Keys: Michigan Game

There's one key to this game.One place to look for how this game will go. Only one. Everything else is a manipulation of that effort. Iowa's dline vs Michigan's oline. The reason their offense has looked pedestrian all year is because even against army, their oline was getting whooped. They have gotten whooped at the line of scrimmage. If we can do the same, our corners don't have to cover as long, and patterson doesn't have time to take advantage of really good wr's versus our 5th and 6th corners. If he's got all day cause we can't get home, it doesn't take a very good qb to find these guys open. Does patterson have time to find their studd wr's open? That's the whole game. We'll be starting harris and johnson in our nickel package, along with koerner. Do they have time to take advantage of those matchups? Isu didn't, rutgers didn't, etc...

I don't expect Iowa's defense to pressure Patterson anywhere near as well as Wisconsin. Not a lot of defenses bring that kind of pressure. I expect Michigans offensive line to be improved from the MTSU and Army games, but Iowa's pass rush should be improved from it's first three games as well. I kind of expect mixed results. Early in the game, if Iowa plays with the cornerbacks giving too much ground, they are potentially giving Patterson a chance to settle in.

How much clock Iowa's offense can take away from Michigan is also a crucial factor. Iowa's offense needs to stay on the field.

Interesting to see how few mentioned the OL as a concern pre-game. Even though our OL has been weak for years.

Interesting to see how few mentioned the OL as a concern pre-game. Even though our OL has been weak for years.
Our Oline didn’t play well, but in my opinion our play calling put them in a very tough spot.

When you abandon the running game and pass every play you’re giving the defense an opportunity to pin their ears back on every play and rush the passer. Play action doesn’t work when you’ve passed the ball on 80% of the plays in the second half. So the short of it is BF put our Oline in a very tough spot IMO.

Don Brown Thought Process:

No pressure on Stanley = Good Stanley
Pressure on Stanley = Bad Stanley

So far this year, Stanley has shown an ability to make plays with guys in his face. That being said, we haven't played a team that can bring pressure consistently. Michigan will be a test and they will bring LB, Corners, and Safeties to make Stanley uncomfortable. If our OL picks up blitzes like they have all year...we are going to move the chains...alot.

You have to give ISU credit defensively...and unlike Fryowa...I think ISU has a pulse on defense and is pretty good there. They had a great game plan...they brought their corners several times to disrupt Stanley. He didn't turn it over, but it bothered him and they got a few sacks and a grounding call. Michigan is going to be looking at that film closely.

In most of the cases against ISU, Stanley didn't see the corner blitz...but we need someone slipping to the flat where the blitz came from...that usually solves that.

I haven't seen the game yet as I as traveling yesterday...but from the 8 sacks in the stat sheet...it looks like Don Brown dialed up pressure to bring out Bad Stanley. I would have been happy if I was wrong...but you could see this coming from a mile away.

Question...should I watch the game? Or is it too depressing?

I haven't seen the game yet as I as traveling yesterday...but from the 8 sacks in the stat sheet...it looks like Don Brown dialed up pressure to bring out Bad Stanley. I would have been happy if I was wrong...but you could see this coming from a mile away.

watch it, pour yourself a nice tall glass of clorox.

It’s very frustrating. I think we win that game maybe 5 out of 10. We fumbled our 1st play on offense (for no good reason) and got down 10 - 0 early. We pretty much abandoned our run game and went empty backfields a lot which really played directly into Michigan’s strength.

Latest posts