The first QB I remember playing for Iowa was

archiehawk

Randy Duncan. I've seen the good with the bad. But never have I seen a QB constantly choke in almost every BIG game like Stanley. Completely inept. And BF is no better. Boring Boring Boring offense that never improves year after year and actually regresses from year to year. I know changes aren't coming and it makes me sick.

Randy Duncan. I've seen the good with the bad. But never have I seen a QB constantly choke in almost every BIG game like Stanley. Completely inept. And BF is no better. Boring Boring Boring offense that never improves year after year and actually regresses from year to year. I know changes aren't coming and it makes me sick.

He's no Phil Suess. :)

AR-312079991.jpg

Understand, but I believe our OL is where it starts in our ineptness on offense this year. You might want to catch the Miller/Deace podcast. I thought some interesting analysis was provided by Deace on the subject of the ills of our offense in recent times.

Willie Fleming, Bobby Jeter ........Rose Bowl, baby!

Let me just say it is a list but I cant take it for much worth leaving off Kenny Ploen. I mean he QBed the hawk' total resurgence in big time football. Look below, Big 10 title, Rose Bowl winner, All American and Big Ten player of the year.

And Tom Polholsky is on the list. Hey Tom was a good hawk, he filled in for an injured Mark Vlasic and won a huge game at Mich St. But he was named the starter the next year and he literally choked and couldnt throw a pass on target and was benched in the first game. I felt sorry for him but whoever created this list did absolutely zero real research.

College football[edit]
In 1956, Ploen became the University of Iowa Hawkeyes starting quarterback. That year, he led his team to its first Big Ten Conference title in 35 years and a victory in the 1957 Rose Bowl Game. He was named an All-American and the Big Ten player of the year. He was voted the 1957 Rose Bowl's Most Valuable Player.[citation needed]

And Kenny Ploen was the first hawk QB I ever saw play in person and maybe once on TV or short circuit TV at a theater.

Kenny P. Randy D. Wilburn Hollis. Jerry Mauren played with Hollis as a wingback. I coached on Jerry’s staff at Kennedy in CR years ago.

My brother in law took the family to Iowa homecoming in 1972. I'm pretty sure it was Michigan State. An older brother was in the band also. We saw the parade and a pep rally at the old fieldhouse the day before. I was eight. No idea who the quarterback was. I don't think he's on the list. I think it was an option offense. I think the object of that offense (at least for Iowa) was to get your ass to the sideline as quickly as possible before getting slammed to the ground by a defender. Now that I think of it Michigan State was pretty much the same, and almost as bad. There were a couple fieldgoals a piece.

Last edited:

Latest posts