The world we live in...

Until the country/world goes to nuclear power the carbon footprint (which is a stupid, euphemistic term) of an electric vehicle is the exact same. So climate change is in no way going to be affected by EVs like people claim. They are not green. It takes the same amount of energy to move a 2,000 lb car one mile whether it's by electricity or gas/diesel. One might say...yes, but 49% of electricity in the US comes from "renewable" sources...

They may be technically correct, but those people stop there because stopping there suits their arguments. They don't look at the MASSIVE "carbon footprint" of lithium production, or the net negative of windmill and solar construction. It takes way more energy and emissions to design, manufacture, install, and operate a windmill than it will ever generate in it's lifetime. But it makes the vegan squad happy so the lie just keeps on going.

Climate change is real. But as a society we've been duped by both sides of the argument into thinking it's more complex than it is. The scientists need to feel validated about their smartness and need to get retweets on the news, and make climate change an enigma that can never really be pinned down. Like ancient bishops who made religion confusing to keep the peasants tuned in, they do the same with whatever topic is at hand. Right now it's climate change

The other side denies climate change so they can get interviews and votes from the bearded AR-15, Dodge Ram community. Two sides of the exact same coin.

Climate change is fucking simple. Being able to fix it...my opinion is that we're too far gone and we're going to land somewhere between a miracle solution and Mad Max. I won't be alive to see how it turns out. Here's what you need to do to stop making the problem worse.

1) Nuclear power. It's the only way. The formula is solved, we know how to generate nuclear power but the vegan squad doesn't like it, and even if they did we can't put plants up fast enough to help so no one even tries. We screwed the pooch.

2) Upgrade the country's electrical capacity. Not feasible. Would take several decades and cost trillions, and we don't have several decades or trillions. The hemp heroes spent too much time getting their masters in Creative Studies instead of taking engineering courses, so they don't understand that our electrical grid, infrastructure, and generation capacity are still the same as they were in the 40s and 50s. And this isn't a problem of generating more electricity. It's about getting it to your garage outlet. You need more power plants (of the nuclear variety that no one wants to build), more transmission lines, bigger substations, heavier distribution lines, bigger transformers outside your house, and different wiring in every single house or business. Now imagine the millions of miles of electrical poles and wires in every back alley and country road and suburban neighborhood in America, and you can see we're screwed. I'm waiting gleefully for the day when Greta Thunberg gets her wish and all the hippies try to plug their cars in at once. HOW DARE YOU!

3) Solve the methane problem. This is the only one I think we can do. There's a ton of money to be made and plenty of nerds...they just need something to kickstart them. The whole, "we need to stop raising livestock" is stupid., First of all people won't go for it no matter how much you persuade them. Second, there aren't enough food and protein sources to feed everyone. Even if you found enough food and protein, people ain't gonna quit eating animals so you're just pissing up a rope.

So there you go, folks. Solve three problems and we'd have a fighter's chance. Me personally, I ain't got a shred of faith in a population where people are rioting in the streets because they can't buy a $22,000 Taylor Swift ticket. Sorry 'bout your luck with those hurricanes coming soon to you folks in Florida.
Where I live out here in the sticks of TN this is the issue... I mean nothings been updated since the 60s at the earliest around here I bet. We are about to have an ice storm this afternoon and I'd damn near bet the farm that I'll lose power over it. And not just lose it but it'll be a 3-10 day fiasco because our line is so long. Even though it's supposed to warm up tomorrow and will be in the 50s again by Thursday. Any problem just affects so many of us out here and takes forever for them to fix. Out here we are way behind in the times...

Where I live out here in the sticks of TN this is the issue... I mean nothings been updated since the 60s at the earliest around here I bet. We are about to have an ice storm this afternoon and I'd damn near bet the farm that I'll lose power over it. And not just lose it but it'll be a 3-10 day fiasco because our line is so long. Even though it's supposed to warm up tomorrow and will be in the 50s again by Thursday. Any problem just affects so many of us out here and takes forever for them to fix. Out here we are way behind in the times...
Yep. Our power grid is in no way ready for even a moderate amount of EV usage.

Yep. Our power grid is in no way ready for even a moderate amount of EV usage.

The last mile of it will cost trillions of dollars to rebuild. Those older green transformer boxes in the yards of every fourth house or whatever can each only handle a few EVs at a time and if you kick four on at exactly the same time you'll supposedly blow them up due to the initial draw. And that's just in the neighborhoods, that's not even including the massive upgrades needed to get the power into the neighborhoods or the infrastructure necessary to juice up the baseload. They've known about this for over a decade. The American Recovery and Reinvestment was supposed to start working on those and other major grid issues back around 2010. Progress has been minimal.

The last mile of it will cost trillions of dollars to rebuild. Those older green transformer boxes in the yards of every fourth house or whatever can each only handle a few EVs at a time and if you kick four on at exactly the same time you'll supposedly blow them up due to the initial draw. And that's just in the neighborhoods, that's not even including the massive upgrades needed to get the power into the neighborhoods or the infrastructure necessary to juice up the baseload. They've known about this for over a decade. The American Recovery and Reinvestment was supposed to start working on those and other major grid issues back around 2010. Progress has been minimal.
The majority of homes in the country are still 100, maybe 150 amp services, which will only allow the 120 volt level 1 chargers, which will only charge at around 2 miles of range per hour. You can do the math and see how that won't work. charging for 250 miles of range is gonna take over 5 days. Charging for short drives at home and long drives at power stations sounds quaint, but right now only 1% of vehicles on the road are electric. Imagine 20% of the cars on the road looking for some place to plug in (ignoring the fact that we don't even have enough electricity for that, period).

The hippies can say it will work all they want, but scaling this whole thing up is gonna cause huge (and hilarous) problems.

Or, after reading through this thread, here is what happens:

1. Electric vehicles will be required in metro areas And will experience growth nation wide.
2. Wind and solar will continue to grow Fast.
3. Ethanol at 10% still saves a gallon of gas with every 10 gallons pumped.
4. Kwik Trip has begun to plan for control of charging stations in a huge area, just a beginning of local progress that will spread.
5. Coal will be phased out in the US.
6. Nuclear Power will be phased in.
7. Oil will die a natural death.
8. High speed rail will grow over time.
9. Natural gas will be around for a very long time.
10. Infrastructure will be financed, grow, and produce job growth beyond belief.

Don’t agree? No problem. Speculation, yes. And, a bunch of speculation in previous posts disguised as facts. I won’t be around to see a lot of what I predict is coming. But, it will be fun to watch in the meantime. Prost!

1. Electric vehicles will be required in metro areas And will experience growth nation wide.
4. Kwik Trip has begun to plan for control of charging stations in a huge area, just a beginning of local progress that will spread.
10. Infrastructure will be financed, grow, and produce job growth beyond belief.

Don’t agree? No problem. Speculation, yes. And, a bunch of speculation in previous posts disguised as facts. I won’t be around to see a lot of what I predict is coming. But, it will be fun to watch in the meantime. Prost!

Speculation disguised as facts...a great general summary of much of the information landscape we inhabit!

LMAO. You've probably been saying some iteration of the same thing since about 1978. Next year, buddy. Next year.

Please move this thread to the appropriate forum. I thought we were running a tight ship around here?

Apparently you only get yelled at for mentioning racial bias or covid, both of which have been way more applicable to Iowa football in recent years than some of these takes on climate change.

I'm thinking of a word. Three letters. Rhymes with can, Dan, fan, Gann, Jan, LAN, man, pan, ran, tan, van. Was a deodorant brand that was really popular in the '80s.

Do what I did once, this after losing power from the Derecho. Go to Harbor Freight and pick you up one of those portable generators and don't open it until you need it. If you don't need it, they will take it back and not gripe at all unless it was opened. When I did it, they didn't charge any restock fee. This will at least keep your refrigerator and freezer going.

I shouldn't be stating my idea.

I can only imagine the scheduled rolling blackouts across the entire country is this ever comes to fruition. I know the west coast already gets to appreciate them.

LMAO. You've probably been saying some iteration of the same thing since about 1978. Next year, buddy. Next year.

Lol. I remember seeing about every farm in the 1970's having a windmill churning. I also remember solar being around since the later 1970's and 1980's.

Do what I did once, this after losing power from the Derecho. Go to Harbor Freight and pick you up one of those portable generators and don't open it until you need it. If you don't need it, they will take it back and not gripe at all unless it was opened. When I did it, they didn't charge any restock fee. This will at least keep your refrigerator and freezer going.

I shouldn't be stating my idea.
Public service announcement, and I'm not in any way saying you did this, but don't use a male/male cord to back feed your whole house off of a generator. Any voltage you put on your house wiring will feed right back out to the transformer outside your house and be stepped up to 7,200, 13,800, or whatever your local distribution voltage is and it will kill a lineman. Electrical transformers work in reverse and don't care which direction they're fed from. If you have 13.8kV stepped down to 240v going into your house, if you put 240v leads on that exact same transformer it will put 13.8kV on the lines on the pole and down your street to any poor son of a bitch who might come in contact with it.

A classmate of mine got killed in Nebraska by someone who did that.

Your newest rhetorical device is "LMAO." Your troll game is getting soft, bro.

Weren't you one of these clean coal advocates years ago? Now it's clean gasoline? At least you're advancing.

I'd love to go back a decade and see what some of you were saying about climate change back then. I remember, but I don't know if some of you do. I particularly enjoyed the comments about windmills back then (in addition to "clean" coal). Also remember Al Gore being skewered for his predictions. Now, it's just "we have to keep petrol the way it is...there is no other choice" *okeefe checks petrol investment portfolio. Yes, that's it! Things are fine.

Lol. I remember seeing about every farm in the 1970's having a windmill churning. I also remember solar being around since the later 1970's and 1980's.
The windmills are the same right? The ones now vs the old farm ones? What percentage of energy does Ioway get from wind now? Do you know?

I can only imagine the scheduled rolling blackouts across the entire country is this ever comes to fruition. I know the west coast already gets to appreciate them.
Good point for going big on solar and wind in California. Especially solar farms in the desert. Excellent point.

Public service announcement, and I'm not in any way saying you did this, but don't use a male/male cord to back feed your whole house off of a generator. Any voltage you put on your house wiring will feed right back out to the transformer outside your house and be stepped up to 7,200, 13,800, or whatever your local distribution voltage is and it will kill a lineman. Electrical transformers work in reverse and don't care which direction they're fed from. A classmate of mine got killed in Nebraska by someone who did that.

Good advice. I never ended up using it. I would just run power cords outside to the gen and plug into it the necessities that I want to keep running. One can always switch appliances for some time as a freezer will be fine for some time if they want to power electronics to watch a game, or lights.

Man, that is scary with a bunch of people plugging their homes into these things and the lineman not knowing what they could be dealing with all the time. Yikes.

Your newest rhetorical device is "LMAO." Your troll game is getting soft, bro.

Weren't you one of these clean coal advocates years ago? Now it's clean gasoline? At least you're advancing.

I'd love to go back a decade and see what some of you were saying about climate change back then. I remember, but I don't know if some of you do. I particularly enjoyed the comments about windmills back then (in addition to "clean" coal). Also remember Al Gore being skewered for his predictions. Now, it's just "we have to keep petrol the way it is...there is no other choice" *okeefe checks petrol investment portfolio. Yes, that's it! Things are fine.
In the 1970's I thought were were supposed to be heading into an "ice age" and were going to be doomed.

The windmills are the same right? The ones now vs the old farm ones? What percentage of energy does Ioway get from wind now? Do you know?

I'm not saying they were used to generate electricity for anything beyond their needs on the acreage/farm. It just made me remember them and that I don't see them around like I used to in the past. That's all I'm saying.

I realize it is a completely different goal and technology over the years. I'm not sold that the power generated by windmills will be as efficient as it needs to be. There is the cost of building all of them and there is a lot of maintenance. Then, when you have a farm of them, that is a lot of space, often times commercial land, that is being used up to house them. There is a lot of overhead/resources to build them and maintain them. Just not sure if would be getting the bang for the buck.

I'm not saying they were used to generate electricity for anything beyond their needs on the acreage/farm. It just made me remember them and that I don't see them around like I used to in the past. That's all I'm saying.

I realize it is a completely different goal and technology over the years. I'm not sold that the power generated by windmills will be as efficient as it needs to be. There is the cost of building all of them and there is a lot of maintenance. Then, when you have a farm of them, that is a lot of space, often times commercial land, that is being used up to house them. There is a lot of overhead/resources to build them and maintain them. Just not sure if would be getting the bang for the buck.

Yea, after the derecho, we lost power for some time which sucked. A year or some time later, they meteorologist on TV was talking about another impending storm that might cause power outages in our area. That is when I went and got it. It never left the back of my vehicle as we never lost power. I then took it back and got my $599 back. I figured it I tried to snag on after we had lost power, there would have been a run on them and I'd be shit out of luck. So, got it early.

I will do again with another threat. Kind of a pain in the ass. I would just keep it if I opened it and used it, but then would have to store it.