This Year's Banished Words

Attorney dad recounts this conversation: Dad—Hello, is Pete there? Pete’s wife: Nah. Peter is by the country out.

Not certain where to put this:

A.Word.A.Day
with Anu Garg

marcescence​

PRONUNCIATION:
(mahr-SES-uhns)

MEANING:
noun: The retention of dead leaves, etc., as opposed to shedding.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Latin marcescere (to wither), from marcere (to wither). Earliest documented use: 1859.

Dead Leaves: Reminds me of the movie Dead Leaves released in 2001 that my children
wanted me to watch

Quite unlike anything I have ever watched to this day

One can, if one wished, watch the entire movie on Youtube

This movie will relieve boredom

:cool:

Not certain where to put this:

A.Word.A.Day
with Anu Garg

marcescence​

PRONUNCIATION:
(mahr-SES-uhns)

MEANING:
noun: The retention of dead leaves, etc., as opposed to shedding.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Latin marcescere (to wither), from marcere (to wither). Earliest documented use: 1859.

Dead Leaves: Reminds me of the movie Dead Leaves released in 2001 that my children
wanted me to watch

Quite unlike anything I have ever watched to this day

One can, if one wished, watch the entire movie on Youtube

This movie will relieve boredom

:cool:
EEEEK…

My 94 yr old father, a former farmer who grew up near Waterloo, frequently prefaces sentences with the word "moseairenly". We all grew up knowing what he meant and didn't think too much about it. What he's saying is "most generally" in place of "usually". Weird.

When I was young, instead of saying "how come", my dad would say "horse cum". It was a long time before I realized what he was actually saying.
How’s baseball going? We had a contractor cancel on us and I have exactly 3 days to tear out a mound and plate circle, build a new mound and plate circle, and re-anchor 1st and 3rd. It’s raining like hell here right now

How’s baseball going? We had a contractor cancel on us and I have exactly 3 days to tear out a mound and plate circle, build a new mound and plate circle, and re-anchor 1st and 3rd. It’s raining like hell here right now
Oh my. That's quite a chore! Had 6 DH's scheduled this spring and got in 2, which is kind of expected in the spring, so no big deal. Everyone is going out that I am expecting and no kids that are "trying baseball" which is good.

This past Monday my #1 didn't show up for school. Not even kidding. His family moved and no one said anything. Not one of those families that move around. Parents had good jobs, etc. They just think their only child needs to play at a bigger school so he can play at a big college. There is no way he has the balls to ever do that because of how his parents have coddled him his whole life. It's the only pitcher I lost, but still. A lot of good young pitchers.

2 weeks ago a middle of the lineup guy broke his arm and is out for the year. Doesn't hurt us defensively because he'd have DHed, but we can't hit a thing so we really needed it. Sucks only having 2 weeks to practice, but everyone's in the same boat. Things should be good this year otherwise if parents keep their noses out of it. They all graduate this year. Maybe a new batch of parents will take over. I hate parents.

Excited to get going as always. Only 2 months from tomorrow is the first district game. Lost my assistant, which is a great thing but I don't have an assistant. I'm actually really excited about that because I've never done it and now I have 2 teams that I get to be the head coach of. JV will be fun and no pressure.

How is everything going for you? Got a big roster?

This past Monday my #1 didn't show up for school. Not even kidding. His family moved and no one said anything. Not one of those families that move around. Parents had good jobs, etc. They just think their only child needs to play at a bigger school so he can play at a big college. There is no way he has the balls to ever do that because of how his parents have coddled him his whole life. It's the only pitcher I lost, but still. A lot of good young pitchers.

Give me his parents' phone number, I'll recommend some high schools in the southeast. I don't think the move from Eagle Grove to Humboldt is gonna make much of a difference.

I don’t think my dad ever in the time I knew him said the word “dollars.”

Every time it came out of his mouth that I can ever remember it was “doll hairs.”
"Warsh". Like referring to "warshing" clothes.

I admittedly probably stated this when young and growing up in my small town but have corrected when realized the correct word is "wash". I corrected it over the years. I have a co-worker who always says it and it sticks out like a sore thumb when I hear it. Cringe-worthy!

"Warsh". Like referring to "warshing" clothes.

I admittedly probably stated this when young and growing up in my small town but have corrected when realized the correct word is "wash". I corrected it over the years. I have a co-worker who always says it and it sticks out like a sore thumb when I hear it. Cringe-worthy!

When we moved to DM from Philadelphia

George Wharshington was the first president

Nobody would answer the teacher/nun's questions

They wanted to hear me speak

Thought I was from Merry Olde

Haven't heard Wharsh for quite some time

I frequently use a lot of these in class to get a rise out of kids.

Warsh, Wednesdee, breakfast, dinner, supper, telephone or cellular phone, etc. Like shootin fish in a barrel.

Not to make this a racial thing at all, but, how come when people of color say "asks" it sound so different. Not that it's bad and I don't know what they are saying but it sounds like there are extra S's in the word somehow. I've tried to imitate saying it but cannot for the life of me, but it seems most black individuals say it the same. It's a weird phenomenon.

Not to make this a racial thing at all, but, how come when people of color say "asks" it sound so different. Not that it's bad and I don't know what they are saying but it sounds like there are extra S's in the word somehow. I've tried to imitate saying it but cannot for the life of me, but it seems most black individuals say it the same. It's a weird phenomenon.

Language and pronunciation are far from immutable. Accents and regionalisms can suggest a great deal about where someone is from—the Dictionary of American Regional English catalogs the vast smattering of linguistic ticks that permeate American speech. There are some linguistic divides, though, that seem to stand out above the rest: saying pop versus soda, or pronouncing “ask” as “ax.” But while your name for fizzy drinks can say something about your geography, the ask/ax divide is laden with additional cultural baggage.