Hawkeyes Past, Present, Future Share Feelings on Racial Injustice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are there sides?

Because people have different opinions. There are two sides to every debate. Truth is tho, we are on the same side. We just have different opinions on the best way to achieve our goals. The actual two "sides" are racist and not racist.

You've shown your lack of understanding throughout this thread and throughout the time I've watched you comment on racial issues on here. No, you're not the only one, as evidenced by the ignorance in this thread. It's filled with whataboutism by you and others.

You start with accepting that there is unconscious bias and white privilege. If you don't want to acknowledge those things, you're lost. Educate yourself. Don't expect others to do it for you.

Both sides get it. They just get it in different ways. Your side doesn't get it better than ours. Right now you are saying the other side deflects and justifies, but in my opinion it's your side that deflects and justifies more. It would be so awesome to be able to run both ideas on how to solve racism through a simulator a thousand times and see which way works faster. Maybe one way dies work better. Maybe they both work the same. Maybe neither work at all. None of us no for sure but I would bet a lot of money that my way works better. It just sucks to be called a racist for having a different opinion on the best way to end racism.

This is pretty telling right here. Why are you assuming I was referring to you specifically, and where did I call you a racist? These are assumptions and accusations that you are making, not me.

Last edited:
Why are there sides?

Because they're are folks dug into their mindsets. Good luck changing adults minds. Even a lot of folks that say they are open minded aren't all that much so. Some can some will. Most won't...

Try getting a lifelong Hawkeye fan that's 60 yrs old to start rooting for Nebraska the rest of his life... As impossible as that sounds this is tougher. I sincerely don't think we'll see the day actually. It'll take todays 20-30something yr olds to raise their kids without hate/racism and then their kids to do the same first... It'll just take awhile. My generation and my folks's generation didn't do a good enough job at you could say.

...Another thing I could say that we owe the black community is a free trip back to their native land if they want it. There should be a government paid program that allows any black person who had slaves for ancestors to go home if they wish.

glared_big_eyes_shocked_stunned_angry_emoji_expression_face_emoticon_surprised_glares_glaring_shock_terrified_look_shocked_surprised-512.png

It's a coming out party, Rob. I'm not really surprised, but still kind of crazy at the number of people who just still don't get it. Instead of addressing the issue at hand, let's deflect and justify. That's realll productive.
And who are you two to say/tell/justify anyone’s background and experiences? Just because I’m white does not mean I grew up privileged. I lived in the worst part of town surrounded by poor like myself. I was the minority in my environment.

I was on food stamps and state assistance. So you two can get off you high horse telling people they need to feel how you feel. If it’s open let people feel how they choose you have no right to say you holy and we not.

I’ve had every “disadvantage” as anyone but I guess because I’m white I pulled through w that privilege. I treat people how they treat me, if other people have wrong done to them it’s sad but again not my doing. People doing the wrong need the fixing not everyone.

This is pretty telling right here. Why are you assuming I was referring to you specifically, and where did I call you a racist? These are assumptions and accusations that you are making, not me.
I wasn't talking about you and I. I was talking about your side and my side.

You start with accepting that there is unconscious bias and white privilege. If you don't want to acknowledge those things, you're lost. Educate yourself. Don't expect others to do it for you.

I agree with you Rob.

However, your passion has perhaps made you so angry you don’t allow an Olive branch anymore. No offense, you might be part of the reason why there are 2 sides. You effectively told him he doesn’t matter if he doesn’t agree with you, if he doesn’t do it your way and you’re the arbitrator of right/wrong. Whether you tried to or not. You acted condescending, from my perspective.

Not every white guy who doesn’t agree with you lock stock and barrel is bad Rob. But you’ve acted as though they are lately.

I’ve seen this coming out in you throughout this pandemic, now this. You’re anger is starting to boil over in how you treat people. I don’t know you from Adam, never met you. Only interaction is in this forum. Read your articles for years. You’re a good man and a good writer. I can see it.

Again, I’ve loved this forum. Loved it. And I’ve openly respected you even when I’ve disagreed. But you need to step back, sir. most of us aren’t bad. Like, not bad at all. Like, pretty good.

we probably want to get where you want to get too, just don’t see things the same. I’m sorry if I offended you, it’s your forum, your page. Ban me if you want. Tell me to get fucked if you like.

Here’s my story. In October 1996, myself and 2 of my friends were beaten senseless outside of a Cedar Rapids bar by 10 black guys. 3 on 10. Crime? Being white. They said my friend Chris called them the N-word. Little do they know how wrong they were, he’s literally a BLM guy today. My other friend Mike drifted in/out of consciousness all night. I had a broken nose and black eyes to match my bandaged up skull from a pipe.

I was pissed, and automatically so racist I sold every “black” thing I had. Hip/hip CD’s, 70’s soul/funk records, etc. tried to teach my dog to hate black people, which doesn’t work, by the way.

moved to Garden City Kansas because I needed a new start. Working construction with my brother, and the first job was at Orlando and Rolanda Kinney’s house. Changed my life. Sweetest people, and had a 5 year old son named Ayden who had a smile to light up a room. Genuine, nice people. Fed me, liked me, listened to me, laughed with me. Became like family. I still send them Christmas cards.

So Rob, don’t discount people. We all been through some shit, see things differently. Not all of us are bad. That piece of shit cop in Minneapolis is bad. The people who’ve trashed George Floyd’s memory to riot and loot are bad. True protestors are in the right. America needs change. Black people need and deserve to be heard, recognized and respected, along with a fresh start. Sometimes help can come when you least expect it in the strangest forms. The Lord works in mysterious ways friend.

can we get back to football or 2021 or something? All this and it’s not even officially summer. What’s next? DO NOT ANSWER.

Best of luck to you. As a father of two boys I can only tell you it does get easier as they mature ... those high school days are typically the most challenging.
My kids are 22, 20 and 16. They are well on their way to carving their own unique niches in the world.

I agree with you Rob.

However, your passion has perhaps made you so angry you don’t allow an Olive branch anymore. No offense, you might be part of the reason why there are 2 sides. You effectively told him he doesn’t matter if he doesn’t agree with you, if he doesn’t do it your way and you’re the arbitrator of right/wrong. Whether you tried to or not. You acted condescending, from my perspective.

Not every white guy who doesn’t agree with you lock stock and barrel is bad Rob. But you’ve acted as though they are lately.

I’ve seen this coming out in you throughout this pandemic, now this. You’re anger is starting to boil over in how you treat people. I don’t know you from Adam, never met you. Only interaction is in this forum. Read your articles for years. You’re a good man and a good writer. I can see it.

Again, I’ve loved this forum. Loved it. And I’ve openly respected you even when I’ve disagreed. But you need to step back, sir. most of us aren’t bad. Like, not bad at all. Like, pretty good.

we probably want to get where you want to get too, just don’t see things the same. I’m sorry if I offended you, it’s your forum, your page. Ban me if you want. Tell me to get fucked if you like.

Here’s my story. In October 1996, myself and 2 of my friends were beaten senseless outside of a Cedar Rapids bar by 10 black guys. 3 on 10. Crime? Being white. They said my friend Chris called them the N-word. Little do they know how wrong they were, he’s literally a BLM guy today. My other friend Mike drifted in/out of consciousness all night. I had a broken nose and black eyes to match my bandaged up skull from a pipe.

I was pissed, and automatically so racist I sold every “black” thing I had. Hip/hip CD’s, 70’s soul/funk records, etc. tried to teach my dog to hate black people, which doesn’t work, by the way.

moved to Garden City Kansas because I needed a new start. Working construction with my brother, and the first job was at Orlando and Rolanda Kinney’s house. Changed my life. Sweetest people, and had a 5 year old son named Ayden who had a smile to light up a room. Genuine, nice people. Fed me, liked me, listened to me, laughed with me. Became like family. I still send them Christmas cards.

So Rob, don’t discount people. We all been through some shit, see things differently. Not all of us are bad. That piece of shit cop in Minneapolis is bad. The people who’ve trashed George Floyd’s memory to riot and loot are bad. True protestors are in the right. America needs change. Black people need and deserve to be heard, recognized and respected, along with a fresh start. Sometimes help can come when you least expect it in the strangest forms. The Lord works in mysterious ways friend.

can we get back to football or 2021 or something? All this and it’s not even officially summer. What’s next? DO NOT ANSWER.

I'm not stepping back and I don't agree with you. I don't want to hear your whataboutism story. You want me to acknowledge people on here not willing to accept unconscious bias and white privilege and want no part of understanding it and someone talking about sending black people back to Africa?

Come on, dude. The time for soft-stepping is done. If you expect that from me moving forward, you're going to be very disappointed.

You've shown your lack of understanding throughout this thread and throughout the time I've watched you comment on racial issues on here. No, you're not the only one, as evidenced by the ignorance in this thread. It's filled with whataboutism by you and others.

Ok, fair enough, but have you been in situations where you as a white person are the minority, by a substantial margin?
You don't think there is bias?? I have been in those situations and there is absolutely bias and probably discrimination.
Now here is what is really strange.
Why do large cities have places like China Town? Nobody tells them they have to stay separated. From prison, to tables at packing houses, to neighborhoods in cities, even when they are free to do whatever they want, people tend to stick to groups. Those groups are usually separated by ethinticity and race.
Now one could argue that this is a tribal thing. Because I have had people with a certain last name recognize my last name because our ancestors were neighbors in another country way back when and if one group family went to war, so did the other one. It's possible that what you are trying to make out as a simplistic view of racism is not racism, as thought of as most people do, but rather an oath and bond spanning back 100's and 100's of years. Not to hate or discriminate against but to protect lands, people, families from things and or people. Every single person has that somewhere in their lineage.
If that is the case, then you can see why people tend to group up like they do. It might not have anything to do with racism as it does preference and favoritism. Good luck getting that out of people. Because try as you may, you have preference and thus favoritism. From picking a spouse to which parent you most identify with.
That doesn't mean you don't love both parents however. You are just biased towards one.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what this face is for so I'll elaborate. This wasn't a "if you don't like it go home" idea. It's a legit idea to give people what they want. Slaves were ripped out of their homeland and forced to come here. Centuries later, they are free to do what they choose. If anyone truly wants to go back to their roots and can't afford to, there should be a program in place that allows them to. Imagine if Irish people were forced the same way Africans were. It's easy to imagine that today some people would have dreams of returning to their homeland. This isn't a racist idea. It's an idea to do something right to help with a wrong that was done to them centuries ago.

I'm not sure what this face is for so I'll elaborate. This wasn't a "if you don't like it go home" idea. It's a legit idea to give people what they want. Slaves were ripped out of their homeland and forced to come here. Centuries later, they are free to do what they choose. If anyone truly wants to go back to their roots and can't afford to, there should be a program in place that allows them to. Imagine if Irish people were forced the same way Africans were. It's easy to imagine that today some people would have dreams of returning to their homeland. This isn't a racist idea. It's an idea to do something right to help with a wrong that was done to them centuries ago.

My God, he's doubling down!

If you guys really want to try to understand the plight of the black man, I mean really care, here's a LINK

That was created by a friend of mine who earned a PHD from Iowa. There are a lot of great programs with his organization and throughout the country and world. There's not time for black people to educate you on your bias. You must do it yourself if you care.

I believe that campaign was pushed by a guy named Theodore Bilbo about 100 years ago. I thought it was relegated to the dustbin of history. Anyway, America is a melting pot. If someone is legally here or a natural born resident, no one should make offers to send them somewhere unless it is these clowns who say "IF X WINS THE ELECTION, I'M MOVING TO [INSERT COUNTRY]." Those people are extremist asswipes. America is the best country on Earth and no one should advocate deporting citizens. We just gotta get along.

It's a coming out party, Rob. I'm not really surprised, but still kind of crazy at the number of people who just still don't get it. Instead of addressing the issue at hand, let's deflect and justify. That's realll productive.
Butbut this immigrant hurt somebody, this one killed somebody, complete deflection. I realize I live a sheltered life but holy shit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts