Top Tackle Target Beau Stephens Enjoying Tight Bond with Iowa

Where are you coming up with that Jonathan Taylor thing? 247 reports no interest or offer from Iowa.

Also Wadley, L Daniels, and Butler all had at least a cup of coffee in the NFL. While I agree we haven’t had the RBs Wisconsin has, I still maintain that doesn’t tell the whole story. Wisconsin has a former walk on Garrett Groshek who has a career YPC of 5.5 through three years with over 900 yards.

Iowa’s Oline play hasn’t lived up to the “perception” of what it is for several years. I believe it’s scheme related.

I'm going by what I heard, I think from Morehouse and Dochterman, but it may have been someone else. But anyway, according to them, we were in pretty well early on with Taylor (might have been his first or 2nd offer) and there was real mutual interest, but we backed away when we got the early commit from Eno. Just going off what I've heard. If it's wrong, then it's wrong.

But I stand by my assertion that if we had the stable of running backs that Wisky has had, they would have been just as successful here as they were in Wisky. There's more than one way to skin a cat (zone, gap, hat-on-hat, etc), but if the "blade" is dull (i.e. the RB isn't talented enough), then skinning that cat gets pretty difficult.

I'm going by what I heard, I think from Morehouse and Dochterman, but it may have been someone else. But anyway, according to them, we were in pretty well early on with Taylor (might have been his first or 2nd offer) and there was real mutual interest, but we backed away when we got the early commit from Eno. Just going off what I've heard. If it's wrong, then it's wrong.

But I stand by my assertion that if we had the stable of running backs that Wisky has had, they would have been just as successful here as they were in Wisky. There's more than one way to skin a cat (zone, gap, hat-on-hat, etc), but if the "blade" is dull (i.e. the RB isn't talented enough), then skinning that cat gets pretty difficult.
Interesting on the first part, I hadn’t heard that. Even if we had Eno we would have been substantially better last couple years.

But on the second part I respectfully disagree. Despite what perception is of Iowa’s offensive line, we simply haven’t been good enough regardless of who was at RB. Jonathan Taylor set NCAA records in three years at UW, I’m not sure Bo Jackson in his prime would have even put up those numbers behind Iowa’s Oline last season. Again, how often did you see a guy on Iowa getting hit in the backfield? It happens far too often.

Latest posts