy for the enemy.

Last edited:
You and I are on the same page in regard to special needs programs. Public schools are tied by law suits, relentless advocates who goad parents into lawsuits. Our 2000 kid district, where In served for 12 years, budgeted nearly $100,000 annually in attorney fees, 99% was special Ed program conflicts.
Ya, it is a fucked system. My personal opinion, school system have to fight back harder. When 75-90% of the power (and I hate to use that word because I would like to think educators don't get into education to be a tyrant) or cards are held by parents and the kids......this is what happens.....especially if you are an educator in an at risk, low SES environment....along with a SSA budget that has been severely underfunded for arguably at least over a decade or more.

Fry. I know this should probably be moved to a different thread. I just wanted to keep my focus on this topic. I meant no disrespect for the rules. Proceed as you desire, of course. Thanks.

Ya, it is a fucked system. My personal opinion, school system have to fight back harder. When 75-90% of the power (and I hate to use that word because I would like to think educators don't get into education to be a tyrant) or cards are held by parents and the kids......this is what happens.....especially if you are an educator in an at risk, low SES environment....along with a SSA budget that has been severely underfunded for arguably at least over a decade or more.
We certainly agree more than disagree, and our posts have been respectful. Thank you for listening to me.

He's got a three plus decade hard-on for Tom Davis. Any coach who isn't Tom Davis ain't Tom Davis and can never live up to the awesomeness that was Tom Davis. Tom Davis probably couldn't even live up to Tom Davis in @HaydenHawk56 's eyes.

Here's a little nugget for everyone...

Mr Tom was 89-87 in the B1G after Raveling's recruits were done. That's .506

Fran is 95-75 in the B1G since Fraud and Lick's recruits were done. That's .558

Davis made a couple sweet sixteens and an elite 8 in his first year with guys he didn't recruit while still benefitting from the sunset of Lute Olson (that's an Iowa coach who really deserves accolades). Other than that he was a pretty mediocre coach and lazy recruiter in a college landscape that was much less forgiving and not near as tough as the one Fran coaches in, from recruiting, retention, NCAA scrutiny, social media, longer schedules, you name it.
Correction, Fran is now 96-75 in the B1G since Fraud and Lick's recruits. That's now .561

Correction, Fran is now 96-75 in the B1G since Fraud and Lick's recruits. That's now .561
You do know Mr. Davis also made an Elite 8 at Boston College with his guys. And, even Mr. Davis's players (who you say players you take more stock in then a message board post) said that without Mr. Davis coaching them they may not have got there....in terms of his Elite 8 run with Iowa.

Fran is clearly going to pass Mr. Davis for all time wins and already has an appreciably better winning percentage. Mr. Davis clearly had more success in the NCAA tourney. If Fran retired after this season, there would be a healthy debate of greatest Iowa coach of the modern era (its getting harder and harder to say that Lute was part of the "modern era" and his sample size is also pretty small). But, I don't see Fran leaving Iowa before his last son comes through the ranks. I suspect Fran will get to a second weekend of the tourney one of these years, and will pile on more and more wins. I would be very surprised if, when Fran retires, he is not definitively the best Iowa coach of most of our life times. Love them both.

Five years ago, there was a healthy debate as to whether Fry or KF had the best resume in modern Iowa FB history. That is no longer a reasonable debate. The same will be true of Mr. Davis/Fran in a few years.

Latest posts