Keys: Michigan Game

Don Brown Thought Process:

No pressure on Stanley = Good Stanley
Pressure on Stanley = Bad Stanley

So far this year, Stanley has shown an ability to make plays with guys in his face. That being said, we haven't played a team that can bring pressure consistently. Michigan will be a test and they will bring LB, Corners, and Safeties to make Stanley uncomfortable. If our OL picks up blitzes like they have all year...we are going to move the chains...alot.

You have to give ISU credit defensively...and unlike Fryowa...I think ISU has a pulse on defense and is pretty good there. They had a great game plan...they brought their corners several times to disrupt Stanley. He didn't turn it over, but it bothered him and they got a few sacks and a grounding call. Michigan is going to be looking at that film closely.

In most of the cases against ISU, Stanley didn't see the corner blitz...but we need someone slipping to the flat where the blitz came from...that usually solves that.

I would pull out every quick slant to ISM, and every screen to mekhi and every swing pass to Goodson they have in the playbook and run them over and over again.

The key to winning on the road at the Big House has to start with the defense. A good push up front and some decent play from the DBs and we stand a chance. Offense needs to grind clock with a lead and don't turn it over. I think we hit a big play somewhere and hang on for close win. Go Hawk.

Long sustained drives are the key on the road for Iowa and really any game against a decent team. I

Having a mediocre pass rush along with pile of injuries in the defensive backfield is going to be the primary concern for this year's team. Understandably so far, the emphasis has been placed on getting these guys experience at playing the base defense. That's good preparation over the long run and against lesser teams, but isn't going to cut it against the likes of Michigan and Penn State.

In the MTSU game they would occasionally substitute VanValkenberg on the right and flip Epenesa to the left side. It would be nice if they could flip Epenesa and Golston to foil some of the double teams, but I doubt if either defensive end has even seen much practice on the other side.

The pass rush package looked like musical chairs at times out there. I had to wonder if the defensive line actually confused the opposing offensive line or themselves more by doing that.

Than there is Iowa's approach to blitzing. It's just that they don't do it much, but they don't seem to emphasize practicing blitzing until the defense is fairly proficient at playing base. The results are that they aren't particularly proficient at blitzing when they do it.

What remains to be seen is how well the Michigan offense exploits the problems on Iowa's defense.

Having a mediocre pass rush along with pile of injuries in the defensive backfield is going to be the primary concern for this year's team. Understandably so far, the emphasis has been placed on getting these guys experience at playing the base defense. That's good preparation over the long run and against lesser teams, but isn't going to cut it against the likes of Michigan and Penn State.

In the MTSU game they would occasionally substitute VanValkenberg on the right and flip Epenesa to the left side. It would be nice if they could flip Epenesa and Golston to foil some of the double teams, but I doubt if either defensive end has even seen much practice on the other side.

The pass rush package looked like musical chairs at times out there. I had to wonder if the defensive line actually confused the opposing offensive line or themselves more by doing that.

Than there is Iowa's approach to blitzing. It's just that they don't do it much, but they don't seem to emphasize practicing blitzing until the defense is fairly proficient at playing base. The results are that they aren't particularly proficient at blitzing when they do it.

What remains to be seen is how well the Michigan offense exploits the problems on Iowa's defense.

We blitzed on 75% of ISUs plays in the 4th Q, which is what slowed them down and forced Purdy to rush his throws. I think we're pretty capable when we need to be in that regard.

We blitzed on 75% of ISUs plays in the 4th Q, which is what slowed them down and forced Purdy to rush his throws. I think we're pretty capable when we need to be in that regard.

Maybe that ends up being the answer to the excessive attention AJE is getting?

They have tried to free him up with DL games (stunts/twists), but teams seem to be looking for that more. Without A. Nelson out there, we don't have that one other guy who can just dominate single coverage. So maybe they start taking advantage by sending delayed blitzes once the extra-blocker commits to helping on AJE. Will be interesting to see how much that comes up vs. Mich.

Look at this from Michigan's point. They don't have a running game to speak of. That means they need Shea Patterson to step up. The last time they faced a good defense was the debacle in Madison. With no running game Shea Patterson needs to go to the air.

Michigan needs to get their passing game going.

On defense, Michigan faces an experienced QB with a lot of weapons. Stanley has a running game, multiple receivers and an excellent offensive line. They will have to stack the box and blitz. This may be a mixed bag of results. Against an experienced QB they need to show different looks. They will need to take chances.

They need to be aggressive on defense.

After I read the early posts on this thread from “Team Caddy” , I sold my ticket to the Michigan game for $1. And, obviously, if we lose this game, I will put my season tickets up for sale. Stay tuned.

My Grandpa said, “one snowflake don’t make a blizzard.”

This is a game where we don't have to sell out to stop a good running game. Michigan couldn't even get above 4 ypc against Rutgers and have struggled to run the ball all year. This is a game where I'd commit 6 guys to the run game (front 4 and 2 backers) and have the other 5 blanket the field in zone coverage to ball hawk the passing game and spy for Shea taking off.

I'll probably be way off on this, but this feels like a 31-14 Iowa win where we convert 3 turnovers (2 ints and a fumble) into 17 points.

I think AJ, Dixion, Amani and Golston are going to hammer Patterson.
Send in a blitzing backer or corner every now and again and Michigan is going to turn the ball over.
As for offense. I still think this is Brian's game. I think he could call the annexation of Puerto Rico or whatever he wants and it's going to work. This game screams that everything he learned in New England pays huge.

Last edited:
read this on a Michigan forum

Someone said on Mgoblog that Shea hurt his oblique in his first possession of his first game and posited that is why our RPOs almost never result in him running and that defenses quickly figured that out. FWIW. I feel like we are (should be) the underdog on Saturday.

Someone said on Mgoblog that Shea hurt his oblique in his first possession of his first game and posited that is why our RPOs almost never result in him running and that defenses quickly figured that out. FWIW. I feel like we are (should be) the underdog on Saturday.
Anybody buying his last statement?

Patterson might be close to 100% by now with the oblique but he still won't want to take much contact with that type of injury. I think he also had his shoulder banged up a bit against Wiscy. Another factor is that backup QB Dylan McCaffrey is still going to be out with a concussion suffered against Wisconsin. Their 3rd QB is Milton, a sophomore, who is more of a dual threat guy with little game experience. McKeon their TE is also ruled out for this week with a leg injury.

OK, I didn't get to see the second half of the Iowa State game and haven't watched it on youtube yet either. Missed the blitzing.

After I read the early posts on this thread from “Team Caddy” , I sold my ticket to the Michigan game for $1. And, obviously, if we lose this game, I will put my season tickets up for sale. Stay tuned.
I don't think I'd quit your day job to go on tour with Bill Burr.

Stick to your paper route and leave the stand up comedy to the professionals.

P.S. Your subtle little "I have season tickets" interjection didn't work. We all know can't afford to park at Finkbine, let alone go to a game.

I don't think I'd quit your day job to go on tour with Bill Burr.

Stick to your paper route and leave the stand up comedy to the professionals.

P.S. Your subtle little "I have season tickets" interjection didn't work. We all know can't afford to park at Finkbine, let alone go to a game.
Hey now, that’s a lot of shade you’re throwing at us Finkbiners :p

Latest posts