Did Iowa Bumble Another Waiver Petition w/ Oliver?

Who says it wasn't filed earlier and then amended later and sent in again. Maybe there was an error, omission, or something else wrong with the paperwork that required an additional/re filing. There are some rumors going around that this is the case.

I'm going with what KFz said publicly regarding the submission date. If it was submitted earlier and there was an error/omission/etc that required it be amended...well, you've just described someone dropping the ball.

Drew Ott got royally screwed, but I don't see any reason OM should get a waiver other than the fact they've given them to a bunch of other guys who don't deserve them, either. Unless there's something we don't know.

Drew Ott got royally screwed, but I don't see any reason OM should get a waiver other than the fact they've given them to a bunch of other guys who don't deserve them, either. Unless there's something we don't know.

I agree...but they have given waivers, at least as far as I can tell, for the exact same circumstances. The NCAA set this ball in motion and let's hope they show consistency. I hate to think of the Ott situation frankly...the most upsetting thing...the guy deserved better. KF screwed the pooch on that one too, but the NCAA should have shown some balls there to say a student athlete was let down and is deserving of another year...and it would have only been 5 calendar years.

I'm still trying to figure out how a "lawyer" is of any use when dealing with the NCAA. Isn't the NCAA a private entity? There are no actual laws being broken no matter what happens. The NCAA's rules/regulations are the only statutes being enforced.

I see it as the equivalent of getting a lawyer to help me convince my boss to give me a raise.
Oh you sweet summer child.

There's a lot of people talking out their butts itt.

Oliver files the waiver request, not Iowa. After OM files the waiver request, NCAA sends out requests for paperwork to UM and Iowa. Unless you know the general rules of procedure in place, and the timing of when things happened in this case, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Is it possible Iowa was slow? Yes. But the fact that they sent in paperwork 2 weeks ago means nothing unless you know when they got the paperwork.

who knows where the delays are. How many parties are involved here? UM, UI, Martin and Martin's attorney and the NCAA. We're all left to guess where the delays took place.

Isn’t great to spend lots of time blaming somebody for something that has not even happened yet? The issue is simple: He either gets the waiver or not. All that matters. In the meantime, opinions are fine, but making up your own facts is not. Quite a few posts here cross that line.

Pretty confident Ferentz said like last week on video that they just got the paperwork this past week and turned it in (aka the university got the paperwork like 2 weeks ago and immediately turned it back in). Martin hired a lawyer who submitted his case. I know its popular on this Iowa Hawkeye fan site to trash the university and football team and coaches that give it its name, but based on what little evidence is in the public sphere it seems pretty ridiculous at this point to point fingers at the iowa coaching staff or the university right now. unless info changes to the contrary at a later date. I don't think Martin will get the waiver because.....well....were the hawks and we never seem to win these things, but blaming the staff right now when you know nothing is pretty ridiculous. Again, what is in the public sphere is Ferentz saying they had just gotten the paperwork during an interview last week, and that they turned it in.

who knows where the delays are. How many parties are involved here? UM, UI, Martin and Martin's attorney and the NCAA. We're all left to guess where the delays took place.

Speculation and conjecture

If he gets a waiver, and the attorneys took a couple extra weeks to prepare the paperwork I don’t see how it could been bumbled.

Now if he gets turned down and someone related to Gary Barta prepared the paperwork 2 months ago? That’s bumbled.

Last edited:
It would really give the offense a big boost if he gets it, however if he doesn’t the bright side is that he will be here a year longer which will strengthen the offense in his senior season. That also gives the other receivers another year to develop along side of him. Our receiving crew could be really special his senior year. The question is will there be a quarterback in the house at that point?

We all remember what a travesty the Drew Ott situation was. The guy burned a red shirt playing a hand full of snaps his freshmen year, then plays a few games (injured) his senior year. He applied for an extra year of eligibility, then was forced to sweat it out all the way until the NFL draft before finding out whether or not he would gain an extra season of eligibility. All the while, guys with lesser hardships were being granted waivers right and left.

On June 11th, we get huge news that Oliver Martin, a stud recruit at Iowa's perpetual position of weakness, is transferring to Iowa. He said he would seek a waiver for immediate eligibility. Many speculated that he could likely come in and see significant minutes right away. He also has a compelling case for a waiver...Mich lost both its WR coach and OC in 2018 and brought in new coaches and a new offense.

After two months of wondering whether Oliver would get eligibility, and watching player after player have their waivers granted, Martin sits in limbo with just 11 days until the season starts. Still no decision has been made by the NCAA? Is it the NCAA's fault? NOPE. Not this time. They are the easy scapegoat, but this one is not on them.

It turns out, the U of I sat on Oliver's waiver request until...early August! For 2 months, kids across the country were having their waivers awarded while Iowa's administrators (the same ones that "reassigned" then "fired" a lesbian coach with a successful record and lost a lawsuit over it) took the summer off.

We have self-imposed uncertainty at one of the most important positions on the field. If Martin does get the waiver, and I believe he ultimately will, what does that do to someone like Smith-Marsette, who has topped the depth all spring and fall, to suddenly lose the role days before kickoff? If Martin doesn't get the waiver, what does it do to the kid who's been practicing as if he's going to be on the field in 12 days only to have that ripped from him at the last second?

Either way, it's a boneheaded move by Iowa's incompetent compliance office from both a morale and personnel perspective.

We got the worst offense in the country!
We got nepotism up the wazoo!!
We got Fetus Head bumbling waivers!!!
Our pets’ heads are fallin’ off!!!!

It would really give the offense a big boost if he gets it, however if he doesn’t the bright side is that he will be here a year longer which will strengthen the offense in his senior season. That also gives the other receivers another year to develop along side of him. Our receiving crew could be really special his senior year. The question is will there be a quarterback in the house at that point?

That’s incorrect. He already used his redshirt. Whether he gets the waiver or not, he has two seasons to play after this one.

Unless they injected a family member with HIV and had to wait out the gestation period to get a positive test result, I can't fathom how in the hell it could possibly take more than 20 hours of work over the course a couple of weeks to "compile evidence" and fill out forms in a case like this.
What I know is that we were told the paperwork was just submitted a couple of weeks ago...despite Martin making his intentions known 2 months ago. (and he likely knew what he was going to do even earlier). I'm not privy to all the details of the process, but it's tough to imagine it taking 6+ weeks to put together a submission on something this simple...especially when you know you're on a timeline.
Everything--and I mean everything--instantly takes exponentially longer the minute attorneys get involved. Whether it's criminal cases, administrative, or civil cases, you can conservatively estimate it to take four or five times as long as it normally would have.

Could a lawyer get it done faster? Absolutely.

But they won't. Never have, never will.

Unless you're OJ paying Johnnie Cochran, this deal is going to take until the 11th hour.

Dont tell that to the OP. He is already convinced that Iowa and Iowa alone is pissing this down their leg and is prepared to use it against Kirk everytime our offense is too conservative and our passing game isn't explosive enough.

Better to prepare your case thoroughly, looking at case precedence and every other legal angle than to submit it in a hurry to placate the fan base. I'm sure we'll hear by the end of the week.

Latest posts