Fran sucked but don't blame it all on him.

Oregon has hands in Iowa Face all games long
I have coached high school basketball for 30 years, in the Iowa Hall of Fame, take that for what it is. Fran got schooled today, Dana Altman is a fantastic, underrated coach. I worked camps with Dana for a few years, the guy is grounded and really understands the game. He let Garza have his and spread his 6'6" athletic guys totally shut down everybody else. With our guys that isn't very difficult. Bohannon is lost and can't create a shot, love the kid but facts are facts. Weezy gets lost, not very confident and times and teams take him out. CJ should not of been playing AT ALL. He couldn't guard, he couldn't and wouldn't shoot, waste of a spot. Our best line up against Oregon should of been Joe T, Weezy, Keegan, Patrick and Garza. Quicker at the PG position, taller, more athletic and 3 guys who can create a shot off the dribble.

I was the guy who wanted Dana years ago as our coach, and I can tell you it was close to happening. Saw Dana last Christmas time at Scheels in Omaha, he remembered me. We had a nice conversation...he misses the mid-west.
That's what I was trying to show to people but you said it better than me. Thank you. Dana Altman have better tournament record than Fran does. I'm not trying to stir things up. I love Fran and his staff. Fran does what he could with what he has on hand.

Last edited:
One thing to think about when talking about our 3 guards that didn't score is they got way less minutes than they normally do. Injuries are probabky the reason for CJ and Connor, but Bohannon was pure laziness.

Watching Oregon score the first (or second) basket of the game was a perfect example of how lazy Bohannon is. Got slightly our of position fighting through a screen but all he had to do is hurry a few steps to cut off the angle but instead jogged right next to his man all the way down the lane for an easy score. You half ass things you don't care about and you don't care about things when you think you're getting a raw deal. Bohannon vendetta with the NCAA almost certainly affected his trajectory as a player. I understand why he had it tho. Most guys can't make much money off their names in college and the one's who can are going to eventually end up rich anyway. He was an extreme example of a non future pro player who could have raked it in in college. His vendetta is understandable, but boy did it hurt this team.

Ah yes post mortem and before the acid in the eyes comes to me I am not trolling this chain I played sports at Iowa. First comment Conner needs to pursue his baseball career without Garza to throw it in to not really any functionality there. Oregon my ladies and gentlemen have athletes and coached by a very good coach historically hope he is loving the Oregon coast and the Nike shoes etc. (wish Iowa could have signed the ink with him) Going forward if Franny boy wants to play the run and gun then he needs to recruit guys who understand both aspects of the game offense/defense transition sorry the only guy today for Iowa who made any sense (other than Garza playing inside against midgets inside) was Toussaint as erratic as he his he at least puts some pressure on the defense to have to guard. I am assuming Frederick was still feeling the foot injury no factor and Wieskamp passed up six at least wide open three point shots everyone enjoy your spring and summer and fall next year is a big ?????
You can’t even make a complete English sentence and you want us to believe you played sports at Iowa?

If you played sports here then I’m third in the line of succession to become Pope.

I have coached high school basketball for 30 years, in the Iowa Hall of Fame, take that for what it is. Fran got schooled today, Dana Altman is a fantastic, underrated coach. I worked camps with Dana for a few years, the guy is grounded and really understands the game. He let Garza have his and spread his 6'6" athletic guys totally shut down everybody else. With our guys that isn't very difficult. Bohannon is lost and can't create a shot, love the kid but facts are facts. Weezy gets lost, not very confident and times and teams take him out. CJ should not of been playing AT ALL. He couldn't guard, he couldn't and wouldn't shoot, waste of a spot. Our best line up against Oregon should of been Joe T, Weezy, Keegan, Patrick and Garza. Quicker at the PG position, taller, more athletic and 3 guys who can create a shot off the dribble.

I was the guy who wanted Dana years ago as our coach, and I can tell you it was close to happening. Saw Dana last Christmas time at Scheels in Omaha, he remembered me. We had a nice conversation...he misses the mid-west.

Wow, I was just thinking after the game today and wondering if Altman would EVER take the Iowa job if offered since was previously at Creighton. Now you make me think he might jump at that opportunity if it ever arose in the near future.

Thanks for the revelation. I would never have known that if we had a legitimate replacement for Nunge and another banger inside, it would have made a big difference for this team.

But joke is on you again, as Pemsl WOULD NOT have been the answer. He trolled you again man.

I Think the biggest fault in this game is not recognizing JBO and CJ were not going to be of any use in this game. Should have stuck with Perkins and joe T or much more Min early on. CJ was playing crappy D probably because of his foot. To much loyalty coach has for JBO.
Almost to the second JBo came in at the 3 or 4 minute mark they hit two wide open 3’s erased a 4 pt. Lead and went up 10 pts. Everyone lost confidence after that and the route was on. Not saying it was his fault it’s just the timeline.

It does seem to be a trend though. Some of his players play their least confident ball at this time of the year.

When his son missed garza on a poor bounce pass, instead of coaching his son to make up for it on defense, he just let's out a childish f bomb.

Team chemistry is hard to get going when you have someone that has unproductive emotional responses all the time.

At least when someone like bobby knight lost their cool, somewhere in the rage he actually had a point. Fran just randomly yells and leaves that player in.

He can recruit, he has good character interms of clean program, but he is trash in big ten tournament. Only has won the games that iowa was heavily favored in post season.

I don't not blame Fran for this lost. He's had plenty of opportunities and the best he could do with his best team was get stomped in second round.

His own son Connor has stagnated in development. He can pass... but what else? Can he make players uncomfortable defensively? no, is he an on court coach? No. Does he set the tone effort energy wise like Nicholas Baer? No.

Having outstanding entry pass ability is not a reason alone to start him. Wayyy to one dimensional. We should have moved him to sixth man by December. Tony or Joe needed to be ready to take his starting spot. Not just take some minutes like he finally did second half of the season.
Said this weeks ago, Conner should have been off the bench and Keegan or Joe should have started. Just to have a little speed on the floor.

Oregon's starting five averaged 19.6 points - 9, 17,19, 21, and 23. Garza had 36, Wieskamp got 17, but the remaining three of our starters had ZERO points. If that's not a coaching issue I really don't know what is. It pains me to say that because I really like Fran.

I think we got a bad draw playing a team that was gifted with a forfeit and had fresh legs, but that's no excuse. Garza and Wieskamp were clearly the only two players that were in the game mentally. No one else played with any kind of fire. Oregon came in guns blazing and kept the intensity up the whole game. Just when you thought Iowa would turn it around, Oregon would dunk it on us again.
I thought Patrick played great.

You can’t even make a complete English sentence and you want us to believe you played sports at Iowa?

If you played sports here then I’m third in the line of succession to become Pope.
Janitor’s pick up game after hours.

Mr. Davis lead Iowa to Sweet 16 in 1999 as a 5 seed. They lost to Connecticut, eventual National Champions by 10 points. For that effort, Mr. Davis was fired. So I think is karma that Iowa sucked after that.

Mr. Davis lead Iowa to Sweet 16 in 1999 as a 5 seed. They lost to Connecticut, eventual National Champions by 10 points. For that effort, Mr. Davis was fired. So I think is karma that Iowa sucked after that.
Seriously? You think the only reason Mr. Davis was fired was a loss in the Sweet 16? While he was a good coach, there was a laundry list of things that got him fired.

I'm torn as to whether I think we are recruiting and scheming with the focus on winning the BIG or attempting to put together a team to make a deep tournament run. We recruit and have a style of play to compete in one of the deepest conferences in the country, but with the past success of the conference in the post season I ask myself if I truly believe we have the right recruits and mentality. While this pertains to Iowa it may hinder the conference long term as well. BIG TEN school's recruit BIG TEN bodies, but we're seeing time and time again that success in the BIG doesn't necessarily translate into post season success. Maybe as a team, or even a conference, we need to reevaluate what needs to happen to win in the post season, as opposed to winning the conference if we want to bring home the hardware.

Iowa has not won a B10 Basketball reg season title since 1979 - 42 Years.
This year, we had "Fran's best team" and the POY. We finished 3rd in reg season and 3/4 in the tourney.
We failed to make the Sweet 16.
Many on here seem to feel this was a 'good season'.
Are you kidding? Are we really going to accept this mediocrity as OK?

We’ve hashed this out all season...piss poor 3-pt Defense has always been our Achilles heel.
Defense gets you deep into March.

Yep which is why Virginia won it all and Duke won it so many times. Those coaches of those teams actually make their players bend at the knees and get ready to bust ass on defense. I see a lot of straight legs on our guys on defense

This is what I have to say about sports: Coaches credit the players when you win and blame themselves when they lose.

I fully blame Fran for the loss in the 2nd round with a very good team.

Our overall FG% was almost the same as their 3P%. Impossible to win a game like that.

Even if we defended their 2PT better it might not have been a blowout, but we still lose.

Yep, damn near impossible unless there is a big turnover difference and the lesser shooting team gets a bunch of offensive rebounds and about a dozen more shots.

I knew Ore shot like crazy but even at that in a pretty high scoring game it is just a matter of hitting a few shots or turnovers and conversions to be in this game.

And we all know how games go, whether football, hockey, basketball, etc, when the clock and score are moving against you, you take chances, you rush things and the game looks bad and is bad that last few minutes. That 95-80 is a little closer than a 55-30 game.

Latest posts