Fran sucked but don't blame it all on him.

I'm torn as to whether I think we are recruiting and scheming with the focus on winning the BIG or attempting to put together a team to make a deep tournament run. We recruit and have a style of play to compete in one of the deepest conferences in the country, but with the past success of the conference in the post season I ask myself if I truly believe we have the right recruits and mentality. While this pertains to Iowa it may hinder the conference long term as well. BIG TEN school's recruit BIG TEN bodies, but we're seeing time and time again that success in the BIG doesn't necessarily translate into post season success. Maybe as a team, or even a conference, we need to reevaluate what needs to happen to win in the post season, as opposed to winning the conference if we want to bring home the hardware.

Before they fell apart a lot or somewhat Fran's teams with Devin Marble, White, Uthoff and those teams were long and lean and they could run. They were decent on defense with big woodbury in the lane (if woody could have really been an offensive force I dont think those teams falter). But I agree with what you say that a lot of the teams that do well in the NCAA's are teams loaded with greyhounds. They can run and run and run, quick very good penetrating guards etc etc.

Lute had many a good team in the Big 10 that tried to bang in the tourney and all they got for that many times was to get in foul trouble from refs from other leagues that didnt allow that crap.

For this topic I just want to exclude Fran's coaching for just a second.
RECRUITING
If you constantly recruit "skinny and slow" you will get run outta the gym by "athletic and fast" every stinking time.
Its the reason we were swept by both Indiana and Illinois and why we were smoked by the Zags, Michigan and Oregon.
All those teams were dramatically more athletic than Iowa's starters at the 1-2-3 spots.

Frederick and wiecamp airballing wide open 3's isn't on Fran... at some point players have to step the F up.

I blame fran for a lot of it.. but its not all on him

Can't have your 3 starting guards not even show up in the biggest game of the season.,

that's on them not Fran...

Well it was apparent to me that Jbo, CJ and even JW were having trouble making space against Ore's defense and getting room to shoot.

In that case Fran saw it also and then why doesnt he run some double baseline screen type plays for Jbo and CJ? Plays designed to get a certain player a shot and get him going and into the offense. So a lot of this is coaching

We hardly ever see anyone on the hawks other than Garza posting up low but we should almost always see that if there is a mismatch and lets say Pmac or Keegan get a 6 ft 2 guard on them.

And too much dribbling when passing the ball is quicker

Latest posts