Gavin Holmes Talks to HN About Decision to Decommit from Iowa

or a coach that doesn't live in the stone ages when it comes to recruiting and offensive philosophies. folks this was the kid that could have turned our passing game around next season. touchdown waiting to happen. If GH and BC all wind up at the same school as Eno, ferentz needs to be gone. Is this what $55 mil in new facilities and $40 mil new contract gets us?

Yeah, just like Willies, who decided to tear it up elsewhere.

<<If GH and BC all wind up at the same school as Eno, ferentz needs to be gone>>

Funny, my reaction would be, "Has anyone done any forensic accounting to account for this pattern?"

ND played in the title game 3 years ago and MSU was in the CFP last year and has had SUSTAINED success recently. Texas is making coaching change this year. I wish Iowa was more like these schools.

This board was mostly positive last year during the 12-0 run last year. When things are going poorly, then the board is negative.

ND just got penalized and has to forfeit all those wins. MSU is 3-8. Texas IS making a coaching change. Their second in three years.

Yeah, if only we could be like ALL three...

The only thing that will benefit Iowa here is a early signing period because the way Iowa recruits won't change as long as Kirk is here.

I think this kid sums it up perfectly. His honesty is refreshing.

Such Hypocrisy. KF really is a tiny, stubborn, petty, classless, insecure old man at times. And a LAZY recruiter.

So Deano, now that you have heard the frustration from an actual player, not to mention experts recently who have said this policy doesn't work anymore, especially at a school like Iowa, I would love to know your thoughts?

ND just got penalized and has to forfeit all those wins. MSU is 3-8. Texas IS making a coaching change. Their second in three years.

Yeah, if only we could be like ALL three...

Who cares about vacating wins honestly? MSU is having one down year. Texas is bad, but at least they're trying new things to get better.

Who cares about vacating wins honestly? MSU is having one down year. Texas is bad, but at least they're trying new things to get better.

<<Who cares about vacating wins honestly?>>
Evidently, ND, as they plan to appeal

<<MSU is having one down year>>
Exactly

<<Texas is bad, but at least they're trying new things to get better>>
How's that workin' out?

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....we're so fucked that we just came off an undefeated regular season and have a chance to finish tied for 1st in the B1G West with an offense that can barely get 100 yards passing per game. Just think if we could get 200?! :)

In all seriousness, there's a lot worse out there. We could be Notre Dame, Texas, Michigan State, UCLA, etc., etc. All a matter of perspective I guess. Not worth getting all lathered up about, though....
Tied for first??? Are you really that stupid? This is the Iowa mentality at its finest folks.

ND just vacated all wins from 2012 and 2013 also 4-7 this year and MSU has 1 conference win. My point is those are reasons to freak out but not w a team that can get to 9 wins. If the players read the mood on here they'd have packed it in after the Penn St game. I agree the offense has been bad but I think that there's more to the story about CJB and him not being healthy. Schools like Texas Tech put up tons of numbers but never win or do much. Which would you want?
Why does it have to be either lots of offense or none at all? Doesn't make sense. I'd settle for top 40 and with out D we'd have won the division weeks ago.

Yeah, just like Willies, who decided to tear it up elsewhere.

<<If GH and BC all wind up at the same school as Eno, ferentz needs to be gone>>

Funny, my reaction would be, "Has anyone done any forensic accounting to account for this pattern?"

Eno, BC and GH all have Utah offers and Eno and BC visited Utah last weekend. GH was just offered by ASU. Eno has an ASU offer, BC doesn't.

Teams in the top 25 that had equal to or higher recruiting rankings in 2013 (giving them time to be contributors on this year's teams):
Top 25 - Rivals Recruiting Ranking 2013 -School

23 - 51 - Washington State
22 - 43 - Utah
20 - 48 - Houston
18 - 26 - West Virginia
17 - 21 - TENNESSEE
16 - 17 - NEBRASKA
15 - 4 - FLORIDA
14 - 10 - FLORIDA STATE
13 - 9 - AUBURN
12 - 13 - USC
11 - 41 - LOUISVILLE
10 - 36 - OKLAHOMA STATE
8 - 15 - OKLAHOMA
7 - 42 - PENN STATE (UNDER NCAA SCHOLARSHIP SANCTIONS? AND STILL BETTER? PLEASE TELL ME THIS WAS BEFORE THAT)
5 - 18 - WASHINGTON
4 - 14 - CLEMSON
3 - 5 - MICHIGAN
2 - 2 - OHIO STATE
1 - 1 - ALABAMA

19 / 25 top 25 teams had recruiting rankings higher than Iowa. I can look up the numbers for how points scored correlates to number of wins as well, if you'd like. Recruiting rankings correlate to wins and CFP rankings, period.

They don't matter if you don't care about measurable performance, of course, measurable performance is kind of what sports are all about.

You know what, do the job the state of Iowa pays you to do - recruiting quality players is part of that job. If you don't like it, quit.

Here's my source - https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2013

Why does it have to be either lots of offense or none at all? Doesn't make sense. I'd settle for top 40 and with out D we'd have won the division weeks ago.

Boom. Nailed it. Nobody expects to be the next Bama. But there is no reason to put something that pathetic on the field. 121/128?

<<Who cares about vacating wins honestly?>>
Evidently, ND, as they plan to appeal

<<MSU is having one down year>>
Exactly

<<Texas is bad, but at least they're trying new things to get better>>
How's that workin' out?

I can tell you missed Brian Kelly's pressers where he said they don't care about vacating wins.

MSU is having a down year after many years of national relevance. Not just one fluke year.

Texas is firing their staff because they boosters and fans don't settle for mediocrity.

But they were establishing a Texas pipeline this year. Now that is almost gone. 3 stars from the Dakotas aren't quite as important to the program as 3 stars from Texas.

This may be true. if it is, it would prove the star ratings are pretty irrelevant though

People that care about this team aren't real happy watching all the talent walk away. You shouldn't be either.

Iowa's recruiting 2017 recruiting class is now 10th in the Big 10, 41st overall according to 247sports.com.

Teams ahead of Iowa:
Iowa State, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Kentucky, Oregon State.

This is coming off a 12 win season. Staff should be ashamed.
Second school he's walked away from this year.

Iowa is stodgy and unattractive to more and more young men. And of course I blame all of you for your part in this.

That's odd. GH gave a bunch of reasons why he decided to decommit. I must have missed the part about him leaving because fans are venting their frustrations on a message board.

I think this kid sums it up perfectly. His honesty is refreshing.

Such Hypocrisy. KF really is a tiny, stubborn, petty, classless, insecure old man at times. And a LAZY recruiter.

So Deano, now that you have heard the frustration from an actual player, not to mention experts recently who have said this policy doesn't work anymore, especially at a school like Iowa, I would love to know your thoughts?

It is the same as it was two weeks ago. Holmes has been in the pipeline to cut ties for a little bit. There is a reason he was at OU with Eno a couple weeks ago when Iowa was beating Iowa. Rob knew this was coming, the staff knew this was coming with Holmes.

Listen you don't have to believe me, just ask Rob, there is more to this story, and I don't think the coaches are all to blame like some here think. There are just too many rumors out there to know which ones are true and which ones are full of shit, so I'm not going to start spouting them on here, I will also say that since there are so many rumors out there, that where there is smoke there is fire. Much like I posted on this board a few weeks before any Eno stuff blew up, there was some smoke there, and some bad signals there, and per usual, where there was smoke there was fire about Eno being gone.

I will say that if both sides of this story was known it wouldn't surprise me that it wouldn't change the minds at all of those who have a negative spin on the program. Others would look at it and say, well I guess I get it, both sides seem to need blame, and others would look at it and say the coaches were right in cutting ties with Eno.

My personal opinion is this isn't much of a loss with Eno. I think it sucks we lost out on 2 very good WR though, which stinks, it is a position of need, and a position we don't recruit well.

Latest posts