Is the Iowa vax rate off limits or something?

None of the diseases you listed are even remotely close to a SARS virus. The ones you mentioned are human-borne and can be eradicated. This mutates like any flu virus and gets transported by animals. It's never going away.
People for some reason don't understand this. There is a huge difference between trying to eradicate the diseases Huck mentioned and this virus. Even if you could allow kids to have it, you would still need to distribute 8 billion vaccines to every single person around the world (actually 16 billion since you need 2 shots) in a timely enough manner make sure the people who got them early don't have them wear off. That is impossible to do. And even if you could do that, there are still breakthrough cases to completely eradicate it. Just like when aids came out, the world has a new way to die. Might as well get used to it.

People for some reason don't understand this. There is a huge difference between trying to eradicate the diseases Huck mentioned and this virus. Even if you could allow kids to have it, you would still need to distribute 8 billion vaccines to every single person around the world (actually 16 billion since you need 2 shots) in a timely enough manner make sure the people who got them early don't have them wear off. That is impossible to do. And even if you could do that, there are still breakthrough cases to completely eradicate it. Just like when aids came out, the world has a new way to die. Might as well get used to it.
Or if you are a Hawkeye football fan, maybe hope that more players listen to their doctors and just take the vaccine, so as fans we can avoid any disruptions to our entertainment and/or potential losses to rivals.

This thing isn't going away. But it will naturally work it's way into the background like the Spanish Flu.

@HuckFinn is just screaming into an echo chamber because he has no rational, evidence-based, statistical reasons for his viewpoint. He's doing the equivalent to peeing in a cup and throwing it at people for attention by spouting off random unrelated diseases that have vaccines available.

Hate to tell everyone, but you can scream at the populace till you're blue in the face but folks aren't going to all of a sudden change their minds about vaccination, and they're not going to continue to wear masks year after year after year every time the media runs stories of a new variant. It's here to stay and we have to live with it. There aren't going to be masses of kids dying, and everyone who wants an inoculation and who's old enough can get one immediately and free of charge. If this was a deal like polio where you could completely eliminate the problem you'd be onto something. But it isn't. Not even close.

Even if it was that type of disease, animals carry it, people...Birds, bats, minks, who knows what else. You going to eradicate it by killing every bat and bird on the planet just to make sure? In addition to it mutating in the human population, where do you think the other mutations come from? Yep. Animals.

You're putting everyone around you at tens of thousands of times more risk by backing out of your driveway in the morning than you are by not wearing a mask. Including yourself. Live your life.

Or if you are a Hawkeye football fan, maybe hope that more players listen to their doctors and just take the vaccine, so as fans we can avoid any disruptions to our entertainment and/or potential losses to rivals.
I am selfishly hoping everyone gets it, regardless of their own wants, just so I can watch games. If they tested everyone even if they had the vaccine, I'd give two shits if they got it or not.

You mean the Pfizer working at 40 some percent in July?
When vaccines first came out, I figured I'd eventually get one but figured I'd wait until there was no line because I didn't really care. I didn't want to take it from someone who did care. By the time there was no line, cases were down so much I kinda figured it was pointless. Now that cases are up again and I'm considering getting it, I find out they aren't really that good anyway and I'll have to get a booster in a few months. Right now I'm leaning towards no, but it's only about 60/40.

I find out they aren't really that good anyway and I'll have to get a booster in a few months.
I'm not telling anyone they should get vaccinated because that's up to you personally, but that's not true. The 3 main vaccines in the US are ridiculously effective at preventing hospitalizations and especially deaths.

But if you're relatively healthy, it's somewhat of a moot point. Your odds of dying or getting on a vent, etc. are crazy small to begin with.

I'm not telling anyone they should get vaccinated because that's up to you personally, but that's not true. The 3 main vaccines in the US are ridiculously effective at preventing hospitalizations and especially deaths.

But if you're relatively healthy, it's somewhat of a moot point. Your odds of dying or getting on a vent, etc. are crazy small to begin with.
They were reported that way in the beginning. I'm seeing recent numbers that say they aren't near as good as they originally thought. Or they suck at stopping delta. Either way, if the numbers are true (a big if these days) they aren't as good as the original numbers.

Replying to the OP from the thread that got locked. The reason old people are at 90% vax is because they are dying from covid.

They were reported that way in the beginning. I'm seeing recent numbers that say they aren't near as good as they originally thought. Or they suck at stopping delta. Either way, if the numbers are true (a big if these days) they aren't as good as the original numbers.

I know a lot of people have busted their asses to develop and manufacture them and I am appreciative of that effort. However, when you have something like this, to prove efficacy and safety you need two things. The first is an adequate sample size. The second is time.

The "efficacy rate" of 95% or whatever it was that was touted was done in a study of 40 some thousand folks over about 6 months. That sample size is fine. But the way they determined efficacy was to measure the prevalence of COVID in the test group versus to the control group. Something like 5% of the cases were in vaccinated people so they said "95% effective." Of course, this was in an era where there was substantial social distancing that would drastically skew the study and I'm not sure there's a great way to control for that variable. I think this leads to a disconnect with people. I think a person with 0 understanding of statistics would think that if they represent 95% efficacy that it would mean that if 100 people walked into a room just absolutely full of COVID and spent the day in there, that 95 would still be COVID free. But that is not the case. One poster above even believes that the vaccine "eliminates" your chance to catch or transmit COVID. That is certainly not the case.

Unfortunately, time is in short supply, so information will consistently change. This, of course, leads to further frustration among the public.

I'm just wondering about stadiums full of anti-vaxxer fans in a week or two. Even though most of these games are outdoors and Covid transmission is lessened in the open air, couldn't there be a big resurgence of the pandemic, especially in places like SEC country and even Iowa?

I'm just wondering about stadiums full of anti-vaxxer fans in a week or two. Even though most of these games are outdoors and Covid transmission is lessened in the open air, couldn't there be a big resurgence of the pandemic, especially in places like SEC country and even Iowa?
That's for people who won't mask or get the jab and haven't gotten it yet to worry about.

Had I not gotten vaccinated I'm sure I would have been diligent about wearing the diaper. I was sick of wearing it. That's just one of several reasons why I got double jabbed.

Latest posts