Frans Buyout

I would like to say that I have been swayed, it's a bad deal, not so much the extension, but the buy out. I gave my first knee jerk reaction which was, contracts in college sports are all ridiculous, so nothing shocks me. I also feel like Iowa has the $$ to get rid of Fran if they want to and feel like contracts get signed all the time and it doesn't get announced right away. Maybe I am wrong on that fact, but I really feel like that was more common. Either way - it's a bad look with how things are right now in the season. Had they announced it at the time, it would have raised eye brows, but not the stink this is causing. I get called a lot of things on here, but I am not unreasonable and I don't argue just to argue. You guys make great points and I wouldn't see that side of things without you.

This team makes the Sweet 16 within the next couple of years then Barta will look like a genius.

This team fails the next couple of years he'll look like a complete fool.

It all hinges on that.

You'd have to be a fool to not figure out he's already proven to be a fool. Apparently you missed the trial and rhabdo and how irrelevant the revenue programs are.

You'd have to be a fool to not figure out he's already proven to be a fool. Apparently you missed the trial and rhabdo and how irrelevant the revenue programs are.

He has been proven a fool, I never thought he'd survive the trial. Rhabdo is so long ago, that's like bringing up Kirk Ferentz's 2002 season in an argument for him being a good coach. Basketball is having a bad season, but they've been in some sort of post season in 6 of the last 7 years and the football team is 28-12 over the last 3 years. That's irrelevant - I will agree, but it's not gloom and doom either. It needs to be better. If getting rid of Barta is the answer - I am all for it.

BTW, this is Gary Barta's house:

IStgo68prc6xqw0000000000.jpg

IShfb66m20tdrw0000000000.jpg

IS1jnhkmsia8sw0000000000.jpg

ISletqei1g3ys01000000000.jpg

ISdc26ka7ry3411000000000.jpg

ISxjldvwl22t911000000000.jpg
Hah my home theater room is better than his!

He has been proven a fool, I never thought he'd survive the trial. Rhabdo is so long ago, that's like bringing up Kirk Ferentz's 2002 season in an argument for him being a good coach. Basketball is having a bad season, but they've been in some sort of post season in 6 of the last 7 years and the football team is 28-12 over the last 3 years. That's irrelevant - I will agree, but it's not gloom and doom either. It needs to be better. If getting rid of Barta is the answer - I am all for it.

You may have missed that the MSU and PSU issues started 20 years prior to things coming to a head.

It sounds like wins are more important. MSU is already fighting paying out on the girls who were abused 20 years ago. I guess that makes them irrelevant?

So what do you ask him and what sort of an answer do you expect to get? To me it's pointless unless Barta is there to be questioned as well. He may very well dance around it and speak like a politician about it too but he's who's to ask about it not Fran

As I stated before I 100% agree. It is just weird that you have this “controversy” hanging over the program and you have to pretend to care about the game itself. That’s all.

Did I also see that he gets an extra year if Iowa can make the tournament once over the next six seasons? Boy 1 in 6 years is definitely worthy of an extra season. Can we throw another couple million out there if we make another NIT. Shit why not its just money that I'm sure the ticket office will be raking in over the next few years while there packing 2k-5k pissed off fans a night to watch things unfold.

The U of I athletic department never ceases to amazes me.

Yes. You can see the level of expectations set via these contracts and it isn't very high. A whole 'nother year of pay for making the tournament once!? That's crazy!

It is weird that you don't want to be 18-3. Not surprising, just weird. You and your ilk have created a program in your own image: Corrupt AND losing. MSU is just corrupt.
Wait, are you really saying you would rather Iowa be in MSU's situation? You'd rather that they were dealing with a sexual abuse scandal...as long as the basketball team was winning?

And yes, I get that they're not directly related. But it really sounds like you'd trade winning in BB + sex scandal over losing in BB. This can't possibly be what you're trying to say.

Michigan State actually sued ESPN last year for requesting public records related to athletes' sexual assault cases. The case was thrown out and the judge ridiculed MSU for denying the FOIA- and if you think Iowa's lack of releasing Fran's new contract is in the same boat as MSU's lack of transparency over sexual assault investigations then instead of calling me out for being a homer who is blindly supporting the UofI - you might want see if you might be on the other end of the spectrum.

Last edited:
Michigan State actually sued ESPN last year for requesting public records related to athletes' sexual assault cases. The case was thrown out and the judge ridiculed MSU for denying the FIOA- and if you think Iowa's lack of releasing Fran's new contract is in the same boat as MSU's lack of transparency over sexual assault investigations then instead of calling me out for being a homer who is blindly supporting the UofI - you might want see if you might be on the other end of the spectrum.
We get it, you are Gary Barta.

We get it, you are Gary Barta.
nah man... someone said I was a little better then Gary Barter earlier. So, I will only accept that tag... a little better then Gary Barta moving forward. So... to be clear tho TK - you think the situations are similar as far how outraged the fans should be on how the schools were not being transparent with the FOIA?

nah man... someone said I was a little better then Gary Barter earlier. So, I will only accept that tag... a little better then Gary Barta moving forward. So... to be clear tho TK - you think the situations are similar as far how outraged the fans should be on how the schools were not being transparent with the FOIA?
Of course not, Gary.

Scott filed the FOIA a while back. The UI is not obligated to release the information right away to the requester. Aren't facts great?
They're not obligated to but they weren't asked to produce thousands of decade old records. They were being dicks to a journalist which adds to the sins in my book.

Nobody in the world of academia is held accountable anymore. NOBODY.
Doesn't matter if you're a professor or coach - - - if you work for a state school, you're in the club and will be well taken care of regardless of performance.
Hell, even if you somehow do get the axe, you walk away with 7-figure$ of 'Ain't it awful' to ease your woes.
Good grief.
...yet we continue to fund the madness.

Latest posts