All time B1G leaders in 3 pointers

Wow, lots of Nittany representation on there.

Would love have seen Steve Alford or Scott Skiles with a three point line.

What could Rick Mount have done in three years with the line?
I'll add:

Vince Brookins (couldn't dribble but could drain them with the best of them)
"Downtown" Freddy Brown (albeit only a two year player)

Might have gone head to head with Downtown Freddy Brown

We have our own Freddy now

He did put up 61 against the Hawkeyes in Layfette

However, they lost the game

I work with Freddy Brown's nephew and We love to talk basketball. Good family from Burlington, now living in Des Moines. Fred Brown got to be proud of his family.

I work with Freddy Brown's nephew and We love to talk basketball. Good family from Burlington, now living in Des Moines. Fred Brown got to be proud of his family.
Freddy's son was at Iowa for one season, and it happened to be the year Chris Street was killed. He redshirted and transferred without playing an official game at Iowa. I saw an exhibition game that year but dont remember if he played, or what the rule was at the time for potential redshirts playing in exhibition games. I remember another freshman, Kenyon Murray, rushing easy shots inside and not converting them.

AS long as we're throwing around Freddy Brown's name, I was a freshman at Iowa they year after the Hawks won the B1G title in 1970. Freddy was the only returning starter and Dick Schultz was the new coach. The Hawks weren't very good that year but Freddy was a star, he was gunning those beautiful jumpers from deep.

Downtown became Freddy's nickname in the NBA. He went on to have the best NBA career of any ex-Hawk, at least in my opinion. Seattle was pretty good when he was there, John Johnson was actually his teammate but Freddy had the better pro career. I remember a story, in Sports Illustrated I think, where Freddy was quoted as saying 'I own the 4th quarter' and he did.

We can all speculate where Freddy would have been with a 3 point shot, along with the others mentioned but that fits into the coulda, woulda, shoulda category.

I'll add:

Vince Brookins (couldn't dribble but could drain them with the best of them)
"Downtown" Freddy Brown (albeit only a two year player)
Vince got on a historic roll in the famous 1980 team's Final Four Run. There were two things in particular that stood out. One, he actually came off the bench for the opening round game vs Virginia Commonwealth. That didn't last long. Lute, who had to shuffle his lineup all year out of necessity, didnt hesitate to scrap the twin towers (Waite and Krafciscin) and get Vince's hot shooting on the floor.

The second thing that stood out was the regional final vs heavily favored Georgetown. All those physical John Thompson players and Vince still had a perfect shooting day from the floor. In fact, the second half of that game was probably the most perfect stretch of basketball an Iowa team has ever played.

We needed it, because Georgetown played well too. But Brookins was an assassin. I remember playing with my buddies in neighborhood driveways and guys trying to imitate Brookins' shooting range, complete with self commentary like "Vince BROOOOOK-ins!"

Vince Brookins was another great jump shooter for the Hawks, he was a key contributor to that Final Four team.

After Luka, having all these shooters makes this current team really tough.

AFter 3 of 'em against Rutgers....

1 374 Jon Diebler Ohio St
2 339 Louis Bullock Michigan
3 336 Shep Garner Penn St
4 332 Peter Lisicky Penn St
5 331 Shawn Respert Michigan St
6 327 Cory Bradford Illinois
7 320 Craig Moore NW
8 317 Talor Battle Penn St
9 310 JBo
10 308 Joe Crispin Penn St

JBo makes 6 at Maryland!

7 320 Craig Moore NW
8 317 Talor Battle Penn St
9 316 JBo

4 at home in win over Minnesota

7 320 Craig Moore NW
7 320 JBo
9 317 Talor Battle Penn St

If I recall correctly... most of these names from when 3pt line was at the top of the key.
Would be interesting to see how many of these guys games were wins or losses.
You can accumulate when firing late in the game or down a lot

If I recall correctly... most of these names from when 3pt line was at the top of the key.
Would be interesting to see how many of these guys games were wins or losses.
You can accumulate when firing late in the game or down a lot
This is the key takeaway. All but two of the guys above Bohannon shot from 19’9”, and those two shot their entire careers from 20’9”.

Bohannon is the only one to have to shoot from the current distance of 22’ 1 3/4”.

You wouldn’t compare two long jumpers who had the bar set a foot apart, same should be the case for three point shooters.

I don't think the shooting percentage changed much from the different distances? Too lazy to look this up.

I don't think the shooting percentage changed much from the different distances? Too lazy to look this up.
That’s because shooters are better.

It’s empirically obvious that hitting a target from a shorter distance whether it’s a bow and arrow, rifle, bowling ball, what have you...is easier than it is from farther away.

Shooters from the current distance have a harder objective to attain. That’s not disputable even if percentages stay the same.

That’s because shooters are better.

It’s empirically obvious that hitting a target from a shorter distance whether it’s a bow and arrow, rifle, bowling ball, what have you...is easier than it is from farther away.

Shooters from the current distance have a harder objective to attain. That’s not disputable even if percentages stay the same.
I don't know man. I can't remember Moss ever missing a shot when his foot was on the line, and he had a pretty big sample size too. That extra couple inches must matter. (Thats what she said)

I don't know man. I can't remember Moss ever missing a shot when his foot was on the line, and he had a pretty big sample size too. That extra couple inches must matter. (Thats what she said)
Someone has to show me some proof that difficulty doesn't increase as range increases. It's ludicrous to even consider that a 22+ foot three pointer is the same difficulty as one from 19'. Like flat earth-level stupid.

Any errors in trajectory, velocity, and any other variable increase proportionally to distance.

I'm sure teh further distance you shoot from does increase the difficulty and lwers the percentage, just wondering by how much. My guess is not that much.

Someone has to show me some proof that difficulty doesn't increase as range increases. It's ludicrous to even consider that a 22+ foot three pointer is the same difficulty as one from 19'. Like flat earth-level stupid.

Any errors in trajectory, velocity, and any other variable increase proportionally to distance.
I agree with you, just making a joke about Moss always having his foot on the line and making it.

What we are forgetting here is that every single one of these players has grown up with the 3-point shot. In the beginning of the 3-pointer, many coaches were loathe to allow their players to even shoot it... except for one or two players on the team. In today's game every single player has the ability to take 3-point shots and coaches don't typically pull guys for shooting them.

Look at it as ROI. When you take 10 shots, If you shoot 35% from the 3-point line you get 9 to 10 points; if you shoot 50% from inside the 3-point line you get 10 points. The bonus for teams is that when you miss a 3-point shot the rebound typically bounces farther from the basket and allows you a higher chance of an offensive rebound.

Latest posts