NET Rankings (with updates)

Storming posted this on Twitter. Not sure where the site he got it from but my guess is Ken Pom. Over the month of February, the analytics say Iowa has played like a top 3 team in the country.

1645641478150.png

I still think they need 1 more win, I think losing out puts them on the bubble. Can't lose both @Nebraska and Northwestern and expect to get in. That would put two quad 3 losses on their resume.

Iowa will destroy Nebraska, I'm just assuming that happens.

Virginia is right on the edge of that top 75 rating, which would give Iowa another Q1 win. Michigan and Michigan state at 33 and 35 respectively are close too. I think Iowa ends up with another Q1 win by the end of the season from a team they've already beaten.

Regardless I think Iowa is already in and I think they are just playing for seeding now.
That early Illinois loss irks me. Let a winnable game slip away. That would have been another Q1 win.

Iowa has moved down 1 spot to 19 but that's because Ohio State, who was ranked 19th, got a huge road win at Illinois to move them up past Iowa. The next game against Northwestern will not move the needle much either unless Iowa blows them out. Most likely the only way they move up now is if they can manage an upset at Michigan and/or Illinois.

capture.jpg

Iowa is back up to 18 but that's because Ohio State dropped after being upset at Maryland. Northwestern registers as another Q3 victory, I'm sure the margin of victory helped a little but not enough to move Iowa up the rankings.

Thursday is huge, I'm not sure beating Michigan moves Iowa up much (if at all) but Iowa landing another Q1 win would be big for the resume. Michigan comes in at #37 and they just need to be under 75 for it to count as a Q1 win. Michigan is a bubble team, considered to be one of the last 4 in on some brackets, so they will be motivated.

capture.jpg

Iowa has been a program that always seemed to be screwed by metrics, I am enjoying this years NET, but it feels a little like fools gold.

But, when you think about it, other teams have been building their resume off beating us (cause we're a Q1 win almost any way you slice it) - so it can't be both ways.

Iowa has been a program that always seemed to be screwed by metrics, I am enjoying this years NET, but it feels a little like fools gold.

But, when you think about it, other teams have been building their resume off beating us (cause we're a Q1 win almost any way you slice it) - so it can't be both ways.

The thing is when you look through other teams Net Sheets they all have flaws in this range. Iowa has benefited a ton by not have any real bad losses, playing close when they lose, and winning by a lot when they win. Their offensive efficiency is huge right now, I think they lead the Big Ten and their defensive efficiency isn't bad considering how many points they score.

The thing is when you look through other teams Net Sheets they all have flaws in this range. Iowa has benefited a ton by not have any real bad losses, playing close when they lose, and winning by a lot when they win. Their offensive efficiency is huge right now, I think they lead the Big Ten and their defensive efficiency isn't bad considering how many points they score.

They have really stepped up their defense and rebounding, limiting possessions the last 7-8 games. Really proud of the team. I think they realize that is the key to success for this team to achieve. They are going to have to keep that up to have a nice run.

They have really stepped up their defense and rebounding, limiting possessions the last 7-8 games. Really proud of the team. I think they realize that is the key to success for this team to achieve. They are going to have to keep that up to have a nice run.
I'd like to add taking care of the ball has been huge as well. When they limit the turnovers it gives them more opportunities to score. This was big yesterday, quite frankly Iowa didn't shoot the ball all that great but because they rebounded well and didn't turn the ball over very much it gave them additional scoring opportunities.

Not sure why it looks like fools gold at this point. We are running though bad and average teams and barely losing to the best teams. We are 3 nail biter losses away from having a 1 seed type resume.

It's not fools gold but kelley keeps posting those warren nolan team sheets and you can see - Iowa's predictive (efficiency) metrics are a lot higher than their results based metrics. KPI and SOR are in the 30s, efficiency are in the teens. NET is really aligned with efficiency so it makes sense.

Not sure why it looks like fools gold at this point. We are running though bad and average teams and barely losing to the best teams. We are 3 nail biter losses away from having a 1 seed type resume.
Ya know, why I said that was how the committee looked right through Houston's resume and even though they are # 3 in the NET, their record against Q1 teams is 0-3 and in their first mock draft, they didn't even make their top 16.

I see Iowa sitting at #18 with a 1-5 record against Q1 and I think.... well, that #3 NET for Houston is probably a lot like that #18 NET for Iowa is.

Make sense?

Ya know, why I said that was how the committee looked right through Houston's resume and even though they are # 3 in the NET, their record against Q1 teams is 0-3 and in their first mock draft, they didn't even make their top 16.

I see Iowa sitting at #18 with a 1-5 record against Q1 and I think.... well, that #3 NET for Houston is probably a lot like that #18 NET for Iowa is.

Make sense?

But Iowa doesn't play in the American Athletic like Houston does. Houston's best wins are over SMU, Oklahoma State, and Oregon then it really starts to drop off (Wichita State is next). They are 16-0 against Q3 and 4 opponents, 2 more than Iowa has. Iowa's best wins are Ohio State, Michigan State, and Indiana. Houston could be better than Iowa but I'd argue Iowa's resume is almost just as good.

But Iowa has a HUGE opportunity in front of them with 2 quad 1 opponents to end the season. Iowa is in the tournament but they can really help their seeding with a win in their next 2 games.

Make sense?
Sure does.

Iowa jumped to 15th after last nights win at Michigan and now own 2 wins over Quad 1 opponents. One would think this is going to make a good impression on the committee for seeding.

capture.jpg

After how we've looked the last 10 games, it's high time the committee seeds us close to where our NET is. Our NET was clearly inflated for whatever reason earlier in the year. But not now. We've looked like a top 10 team for over a month now. Let alone a 15th ranked team.

After how we've looked the last 10 games, it's high time the committee seeds us close to where our NET is. Our NET was clearly inflated for whatever reason earlier in the year. But not now. We've looked like a top 10 team for over a month now. Let alone a 15th ranked team.
We can win in Champaign. Do the same thing we did early in last night's game and run that big doofus up and down the court until he turns purple, then do the same thing to Coleman Hawkins.

Latest posts