Vaccine rollout

Yes, my point exactly.

And, again, I want to reiterate for probably the third time now that I am absolutely not making the blanket statement "masks are all for show". I happily donned a mask and, for the majority of the last 12 months, I believed and continue to believe is was the correct move for both personal and societal reasons.

My beef is with the obvious (intelligence insulting) theater that has grown up around the whole thing. It's absurd. I'm sure it's been mostly fueled by good intentions - trying to encourage/normalize mask wearing - but I think, in practice, it's driven doubt and speculation.
Intelligence insulting is a good way to describe it. Part of me thinks "how stupid do you think we are?" But then the rest of me sees people eat it up and it's hard to blame them for doing it. They must at least think it works on enough people to make it worth the trouble.

Yes, my point exactly.

And, again, I want to reiterate for probably the third time now that I am absolutely not making the blanket statement "masks are all for show". I happily donned a mask and, for the majority of the last 12 months, I believed and continue to believe is was the correct move for both personal and societal reasons.

My beef is with the obvious (intelligence insulting) theater that has grown up around the whole thing. It's absurd. I'm sure it's been mostly fueled by good intentions - trying to encourage/normalize mask wearing - but I think, in practice, it's driven doubt and speculation.
The doubt and speculation has been created by Fox News and Donald Trump, along with his cult.

The doubt and speculation has been created by Fox News and Donald Trump, along with his cult.
No doubt some of it is attributed to that. But a part of it is also attributed to the things 67 mentioned. Both of those are just a very small percentage of what caused the doubt because a majority of people don't base their opinions on what politicians say.

This thread is a perfect example of how stupid the mask argument is. Tons of people in it who would likely get along but are arguing with each other over political stuff. It's somewhat funny that most of the for/against mask responses are totally ignoring whether they are scientifically worth wearing anymore.

The vaccine is available to over 99.99% of US adults, contracting covid outdoors is (almost) impossible, and kids have an almost zero percent chance of dying or getting seriously sick from covid. Absolutely, without hesitation wear a mask if you prefer to do so. I have never and will never disparage someone for wearing one. I don't think any different about a person wearing one...he or she might be currently sick, trying to prevent themselves from being sick, or any number of reasons. Maybe they are self-conscious and feel better wearing one.

And there are definitely places I think masks make sense until covid numbers drop to "noise" level numbers. Like hospitals. The likelihood of vulnerable people who can't be vaccinated, clustered together is much higher in a medical setting.

But...there is not a significant risk factor for me infecting someone or causing someone harm by me not wearing one, and people should not be forced to wear masks unless the environment or activity they are part of puts vulnerable people at risk. So I make a choice not to. No politics, no Trump, no Biden. Just math.

Yes, my point exactly.

In a sense though, they are for show now. And they're used as a political football instead of a safety device.

Now that vaccines are available to everyone who wants one, your chance of harming someone with covid is effectively null unless that person has chosen not to vaccinate themselves, at which point it's on them.

At one point it was the correct move if you were going to be in close contact with people outside your household. That time is gone.

In a sense though, they are for show now. And they're used as a political football instead of a safety device.

Now that vaccines are available to everyone who wants one, your chance of harming someone with covid is effectively null unless that person has chosen not to vaccinate themselves, at which point it's on them.

At one point it was the correct move if you were going to be in close contact with people outside your household. That time is gone.
Basically, if you’ve been vaccinated, you’re mostly safe. No need for a mask. But if you haven’t, you’re at risk. That population will also undoubtedly not wear masks and won’t distance, so they’ll continue the spread. Most of the people in that group will get well. Some won’t.

I‘ve been vaccinated. I will stop wearing a mask indoors (stopped wearing one outdoors last fall) when mandates expire here next month. I may still wear a mask on a plane if and when we resume business travel. It’s been a pleasure to not have had any sort of upper respiratory infections for over a year, and I probably got a lot of those on planes.

I don’t have an issue with those in the non-vax group who insist on not wearing masks or packing into bars, restaurants, and other crowded venues. I think it’s a mistake, but that’s an opinion, and I know exactly how much that is worth. But it’ll be a shame that some folks who don’t have to die will.

Not throwing shade at anti-vaxers, but when do we as a society move forward. Vaccines are a choice, and for the most part, not getting them is also a choice. At what point do we move away from restrictions as a form of public safety and accept the fact that those who choose not to get vaccinated are making a choice and accepting the risk of coming in contact with it. At this point in time, I think the focus is protecting those that don't want protection as opposed to moving forward and reverting back to life as we knew it.

Not throwing shade at anti-vaxers, but when do we as a society move forward. Vaccines are a choice, and for the most part, not getting them is also a choice. At what point do we move away from restrictions as a form of public safety and accept the fact that those who choose not to get vaccinated are making a choice and accepting the risk of coming in contact with it. At this point in time, I think the focus is protecting those that don't want protection as opposed to moving forward and reverting back to life as we knew it.
I am fine with those who decide against vaccination. But, I do not want to hear them whine when employers, businesses, airlines, football stadiums, Broadway theatre vnues and the like refuse admittance. Choices have consequences. Grow up. I hear conservatives preaching all the time about freedom of choice. OK. Deal with it.

up.

I am fine with those who decide against vaccination. But, I do not want to hear them whine when employers, businesses, airlines, football stadiums, Broadway theatre vnues and the like refuse admittance. Choices have consequences. Grow up. I hear conservatives preaching all the time about freedom of choice. OK. Deal with it.

up.

Where should the real blame be. People who are fat should be blocked first. That is ultimately where the real problem lies. We wrecked the economy due to obesity.

Yesterday the Dubuque County health board repealed the county mask manate while the City will continue to impose it pending Monday's City council meeting.

The vote was not unanimous. There was a naysayer. And at least one Facebook post saying if we don't slow our roll we are setting up for another wave.

Are you kidding? People were quick to listen to the doctors and scientists when this whole mess started. Now those same doctors and sciencetists are saying its safe to shun the mask if fully vaccinated. Remember how we were to listen to the experts?

If they don't know what they're talking about now then they didn't know what they were talking about then either.. its not both ways.. I got news for the sheep. This virus is never going away. Spanish flu is still out there, as is bubonic plague, smallpox, polio, measles, and every other pathogen known and unknown to mankind. We are humans. We learned to adapt. Spend your existence living in your nuclear fallout shelter if you choose. As for those who won't let their little Johnny's go outside because they might die, be ready to deal with the repercussions when he or she is fifteen years old and their social skills are permanently and irreversibly blunted.

Last edited:
Yesterday the Dubuque County health board repealed the county mask manate while the City will continue to impose it pending Monday's City council meeting.

The vote was not unanimous. There was a naysayer. And at least one Facebook post saying if we don't slow our roll we are setting up for another wave.

Are you kidding? People were quick to listen to the doctors and scientists when this whole mess started. Now those same doctors and sciencetists are saying its safe to shun the mask if fully vaccinated. Remember how we were to listen to the experts?

If they don't know what they're talking about now then they didn't know what they were talking about then either.. its not both ways.. I got news for the sheep. This virus is never going away. Spanish flu is still out there, as is bubonic plague, smallpox, polio, measles, and every other pathogen known and unknown to mankind. We are humans. We learned to adapt. Spend your existence living in your nuclear fallout shelter if you choose. As for those who won't let their little Johnny's go outside because they might die, be ready to deal with the repercussions when he or she is fifteen years old and their social skills are permanently and irreversibly blunted.
And, the earth is flat.

What’s really hilarious are the folks who go everywhere with a mask, but they step out of restaurants, bars, jobs, stores etc to have a cigarette, put their mask back on, and go back inside.

lolsies

It's nonsense that being fat is unhealthy? About 3/4 of the country will be happy to hear that.
Even though I have you on ignore, I did look at your response. Please explain where I said obesity is not a serious problem. Thanks. And in the meantime, explain that clown’s comment that obesity has destroyed our economy. Another reminder why your ignorance of logic helps you to voice dumb responses, including blatant racism.

What’s really hilarious are the folks who go everywhere with a mask, but they step out of restaurants, bars, jobs, stores etc to have a cigarette, put their mask back on, and go back inside.

lolsies
Smokers will claim that smoking is bad for others but not themselves. They will point out that second hand smoke is bad from from other people's cigarettes but not theirs. And yes they will chastise you for being a health hazard for not masking while they are smoking. I worked vending for thirteen years and once had someone admonish me for filling machines with sugar and junk food and those evil sodas....while they were holding a cigarette in their hand. They will deny, deny, deny, because that is their only defense mechanism to ward off the guilt.

Oh well, keep donating that tax money everytime the habit needs to be fortified.

Where should the real blame be. People who are fat should be blocked first. That is ultimately where the real problem lies. We wrecked the economy due to obesity.
We certainly didn't wreck the health insurance business. They prey on all of us like hungry piranhas thanks in part to severe obesity.

Oh, sorry. I forgot that whenever you say something it is true. Thanks.

Seriously? Back to the thought. If we heavily tax smoking, why not obesity?

I responded to this: Well. This an exciting new piece of nonsense.

Pls Read: https://khn.org/morning-breakout/ob...-nations-covid-death-toll-global-study-finds/

Obesity Is Key Driver Of A Nation’s Covid Death Toll, Global Study Finds​

The link between covid severity and obesity, a new study finds a "dramatic" connection: In countries where more than half the population is overweight, fatality rates are 10 times higher than in other nations.

CNN: Covid-19 Death Rates 10 Times Higher In Countries Where Most Adults Are Overweight The risk of death from Covid-19 is about 10 times higher in countries where most of the population is overweight, according to a report released Wednesday by the World Obesity Federation. Researchers found that by the end of 2020, global Covid-19 death rates were more than 10 times higher in countries where more than half the adults are overweight, compared to countries where fewer than half are overweight. (Mascarenhas and Rahim, 3/5)

The Washington Post: Most Coronavirus Deaths Occurred In Countries Where Majority Of Adults Are Overweight Among the nations with overweight populations above the 50 percent threshold were also those with some of the largest proportions of coronavirus deaths — including countries such as Britain, Italy and the United States. Some 2.5 million people have died around the world of covid-19, more than 517,000 of which were in the United States. (Cunningham and Hassan, 3/4)

78% of COVID-19 patients hospitalized in the US overweight or obese, CDC finds​