Frans Buyout

Hawkfnntn

Well much like KF due to his high buyout I think we can slam shut the Fire Fran posts because it isn't happening. If Iowa were to fire him before 7/1 they'd owe him 10.2 mill.... If they wait till after that it drops all the way down to a cool 9 million and drops a little every year after that. So I'm sure the media will have a roast fest over that..

You guys realize that pretty much every coach in The P5 has a similar deal and that he wasn't gonna get "bought out" this year irregardless.

Yep, pretty much this. Gary Barta has put his ultimate mark on his legacy of suck. There's no reason to talk about Iowa coaching for at least the next three years, regardless of how terrible it is. How the school president allows him to get away with stuff like this, I have no idea. But, well, if it doesn't get better next year the crater that is the Iowa basketball program will make Lickliter look like John Effing Wooden.

This actually pisses me off, and I'm generally on the side of giving Fran 2 more years to turn this around.

Iowa secretly extended Fran back in November through the 2023-24 and didn't announce it. It took an open records request to find out.

The only thing I can think of as to why Barta is still here, is that he is a master fund raiser. He must bring in hundreds of millions a year. There is no other reason I can think that he is still out AD.

Yep. Fran now has a $10.2M buyout. Iowa has committed to him for the next two full years AFTER this one, and maybe more. Zero discussions.

If you don't like it, don't donate money and don't buy tickets. That seems to be the only language that the University of Iowa understands.

these college head coaching contracts in football and hoops are so large that you really can't fire a coach anymore because the damn buyouts are astronomical!

Last edited:
If you don't like it, don't donate money and don't buy tickets. That seems to be the only language that the University of Iowa understands.[/QUOTE]

and you know the sports dept is hurting when they begin offering 50 cent hot dogs at b-ball games or student tickets are $1.00 to get people in the door.

This actually pisses me off, and I'm generally on the side of giving Fran 2 more years to turn this around.

Iowa secretly extended Fran back in November through the 2023-24 and didn't announce it. It took an open records request to find out.
You know it’s bad when there is no press release for something like this. There is no reason for something like this to be hush hush.

Latest posts