Fidone TE
Parks RB
Irving RB
Bruce ATH
Booker DE
Hanson DE
Young CB
McCulley QB
Your list would put us at 27, which I doubt we go that high. Probably settle around 20-22 as usual.

We're out on Noel (trimmed it to 2 without us), and likely have backed off Hanson (we already have Bowie, Liddle, and Llewelyn, and Benny and Booker are both higher priorities). Probably only take 1 RB, which right now looks like Parks. Not sure how legitimate our chances are with Young or McCulley.

50/50 shots at Benny (us and Michigan), Johnson & Fidone (us and Nebby), and Bruce (us and ISU).

High probability with Alt (though Minnesota is pushing hard), Myslinski, Brecht, Bell, Parks.

Probably add at least one more TE (especially if we don't get Fidone). Maybe pluck Moore away from ISU, since he's always been a huge Iowa fan.
Good list Modeba and a good summary by BV.

-I don’t think we need to take Alt at this point quite frankly because we are recruiting so well on the Oline I don’t think we need to take a project. If we get him I certainly won’t be upset.

My wish list right now would be in this order:
1. Benny (Behind QB; DLine is the most important part of a good Iowa team)
2. Parks
3. Fidone
4. Brecht
5. Young (I don’t think we really are in this one and would like to find another quality DB)
5. Myslinski
6. Bell
7. Bruce IV (aka Tyrone Tracy reincarnated)
8. Booker (I don’t know a ton about him)

I almost put Brecht ahead of Fidone simply because our TE room is already stacked. Even if we only get 4 out of those 8 this class is going to be really good.

Good list Modeba and a good summary by BV.

-I don’t think we need to take Alt at this point quite frankly because we are recruiting so well on the Oline I don’t think we need to take a project. If we get him I certainly won’t be upset.

My wish list right now would be in this order:
1. Benny (Behind QB; DLine is the most important part of a good Iowa team)
2. Parks
3. Fidone
4. Brecht
5. Young (I don’t think we really are in this one and would like to find another quality DB)
5. Myslinski
6. Bell
7. Bruce IV (aka Tyrone Tracy reincarnated)
8. Booker (I don’t know a ton about him)

I almost put Brecht ahead of Fidone simply because our TE room is already stacked. Even if we only get 4 out of those 8 this class is going to be really good.
Yeah I got 27 on this list. That’s because we will probably lose a couple during “spring ball” this year. Also because I believe Alt will be a preferred walk-on at this point. Still we are only allowed 25 in any cycle. Now we have a commitment from Davidkov, so that’s one off my list! Still want the Myslinski kid to top off our offensive line. That would make it the best offensive line group ever had in the Ferentz era.

One name I'll add to the lists above is Keagon Johnson out of Nebraska.

Unfortunately, he'll probably end up at Nebby, but he's worth the effort if we can get him. Terrific all-around athlete. I could see him at WR or DB. Underrated recruit I would take in a heartbeat.

Also, I agree that there's a very strong likelihood that Parks ends up committing, but I would encourage people to watch tape of Irving. Reminds me a lot of Canzeri, with a little more burst. He also has some receiving ability and a bit of a violent running style for a little guy. I have no idea where we stand with him, though. Parks is very similar to the two Williams we have coming in this season.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11146387/5d8059e96e8b360b5cf0025f

Last edited:
Yeah I got 27 on this list. That’s because we will probably lose a couple during “spring ball” this year. Also because I believe Alt will be a preferred walk-on at this point. Still we are only allowed 25 in any cycle. Now we have a commitment from Davidkov, so that’s one off my list! Still want the Myslinski kid to top off our offensive line. That would make it the best offensive line group ever had in the Ferentz era.
I don’t think Alt will be walking on. He’s got offers from Minnesota, Kansas State, and Missouri. Tough to pass up a scholarship.

Mylinski would be icing on the cake and I do think we get him. Think I read something that he used to live next to Eric Steinbach and he watches Brandon Scherff highlights before every game he plays.

Recruiting has been awesome I guess my only slight gripe is it seems like Corner recruiting has been down a little bit. Seemed like we had some momentum there after King and Jackson, which led to Hankins, DJ Johnson, and Brents. Seems that has kinda fallen off a bit. I like the Oladokun kid but I think we could bring in another guy at that level or better given our success at DB.

(McKinney, Harris, Deasfernades, Lawson seem like mid to lower level 3*s. Not saying they can’t pan out because we’ve seen that a ton but would think we could land some higher level kids at that spot). Have to trust PP though.

One name I'll add to the lists above is Keagon Johnson out of Nebraska.

Unfortunately, he'll probably end up at Nebby, but he's worth the effort if we can get him. Terrific all-around athlete. I could see him at WR or DB. Underrated recruit I would take in a heartbeat.

Also, I agree that there's a very strong likelihood that Parks ends up committing, but I would encourage people to watch tape of Irving. Reminds me a lot of Canzeri, with a little more burst. He also has some receiving ability and a bit of a violent running style for a little guy. I have no idea where we stand with him, though. Parks is very similar to the two Williams we have coming in this season.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11146387/5d8059e96e8b360b5cf0025f
Irving just committed to Minny.

Fleck is killing it on the recruiting trail, and he's not done. As sickening as it is, don't be surprised if he ends up with a top 15 class. We CANNOT let him pull Austin Booker away from us. He's a DE with immense potential that has visited Iowa City I believe twice. Along with Fidone, he's our biggest target left, IMHO. Fleck is recruiting Booker hard.

At RB, we still have our sights set on Parks. If we reel in Parks this cycle, and Arlen Harris next year (who, by all accounts is an absolute stud that we are heavily recruiting), we will be set at RB for a good while.

Fleck is killing it on the recruiting trail, and he's not done. As sickening as it is, don't be surprised if he ends up with a top 15 class. We CANNOT let him pull Austin Booker away from us. He's a DE with immense potential that has visited Iowa City I believe twice. Along with Fidone, he's our biggest target left, IMHO. Fleck is recruiting Booker hard.

At RB, we still have our sights set on Parks. If we reel in Parks this cycle, and Arlen Harris next year (who, by all accounts is an absolute stud that we are heavily recruiting), we will be set at RB for a good while.
I thought Fleck was a charlatan, more fit for being a TV Evangelist or politician.

He must being doing something right. Perhaps he sells Amway on the side.

Minnesota should out-recruit Iowa every year given the demographics, perhaps the TV Rev. is coming home to roost.

I hope they get good enough to beat up Wisconsin every year.

Don’t count the chickens just yet for Fleck. Since he’s been there he’s had a big problem with de-commits. I think I heard something like 8 of their current commits haven’t even been to campus yet. I don’t doubt that they’ll have a nice class, but so will Iowa.

Let’s see if last years success was a flash in the pan or he will be able to sustain success.

I think Fleck only has 11 seniors graduating. Don't know how many transfers he's had or ones that just quit.

Don’t count the chickens just yet for Fleck. Since he’s been there he’s had a big problem with de-commits. I think I heard something like 8 of their current commits haven’t even been to campus yet. I don’t doubt that they’ll have a nice class, but so will Iowa.

Let’s see if last years success was a flash in the pan or he will be able to sustain success.
Yeah, I had the same thought. That's kind of what you would expect from his style of recruiting, which is to give a dramatic spiel, then pressure the player to commit on the spot.

I think this situation is a little different, though. The players are not getting his speech in his office, and, he's coming off a season which demonstrates that his methods lead to success. He's building on momentum, so my guess is that he will end up with a great class - perhaps the best class Minny has ever had on paper.

It will be nauseating if he swoops in and gets Booker. I'll respect him for his recruiting chops, but will want to inflict physical damage on him at the same time.

I think Fleck only has 11 seniors graduating. Don't know how many transfers he's had or ones that just quit.
Very few were from an already very good offense, which lost its main RBs and one good receiver in Johnson. Nevertheless, their offense could easily end up being the best in the West. Teams are going to have to outscore them.

Fleck may be somewhat of an eccentric maniac, but he's getting results and building on that momentum. We can't underestimate him or Minny.

It is going to get very interesting for ALL teams/schools if this pandemic lasts into the season. You have Minnesota and Wisconsin already talking about major athletic budget issues with the AD at Minnesota saying all options are on the table.

How will this affect recruiting? How does this affect possible new recruits and it can affect staff, facilities, services, etc. If these schools cannot rely on packed stadiums and all the other ancillary revenues that come with it to support the other sports what will happen to them. If some of these schools drastically cut or hold coaches salaries what is to stop them from jumping to the NFL If they are open? Does PJ or other coaches leave because of money if Minny cuts their salary?

Could this ultimately lead to schools leaving conference affiliations and the NCAA so they can control when they open and how they operate? At many of these schools we are talking HUGE money with lots of hands in the till. We could be at a breaking point very soon where some very difficult decisions will need to be made and the people with the money and big time obligations for that money start to pull some strings behind the scenes.

Yeah, I had the same thought. That's kind of what you would expect from his style of recruiting, which is to give a dramatic spiel, then pressure the player to commit on the spot.

I think this situation is a little different, though. The players are not getting his speech in his office, and, he's coming off a season which demonstrates that his methods lead to success. He's building on momentum, so my guess is that he will end up with a great class - perhaps the best class Minny has ever had on paper.

It will be nauseating if he swoops in and gets Booker. I'll respect him for his recruiting chops, but will want to inflict physical damage on him at the same time.
I don’t know. I think guys are worried right now that they might lose their spots and are committing before they are ready and comfortable. That would play nicely for a guy like Fleck who pressures commitments. Eventually I think this all clears over and it’s possible these kids have some buyers remorse. Either way they’ll end with a very nice class, but so will Iowa, and I’ll take Iowa’s development and program all day long.

Very few were from an already very good offense, which lost its main RBs and one good receiver in Johnson. Nevertheless, their offense could easily end up being the best in the West. Teams are going to have to outscore them.

Fleck may be somewhat of an eccentric maniac, but he's getting results and building on that momentum. We can't underestimate him or Minny.
For some reason people forget that this is the same Minny team who beat FCS South Dakota State 28-21, Fresno State 38-35 in 2OT, and Georgia Southern 35-32 last year in the non conference.

At home with a chance to go to the B1G championship they got abused by Wisconsin.

I’m of the personal belief that you will see them revert to the mean this year. I think teams will have a better book on stopping that RPO. Morgan I could see having a down year. The defense is a major question mark.

Now could they beat Iowa at home in a Friday night home game early in the year? Absolutely, but I’m not expecting another 10 win type year for the Goophs. 8-4 sounds about right to me.

The lack of an elite RB is what has separated us from Wisconsin for many years. Plus, some puzzling coaching.

And I don't understand why 4 star RB's wouldn't consistently want to come to Iowa an run behind these lines. Probably one of the most NFL style teams in college, talking game plan and how the team prepares.

And I don't understand why 4 star RB's wouldn't consistently want to come to Iowa an run behind these lines. Probably one of the most NFL style teams in college, talking game plan and how the team prepares.

Your Avatar answers your question, its Iowa. Same reason why Garza didn't win POTY. Iowa isn't the sexy pick and nothing is going to be handed to you, you'll have to work for it every year. How many 4-5 star kids out there would come to Iowa and expect to start from day one and not have to earn their playing time. Answer is, not many.

I don’t know. I think guys are worried right now that they might lose their spots and are committing before they are ready and comfortable. That would play nicely for a guy like Fleck who pressures commitments. Eventually I think this all clears over and it’s possible these kids have some buyers remorse. Either way they’ll end with a very nice class, but so will Iowa, and I’ll take Iowa’s development and program all day long.
For some reason people forget that this is the same Minny team who beat FCS South Dakota State 28-21, Fresno State 38-35 in 2OT, and Georgia Southern 35-32 last year in the non conference.

At home with a chance to go to the B1G championship they got abused by Wisconsin.

I’m of the personal belief that you will see them revert to the mean this year. I think teams will have a better book on stopping that RPO. Morgan I could see having a down year. The defense is a major question mark.

Now could they beat Iowa at home in a Friday night home game early in the year? Absolutely, but I’m not expecting another 10 win type year for the Goophs. 8-4 sounds about right to me.
I agree about the recruiting. I was more referencing his history of decommits due to the pressure tactics. Right now, he doesn't have the luxury of the standard office-based recruiting pressure tactic that he normally employs. The risk for decommiting due to the lack of on-site visits and second-guessing is still there, as it is with every program right now. He'll probably lose a couple.

As for how they will do, I just hope we have a season to find out. They were a different team as the season progressed, so I don't really put a lot of stock in those early struggles. I do think their offense is for real. Teams no doubt will adjust to that RPO somewhat (plus, they lost their OC), but they run it extremely efficiently. Morgan is better than people think and that offensive line is a powerhouse. If they can find a reasonably effective new RB and a receiver steps up in Johnson's role, I can see them having the best offense in the division.

We'll see. I hope you're right about regressing to the mean and an 8-4 (or worse) season. I'd love to see Fleck fall flat on his face. A lot will depend upon how they rebound from losing a good portion of their defense.

I think our lines have been vastly overrated to be quite honest. Either that or the zone blocking scheme has just been past by. I think it’s probably been a little of both. Scheme doesn’t mean much for a RB, if you can play you can play.

Have we had the RB talent of Wisconsin? No, but you could put some of our backs behind their lines and they’d go for 1,000 yards. Their lines have been much better than ours (despite some top end talent we’ve had).

I along with others here have been saying we need a change in style/philosophy for the run game, and there does appear to be some noise that the coaches might be catching on some. Are we completely abandoning the zone scheme? No, but it does sound like we may see less of it.

I think there has been some fall off on the interior offensive line talent the last 5 years. I also think our talent at RB has took a couple years off from Wadley to Goodson. That said, we have not had a back that both had moves and physicality (like they have at Wisconsin) in some time. It seems we have backs that are either big and run you over, or are small and make you miss. We need those traits in one back.

As for zone blocking, that is not the issue IMHO. A number of NFL teams use it, and it is effective when taught correctly. The problem the last few years has been playcalling. BF has been very hit or miss on game planning and play calling. I think he is trending in the right direction, slowly. We have played to tendency too much, which means if you know a run is coming and load the box, it does not matter what type of block you try.

I also think BF has been hampered a bit by Stanley being conservative and not a dynamic playmaker off script. Not a criticism of NS, he did what the coach's asked of him and was very efficient. But, sometimes you need a guy to move the sticks even when your playcalling stinks. CJ had that ability. Hopefully Petras does as well.

I think there has been some fall off on the interior offensive line talent the last 5 years. I also think our talent at RB has took a couple years off from Wadley to Goodson. That said, we have not had a back that both had moves and physicality (like they have at Wisconsin) in some time. It seems we have backs that are either big and run you over, or are small and make you miss. We need those traits in one back.

As for zone blocking, that is not the issue IMHO. A number of NFL teams use it, and it is effective when taught correctly. The problem the last few years has been playcalling. BF has been very hit or miss on game planning and play calling. I think he is trending in the right direction, slowly. We have played to tendency too much, which means if you know a run is coming and load the box, it does not matter what type of block you try.

I also think BF has been hampered a bit by Stanley being conservative and not a dynamic playmaker off script. Not a criticism of NS, he did what the coach's asked of him and was very efficient. But, sometimes you need a guy to move the sticks even when your playcalling stinks. CJ had that ability. Hopefully Petras does as well.
I think the zone blocking scheme has been at least a portion of the problem, particularly when you factor in the new rules emphasis on below-the-knee blocking. Frankly, our coaches have had significant difficulty adjusting to the new rules.

The lack of interior talent you referenced is definitely a factor as well. Our blocking scheme puts a lot of pressure on the guards and centers to execute, but if the talent is questionable, the results will be as well. Also, teams were not only loading the box, they were basically selling out at the snap as soon as they saw the shift by essentially throwing LBs and a safety into the line in an effort to completely disrupt the scheme, and it was effective. Towards the end of last season, we saw Brian make some changes to counter that strategy, but it took a few butt-kickings to get there.

As for RBs, yes, for whatever reason, we have really struggled recruiting that position. Hopefully, with Goodson the trend is changing, but it's been an issue for quite some time. Parks and Harris could very well keep us on the right path.