Keys: Michigan Game

NikeHawk21

1. Defensive Line / Pass Rush:
This needs to be a coming out party for this group. Stop the run and get after the QB, that’s the best way to help our secondary. Will the real Chauncey Golston please stand up? Can Nixon build off last week? I think it’s time for an AJE strip sack.

2. Iowa needs to run the football:
Establish the ground game which will make it easier on Stanley and also allow us to control the clock and keep our defense fresh. Michigan hasn’t been great against the run, they lost a lot in the front 7. Iowa has improved in this area this year but needs to keep it going.

3. Turnovers.
This is a key in almost every game. Iowa has been really good in this area but if they have a couple turnovers in this one it’s going to be very tough to overcome.

I went into this season thinking Iowa would be a pass-first team in the big games, when it mattered. Great pass protection, senior QB, good receiving targets.

It looks like I underestimated just how much the running game would grow.

If we assume Michigan will stack the box to take away the run, do we take what they give us, or do we lean on our strength thus far? Is it even fair to call our running game the strength, or are we balanced enough to make them pay either way?

This seems like the kind of game where an OC could easily out-think himself. Very curious how it comes out.

I went into this season thinking Iowa would be a pass-first team in the big games, when it mattered. Great pass protection, senior QB, good receiving targets.

It looks like I underestimated just how much the running game would grow.

If we assume Michigan will stack the box to take away the run, do we take what they give us, or do we lean on our strength thus far? Is it even fair to call our running game the strength, or are we balanced enough to make them pay either way?

This seems like the kind of game where an OC could easily out-think himself. Very curious how it comes out.
I would say we are balanced. You are correct in that Michigan might just stack the box and see if Stanley can beat them.

If that’s the case we need to pass on early downs to set up the run later in the game.

You are also right in that this is a big game for BF to see if he can make the proper adjustments if his gameplan isn’t working.

1. Defensive Line / Pass Rush:
This needs to be a coming out party for this group. Stop the run and get after the QB, that’s the best way to help our secondary. Will the real Chauncey Golston please stand up? Can Nixon build off last week? I think it’s time for an AJE strip sack.

2. Iowa needs to run the football:
Establish the ground game which will make it easier on Stanley and also allow us to control the clock and keep our defense fresh. Michigan hasn’t been great against the run, they lost a lot in the front 7. Iowa has improved in this area this year but needs to keep it going.

3. Turnovers.
This is a key in almost every game. Iowa has been really good in this area but if they have a couple turnovers in this one it’s going to be very tough to overcome.
To me it rests solely on the secondary, period.

Gattis and Harbaugh have seen our DBs get burned repeatedly by bottom feeder receiver corps, and as long as they throw away from Ojemudia they've got it dicked. You can write this down, they are coming at us fast and often through the air. First Michigan play from scrimmage is a post route 40 yards down the right sideline. Book it.

I can't say this enough, this Iowa squad hasn't even had a sniff of a competent team this year. We would have probably lost to a terrible ISU team if they didn't F it up themselves. The secondary has been atrocious, and Michigan will be smelling blood in the water. If Parker can't figure out how to keep his guys behind post routes and how to make tackles across the middle, this game will get mucho ugly from the get go. If they somehow work it out, this one is winnable.

Last edited:
It's Don Brown. They're going to stack the box and play man on the outside. Even if we hit big plays, he's going to stay with it.

If I were the offensive coaching staff, I'd do what we did in the Pitt game back in 2015. We knew we couldn't run on those guys, so came out in shotgun and ran a bunch of short routes to act as our running game and then tried to hit Tevaun deep off and on to keep them honest.

I think it'd be fun as hell to start off on offense with Stanley in the gun just slinging it around the playground.

Gattis and Harbaugh have seen our DBs get burned repeatedly by bottom feeder receiver corps, and as long as they throw away from Ojemudia they've got it dicked. You can write this down, they are coming at us fast and often through the air. First Michigan play from scrimmage is a post route 40 yards down the right sideline. Book it.

I can't say this enough, this team hasn't even had a passing sniff of a competent team this year. We would have probably lost to a terrible ISU team if they didn't F it up themselves. The secondary has been atrocious, and Michigan will be smelling blood in the water. If Parker can't figure out how to keep his guys behind post routes and how to make tackles across the middle, this game will get mucho ugly from the get go. If they somehow work it out, this one is winnable.

Michigan is soft as warm butter. We will hit them in the mouth and they'll go into their shell like they did against Wisconsin. Michigan under Harbaugh is the typical bully....beats up on the lower tier until someone stands up and punches them in the mouth and they fold like a wet blanket.

This is the same team that was behind the entire 1st quarter against MTSU, the same team that needed overtime to beat a very average Army team, and the same team that got treated like a $5 hooker by Wisky.

This game is going to be similar to the 2002 beatdown.

I would pass it at least the first 5 plays, with 2 of them off play action. Maybe take one deep shot. 6th play or so would be a draw. Get them back on their heels, then start pounding the rock.

It's Don Brown. They're going to stack the box and play man on the outside. Even if we hit big plays, he's going to stay with it.

If I were the offensive coaching staff, I'd do what we did in the Pitt game back in 2015. We knew we couldn't run on those guys, so came out in shotgun and ran a bunch of short routes to act as our running game and then tried to hit Tevaun deep off and on to keep them honest.

I think it'd be fun as hell to start off on offense with Stanley in the gun just slinging it around the playground.
I’m sure they stacked the box against UW and Army as well... but it didn’t work. If we can run the ball effectively we should do it.

I like our chances to establish the run game against them. Our RBs and QB have done a great job of limiting our turnovers (only 1 fumble lost and 0 INTs). Your point #1, pass rush is where we need to step up.

Our DL has been very good against the run and Michigan has not run the ball very well at all. If we don't get some pass rush with the front 4 I could see Phil dialing up the blitz packages to put pressure on Patterson in passing situations. We win these type of games when we play aggressive.

0010_ORBIT_on_Keys_Black_2000x.jpg
LowerKeys-Andy-Newman%20_%20FloridaKeysNewsBureau.jpg.1280.700.rendition
10954041-piano-keys.jpg
Map_Key_A4.jpg
1297163158935_ORIGINAL.jpg
steve-miller-band-the-black-keys.jpg

Iowa has run the ball well / UM hasn’t stopped the run well

Iowa has stopped the run well / UM hasn’t run the ball effectively

Iowa has limited turnovers / UM has turned the ball over

If those trends continue you have to like where we sit. Secondary has to hold up as well.

I like the different takes here. Generally, Iowa matches up well to the product Michigan has shown on the field. @Fryowa is absolutely right in his criticism of the secondary, but it comes with the big asterisk that Michigan’s offense has to pass well, and that they’ve been totally unable to do that except against a wannabe NAIA program. I tend toward the more optimistic side. I think Michigan is a feeble paper giant this year, with an offensive coordinator that has shined in the past because he wasn’t actually calling shit. If Iowa can put together two unanswered scoring drives to start the game, Michigan probably never recovers. I hope our guys put together a great game plan. This is either the start of something special, or business as usual.

I like the different takes here. Generally, Iowa matches up well to the product Michigan has shown on the field. @Fryowa is absolutely right in his criticism of the secondary, but it comes with the big asterisk that Michigan’s offense has to pass well, and that they’ve been totally unable to do that except against a wannabe NAIA program. I tend toward the more optimistic side. I think Michigan is a feeble paper giant this year, with an offensive coordinator that has shined in the past because he wasn’t actually calling shit. If Iowa can put together two unanswered scoring drives to start the game, Michigan probably never recovers. I hope our guys put together a great game plan. This is either the start of something special, or business as usual.

Good conclusion. We win this game, 10 wins are the floor. We drop it, we're probably 7-5, maybe 8-4.

I can't say this enough, this Iowa squad hasn't even had a sniff of a competent team this year. We would have probably lost to a terrible ISU team if they didn't F it up themselves. The secondary has been atrocious, and Michigan will be smelling blood in the water. If Parker can't figure out how to keep his guys behind post routes and how to make tackles across the middle, this game will get mucho ugly from the get go. If they somehow work it out, this one is winnable.

This is spot on. Michigan has superior athletes at the skill positions, and its not even close. They have a stable of excellent receivers, and I'm afraid of the mismatches it will create with our linebackers and defensive backs trying to cover them in space. On the other side of the ball, they will make Stanley and our receivers beat them. They won't let us run the ball. They will play man coverage and pressure Stanley as they have excellent edge rushers. People think our receivers are outstanding, but as you have said, we have played nobody yet. This game I'm afraid will show just how much we miss Hock and Fant.

Iowa has run the ball well / UM hasn’t stopped the run well

Iowa has stopped the run well / UM hasn’t run the ball effectively

Iowa has limited turnovers / UM has turned the ball over

If those trends continue you have to like where we sit. Secondary has to hold up as well.
We ran the ball well last week against a high school team basically. Other than that we haven't exactly rolled over the inferior competition we have played. Michigan will shut down the run, play man, pressure Stanley and make him beat them repeatedly. The game rests on his shoulders for our offense. Hopefully he is up to it.

They made a change after the Wisconsin game and brought him down on the field to make sure the proper personnel packages were getting in the game. Hopefully it was just because they played Rutgers, but Deace said their offense looked completely different after they did that. I think they were sleep walking at Wisconsin, much like tOSU did when we laid the beating on them in Kinnick. Michigan is a much better team than the one that played in Camp Randall.

Don Brown Thought Process:

No pressure on Stanley = Good Stanley
Pressure on Stanley = Bad Stanley

So far this year, Stanley has shown an ability to make plays with guys in his face. That being said, we haven't played a team that can bring pressure consistently. Michigan will be a test and they will bring LB, Corners, and Safeties to make Stanley uncomfortable. If our OL picks up blitzes like they have all year...we are going to move the chains...alot.

You have to give ISU credit defensively...and unlike Fryowa...I think ISU has a pulse on defense and is pretty good there. They had a great game plan...they brought their corners several times to disrupt Stanley. He didn't turn it over, but it bothered him and they got a few sacks and a grounding call. Michigan is going to be looking at that film closely.

In most of the cases against ISU, Stanley didn't see the corner blitz...but we need someone slipping to the flat where the blitz came from...that usually solves that.

They made a change after the Wisconsin game and brought him down on the field to make sure the proper personnel packages were getting in the game. Hopefully it was just because they played Rutgers, but Deace said their offense looked completely different after they did that. I think they were sleep walking at Wisconsin, much like tOSU did when we laid the beating on them in Kinnick. Michigan is a much better team than the one that played in Camp Randall.
Deace talking about Michigan... and Rutgers. Gotta take that with a grain of salt. Time will tell.

Michigan beat Rutgers without breaking a sweat. Sound familiar? Iowa could have scored the same if Kirk was that kind of coach. The question is how many of our defensive players may be back from injury. I see this as a low scoring affair with turnovers and field position of the most importance. Michigan has simply not looked like an elite team except against the aforementioned Rutgers team. I believe Iowa is not going to get blown out. Michigan has pretend swagger this year, Iowa's players have it. Iowa might not win but they're not afraid of this challenge.

Latest posts