Why do the republicans/conservatives have this love for Putin and Russia???

Simply Horrible
It is horrible. The early images of middle-aged women standing up to tanks is gone.
That said, the small right-wing neo nazi groups within the Ukrainian Army are capable of a lot of things including human shield in Mariupol. I'm very pro-Ukraine. I'm embarrased the US 101st Airborne trained them.

1649178147839.png

Last edited:
I'm conservative. However, one of the biggest issues causing the decline of the middle class is the reduction in death taxes and cap gain taxes. Properties and businesses don't turn over enough. See it easily in farmland.

What the F are you talking about?

State is 6% and county is 1%. Just like every single county in Iowa.
well that is called a typo, the county is 1% as I live there, thanks for noticing my typo.

But no thanks for saying "what the F are you talking about"? as most people would probably first think 'typo'

What the F are you talking about?

State is 6% and county is 1%. Just like every single county in Iowa.

And logically if Polk county had a 10% tax no one or hardly anyone would live there so the Golden Circle would become a Golden donut with Polk being the hole and the surrounding counties with a much lower sales tax being the Golden ring of dough.

I'm conservative. However, one of the biggest issues causing the decline of the middle class is the reduction in death taxes and cap gain taxes. Properties and businesses don't turn over enough. See it easily in farmland.
Don't turn over enough as in they don't pay in enough money or they don't change hands enough?

Assuming you mean don't pay in enough money, if you increased taxes it'd just drive people out more than it does already. No one stays on the family farm anymore because unless you're ridiculously big you can make more money in a 9-5 job with a 4 year degree. Farms used to be a generational source of pride to keep in the family but that ship has sailed.

New 22 year-old college grads don't want to be the fourth generation living in the same falling apart farmhouse and have to manage equipment, planting, fert, harvest, and animals. At the very most they'll keep the land and rent it as a paycheck, but the more a family tree forks, the less money for each person there is to be had. Most of the ones that do stay just build an acreage somewhere with a shouse and live off the rent while working a 9-5. The eastern side of Sioux Center is a huge (relative to the size of the community) property development made up of tons of million $ plus homes built by just that demographic.

So...tax it more to prevent the kids from just renting it out and making big bucks? They'll just sell it to corporate farms which is where 75% of it goes to now anyways in the form of either guys getting bigger, or corporate renters which are becoming big around here and everywhere else. Either way, increasing taxes on any sort of farming is just going to get pushed onto people's gas tanks and food tables. Ethanol and food aren't discretionary items. There's zero way that increasing farm estate or property taxes is going to put screws on farmers. It would've 20 years ago, but people inheriting land and farms will just sell their shares if it gets too burdensome and the corporate operators couldn't care less because they'll just pass it on to you or me.

Don't turn over enough as in they don't pay in enough money or they don't change hands enough?

Assuming you mean don't pay in enough money, if you increased taxes it'd just drive people out more than it does already. No one stays on the family farm anymore because unless you're ridiculously big you can make more money in a 9-5 job with a 4 year degree. Farms used to be a generational source of pride to keep in the family but that ship has sailed.

New 22 year-old college grads don't want to be the fourth generation living in the same falling apart farmhouse and have to manage equipment, planting, fert, harvest, and animals. At the very most they'll keep the land and rent it as a paycheck, but the more a family tree forks, the less money for each person there is to be had. Most of the ones that do stay just build an acreage somewhere with a shouse and live off the rent while working a 9-5.

So...tax it more to prevent the kids from just renting it out and making big bucks? They'll just sell it to corporate farms which is where 75% of it goes to now anyways in the form of either guys getting bigger, or corporate renters which are becoming big around and everywhere else. Either way, increasing taxes on any sort of farming is just going to get pushed onto people's gas tanks and food tables. There's zero way that increasing farm estate or property taxes is going to put screws on farmers. It would've 20 years ago, but people inheriting land and farms will just sell their stakes if it gets too burdensome and the corporate operators will just pass it on to you or me.
You may want to look up the various definitions of corporate farms. Only 3% of Iowa farmland is big corp owned and operated. Many, many small and medium sized farms are “corporate” only because individual families have done so. Yes, a lot of Iowa farmland is owned by families who in turn lease the land instead of actively farming themselves. Reason? Many of these farms are 2-3 generations away from active farm families. I am way too old to farm so I lease. The family we lease to is a second generation and they farm over 1000 acres. Way of the world but not exactly greedy, evil villains.

New 22 year-old college grads don't want to be the fourth generation living in the same falling apart farmhouse and have to manage equipment, planting, fert, harvest, and animals. At the very most they'll keep the land and rent it as a paycheck, but the more a family tree forks, the less money for each person there is to be had. Most of the ones that do stay just build an acreage somewhere with a shouse and live off the rent while working a 9-5. The eastern side of Sioux Center is a huge (relative to the size of the community) property development made up of tons of million $ plus homes built by just that demographic.

So...tax it more to prevent the kids from just renting it out and making big bucks? They'll just sell it to corporate farms which is where 75% of it goes to now anyways in the form of either guys getting bigger, or corporate renters which are becoming big around here and everywhere else. Either way, increasing taxes on any sort of farming is just going to get pushed onto people's gas tanks and food tables. Ethanol and food aren't discretionary items. There's zero way that increasing farm estate or property taxes is going to put screws on farmers. It would've 20 years ago, but people inheriting land and farms will just sell their shares if it gets too burdensome and the corporate operators couldn't care less because they'll just pass it on to you or me.
Family farms of about 2000 acres which is barely average have been netting out about 300k per year before the recent run up of grain prices. One farmer with in-season help can easily do 2000 acres. Before ethanol, family farms did it for the govt payments which was about 60k per year.

Cap gains and death taxes have to be increased period. Sales of property are at all time lows. Drives up prices.

Ethanol isn't a viable business without subsidies.

Americans are like the frog in the boiling pot. Doing the bidding for the wealthy while they are cooked.

Families fight now to see who gets to stay on the farm. The wealthiest people in Iowa towns are no longer the doctors and lawyers. It's the farmers. It's not just farming though. Not enough homes come up for sale and thus higher prices.

Not sure which farmers you are talking to. I've managed up to 75 at one time.

You may want to look up the various definitions of corporate farms. Only 3% of Iowa farmland is big corp owned and operated. Many, many small and medium sized farms are “corporate” only because individual families have done so. Yes, a lot of Iowa farmland is owned by families who in turn lease the land instead of actively farming themselves. Reason? Many of these farms are 2-3 generations away from active farm families. I am way too old to farm so I lease. The family we lease to is a second generation and they farm over 1000 acres. Way of the world but not exactly greedy, evil villains.
My personal definition of corporate farming is any farming done by anyone who didn't inherit their land and operation. One acre or 10,000 acres. The dynamic is different.

Doesn't change the content of my post at all. Increasing taxes on any part of farming whether it's in the estate, property, or operations phase will not impact farmers because generational farming is disappearing to inherited rentors and landowners expanding. Very, very few people in the current generation of 20/30 somethings feels a connection to land and their farms, and they will be sold off if profitability decreases from taxes increasing. A smart 20 something knows that $8,000,000 cash in hand for land when their parents bite the big one will make more money than renting it out for the last 30 years of their lives. They don't care about keeping it in the family like the old fogey generation does. It's happening like crazy here and all over Iowa and the midwest.

Any increases to the costs of doing business when it comes to farming are going to be passed to people's gas tanks and tables, not borne by farmers.

Family farms of about 2000 acres which is barely average have been netting out about 300k per year before the recent run up of grain prices. One farmer with in-season help can easily do 2000 acres. Before ethanol, family farms did it for the govt payments which was about 60k per year.

Cap gains and death taxes have to be increased period. Sales of property are at all time lows. Drives up prices.

Americans are like the frog in the boiling pot. Doing the bidding for the wealthy while they are cooked.

Families fight now to see who gets to stay on the farm. The wealthiest people in Iowa towns are no longer the doctors and lawyers. It's the farmers. It's not just farming though. Not enough homes come up for sale and thus higher prices.

Not sure which farmers you are talking to. I've managed up to 75 at one time.
Regardless of our disagreement on the makeup of farming families, taxes will not impact farmers. That's a fallacy.

The people fighting to see who stays on the farm are huge operators. Those are operations that won't get hurt by taxes in a material way because of economies of scale. Smaller farms will get hit hard, and those are the farms that are quickly getting eaten up by bigger operations. Making it less profitable to pass a family farm on (like you're suggesting) will only speed up the snowball to mega farms. I don't care either way myself, I have no dog in the fight.

Increased taxes will get passed on. Farmers may tell you they're getting pinched and bitch about it, but it will get passed through. We don't get to decide whether to buy those goods whether directly or indirectly.

Those subsidies ain't going away. If they do there's been a total collapse of our government and economy and you have bigger things to worry about.

Ethanol subsidies shouldn't be looked at at a risk anymore, they're a given.

Wrong. Iowa doesn't have a large percentage of corporate farms because the state has a blatantly unconstitutional law that prohibits most types of "corporate farming." The guy who sat next to me at Northwestern football games ran a private equity fund out of Chicago that invested in farmland. He said some firm in Des Moines told him they could get the law struck down but it would cost a quarter of a million bucks in legal fees and that was like 10 years ago, so it's probably a half a million now. At some point someone will foot the bill to challenge it, but this guy wasn't gonna pay that much. He just acquired land in Illinois instead.

the idea of stock transaction taxes is they are really small but there are millions of them all the time. Is a stock transaction the sale of an asset, yes, then tax it, just like when you sell a car the buyer pays tax and then all the licensing cost.

Quit trying to tell me that rich people cant afford a fucking nickel tax on their stock transaction. And it wont put a quash on stock sales which is just another form of gambling.

Yes, IA state sales tax is 6% and yes Polk County put another 10% on top of that.
my son, who is 6, buys stock a few times a month. a nickel transaction tax on someone putting $5 into the market is a huge tax. we've all seen huge technological changes in the past few decades, unimaginable things, but one of the biggest is the race to the bottom for passive mutual fund and etf assets. management fees used to be over 1% and now vanguard has a giant fund that is 3 basis points and fidelity has funds that are 0% management fees and funds with "loads" have all but disappeared and spreads on stonks, which used to be 25 cents a share, are now down to virtually 0 on actively traded stonks.

a huge amount of volume each day is passive funds attempting to square their books for redemptions and investments and the total market funds have thousands of issuers in them. a tax on that shit is completely fucking idiotic and it will undo one of the biggest wealth builders of the middle class over the past 40 years.

my guess is you are conflating the vast majority of wealth in the stock market, which is passive funds that make up everyone's 401Ks, with a handful of companies that engage in high frequency trading. those bros already get hammered with short term cap gains rates. but your opinion of the stonk market as just a form of gambling speaks to the perpetual lumpenprole mindset and learned helplessness that forges the lifeblood of all totalitarian collectivist regimes that attempt to take political power.

well that is called a typo, the county is 1% as I live there, thanks for noticing my typo.

But no thanks for saying "what the F are you talking about"? as most people would probably first think 'typo'

Not saying I don't believe you, just odd. How does one get a typo when intending to type one number (1) which is completely opposite of a "0" which is on the other side of the keyboard, again, when intending to only hit one number. This means you went out of your way or knowingly intended to type two numbers. Just odd. But, shit happens.

Even more weird, is that I break down this kind of shit in my head. It can be a curse. :)

And logically if Polk county had a 10% tax no one or hardly anyone would live there so the Golden Circle would become a Golden donut with Polk being the hole and the surrounding counties with a much lower sales tax being the Golden ring of dough.

See California. See New York City.

Not saying I don't believe you, just odd. How does one get a typo when intending to type one number (1) which is completely opposite of a "0" which is on the other side of the keyboard, again, when intending to only hit one number. This means you went out of your way or knowingly intended to type two numbers. Just odd. But, shit happens.

Even more weird, is that I break down this kind of shit in my head. It can be a curse. :)
Well first of all I am not lying, it was a typo. I was probably typing too fast and thinking ahead. But you are calling me a liar, weird!!!!! I have a tendency to be thinking ahead as I talk and text, write so that was it. That is why people who are on twitter, which I am not, want a edit button. But you believe what you want.

See California. See New York City.

What about California and New York City? What are their tax rates since you brought them up? New York City, about 8 million people iirc, has a massive subway system, elevated rails, a huge port, two airports while Polk County has very little of that kind of infrastructure. Hell we just flew back home to Des Moines last night, landed at 9:30 pm, and no one was hardly there, the airport is basically without activity after 9 pm so not nearly the expense (and not sure how much taxes go to the airport). If you have ever read about NYC's water system it is amazing, complicated, dug through bedrock, etc. While Polk County pulls water easily out of rivers and a natural aquafer and lakes to easily purify it and disperse it.