This Is The Proctor Thread

Are you serious with this? It's not like Alabama is such a more populated state either... like 25th vs 32nd.

Of course it has to do with winning. Alabama has been winning everything for 15 years. It's partially why they have the money to offer.
I'm 100 % serious. Yes Alabama has won, it's why they are in a really good position. It's why they are getting Proctor without a doubt. But they are part of a very small percentages of teams that "have won something". Iowa is in the same boat as every other school besides a very small handful of teams that "have won something"

Also, Bama has lost a lot of high star guys to the portal as well. Those teams aren't immune to the current climate either.

has nothing to do with population. I'm not even sure what you're arguing there.

The thing with OL play is that it's only as strong as it's weakest link. Kadyn Proctor can't block both sides of the center and the rest of his supporting staff ain't gonna be all that great.

Proctor could also be a bust...

Every bit of his film is him pancaking 6' tall 275 lb (at most) high school kids who'll never even sniff community college ball. Maybe he'll be really good, but we know nothing about whether he can get the mental side of the game down or handle the speed that things will happen in the SEC or B1G.

Either way, people getting mad over this need to understand that one all star on an otherwise incompetent OL isn't going to add any wins to the schedule. He's only going to play two years anyway of he ends up being good.
You are correct. We don't have a clue and I was going to post a similar statement but I didn't want people thinking I was dissing on the guy just because he was flipping.

But, what I've noticed is that he gave up on plays after doing his one assignment. I didn't really see him pancake a guy then get downfield looking for another block. But, he has all the tangables and can prob be coached up. But yea, at this point he hasn't gone up against D1 level talent. But, I'd sure be happy to have him to see what he's got.

This dude seemed to sum it all up pretty well... Good grief. If she's willing to throw that out on twitter then yeah that's all we need to know about how he's being influenced. Feels like they waited till now just to flex their bargaining power to Oregon and Bama both. Flip too soon like months ago they may have left $ on the table. Feels like they broke the bank. They wrote a song about this once. Don't hate the player...

Ding Ding Ding. Yea, I think they played Iowa for leveraging power. Good take.

Iowa signed Erik All because they aim for mediocre. He was a 4 star recruit. Iowa has him now. Cade is a 4 star QB - they have him now and didn't before.

This is just how it is. Every school is going to lose and gain - the top ones will lose and gain more. Programs that can identify and develop talent will still do well, especially the ones in the B1G and SEC.

10 years from now it will be these 2 conferences and everyone else

Actually, I think I read even big ole Alabama took a hit in the portal this year.

I looked it up and found.

Alabama has seen 19 players go in the portal during the 2022-23 cycle, including 12 scholarship defections.

Actually, I think I read even big ole Alabama took a hit in the portal this year.

I looked it up and found.

Alabama has seen 19 players go in the portal during the 2022-23 cycle, including 12 scholarship defections.
It's probably cause they've never won anything.... wait, no it's probably because they aim for mediocre I bet.

Still the same number of star players as there were before and same number of teams. You dudes are blowing this way out of proportion.

You are correct. We don't have a clue and I was going to post a similar statement but I didn't want people thinking I was dissing on the guy just because he was flipping.

But, what I've noticed is that he gave up on plays after doing his one assignment. I didn't really see him pancake a guy then get downfield looking for another block. But, he has all the tangables and can prob be coached up. But yea, at this point he hasn't gone up against D1 level talent. But, I'd sure be happy to have him to see what he's got.
He’s not a Hawk, feel free to diss him if you want. I personally don’t care either way to be honest; he seems super flaky and wish washy anyway which isn’t necessarily what you want in your players. I want guys with attitudes like Jack Campbell or Kaevon Merriweather who are all in.

Still the same number of star players as there were before and same number of teams. You dudes are blowing this way out of proportion.
exactly - it's a 2 way door. Iowa is going to lose good players but gain them as well. Iowa is pretty good at identifying talent and now the recruiting cycle goes from a few years before college to a few years after too. Iowa could end up benefiting from these new rules. The bottom might fall out, Iowa might suddenly become a perennial player....but I imagine it will be a lot more of what we've been accustomed to the last 30-40 years... which BTW is the best it's ever been at Iowa.

He’s not a Hawk, feel free to diss him if you want. I personally don’t care either way to be honest; he seems super flaky and wish washy anyway which isn’t necessarily what you want in your players. I want guys with attitudes like Jack Campbell or Kaevon Merriweather who are all in.

........... in addition, I don't really want those parents affiliated with the program either. They become cancers on a program and if they aren't all in, that is going to leak down to their sons, IMO.

Kind of like when you marry your wife, you aren't just getting her, you are getting the family to. We've seen in previous years some issues with family members. This may be a good thing. If all she is worried about using him for her $$$$ gain, screw it. Move on.

also - the don't tweet recruits thing.... is seriously causing me conflictions. Not that I would ever tweet at a recruit or an Iowa player anything negative because I wouldn't....

but HS recruits have agents now. HS recruits are being paid large salaries to play college football. Collectives and schools are asking fans to fund these payments. While I would never tweet at at a player, I am starting to understand why people do and I don't think we can shield these guys anymore

Still a HS student, though, even if one with many opportunities in front of him. I say not OK from any adult.

These kids should do what is best for them. Sometimes that is taking the best offer available at the time, and then later jumping to a better offer. Lord knows programs and coaches frequently do the same.

Proctor was in a bit of a different situation because that Alabama offer was there when he committed to Iowa, which is perhaps why fans are so frustrated by the change in heart. But while the scholarship offers haven't changed, the landscape of CFB has shifted seismically since that commitment. Losing this guy really sucks, but I don't blame him. Iowa needs to up its game to stay competitive for in-state elite talent.

lol let's slow down here... Alabama loses a bunch of 5-star players that are not playing enough for other 5 star players. It's not the same as Iowa losing out on a 5 star recruit.
Yeah, not the same, but those schools are still going to lose players who are not happy, circling back to my point that Iowa is in the same position as pretty much everyone else. You could argue that Iowa will have a shot at some high profile guys who now leave bigger schools that were NEVER going to be on their radar had this new NIL platformed not changed things. One could argue that they are already are. There's no world that existed that Iowa could take two 4 star players from a blueblood program within their own conference before this all started.

Are you serious with this? It's not like Alabama is such a more populated state either... like 25th vs 32nd.

Of course it has to do with winning. Alabama has been winning everything for 15 years. It's partially why they have the money to offer.

But I gave up a long time ago thinking Iowa would ever win anything in football.

I'm much more an NFL fan where the playing field is even.

It is not about state population, it is about population of elite talent. And while Alabama is not Texas/Florida/California/Georgia, they are the next tier. And Iowa isn't playing the same game.

I am not saying Iowa can't improve its approach, but comparing the state populations of Iowa and Alabama to insinuate they are on similar footing is just not correct.

1671489862279.png

The Proctor situation illustrates the NIL / transfer portal changes will probably mean even less chance for teams like Iowa to pull in 5* or even 4* HS recruits. The money is too high and the attraction of top 5 programs is too high for recruits to choose Iowa out of HS.
Success for teams like Iowa is to excel at picking up the players that fall out of the Top 5 programs. For example, Alabama may end up with 4 5* RB's on the roster, 2 of which are not playing and will transfer. The key is to make Iowa a desirable transfer destination for those 5* transfers.
The catch....
We can't have offensive or defensive schemes which require 2-3 years to learn with transfers who will be on board one or two years.

This dude seemed to sum it all up pretty well... Good grief. If she's willing to throw that out on twitter then yeah that's all we need to know about how he's being influenced. Feels like they waited till now just to flex their bargaining power to Oregon and Bama both. Flip too soon like months ago they may have left $ on the table. Feels like they broke the bank. They wrote a song about this once.
Know a coach somewhat close to the situation and it sounds like the last month or so has been him (well, mom) playing Oregon and Alabama against each other in a bidding war. In his words, "with this offer, Bama basically said 'Oregon, we upped our offer, up yours' ".

I’ll state this again, Iowa is losing 5 stars to bigger schools, nothing new. Iowa is now getting 4 star players out of the portal that we’re at blue blood schools within our own conference. That’s new