Best of the Decade: Offensive Player (VOTE!)

Best Offensive Player of the Decade

• Drew Tate

Votes: 68 25.7%
  • Brad Banks

Votes: 55 20.8%
  • Nate Kaeding

Votes: 33 12.5%
  • Robert Gallery

Votes: 31 11.7%
  • Shonn Greene

Votes: 78 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hard to discount a guy who finished 2nd in the heisman - he was GREAT. Without his leadership that team would have lost 4 games instead of 2 imo

Strongly disagree. The guy couldn't beat out Kyle McCann the year before. You guys won because of many reasons. Banks is one of them but not THE reason.

Like I've said he had one of the best OL in college football history blocking for him. That gave him all day to throw the football. That also gave him a great running game. That great running game gave him a very effective play action pass. With that play action pass he had very good WR's to throw to and the Best TE in Iowa history as well. Then you throw in the fact that the Big 10 was horrible that year and he didn't play anybody that was any good and you can see why he got as much pub as he did.

Banks wasn't even one of the top 3 players on that offense that season

I wouldnt say Banks is the most overrated ever. But I would say that he certainly was not hurt by the talent around him...and many players that win national awards have good talent around them.

There are also a lot of talented players that don't have talent around them. I think this is where....nevermind.

Strongly disagree. The guy couldn't beat out Kyle McCann the year before. You guys won because of many reasons. Banks is one of them but not THE reason.

Like I've said he had one of the best OL in college football history blocking for him. That gave him all day to throw the football. That also gave him a great running game. That great running game gave him a very effective play action pass. With that play action pass he had very good WR's to throw to and the Best TE in Iowa history as well. Then you throw in the fact that the Big 10 was horrible that year and he didn't play anybody that was any good and you can see why he got as much pub as he did.

Banks wasn't even one of the top 3 players on that offense that season

It isnt Banks' fault that KF is the most loyal guy in the world and didnt give him the keys his junior season when he was clearly better than Mccann. Banks did so much for that team it was incredible.

Most great QB's had a great supporting cast....which helps the QB but the QB also makes those around him better. It isnt one or the other. Is Joe Montana overrated because he had John Taylor, Jerry Rice, Brent Jones and Roger Craig? Your logic that Banks wasnt very good because he was on a good team makes no sense to me.

I went with Gallery, he was real dominant for a longer period of time, a game changer and anchor of the offense. Banks and Greene were really one year wonders. Tate peaked early and couldn't top that early form. Nate, he's a kicker...the greatest kicker, but a kicker. It was hard though, I don't follow some of my logic myself. Banks was the heisman runner-up for gosh sakes! Greene is Iowa's only Doak Walker Award winner! This list shows me how spoiled us IOWA fans were the past decade.

It's Great To Be A Hawkeye!

Banks, because he was the signal caller for the most exciting Iowa team in history. Drew Tate COULD NOT have pulled off that final drive against Purdue. Banks was pure magic.

My god, where is the love for BB? He threw so few interceptions and was absolutely lethal as a scrambler. Drew Tate? Great season in '04 but I remember him most for the trainwreck in 2006.

I wouldnt say Banks is the most overrated ever. But I would say that he certainly was not hurt by the talent around him...and many players that win national awards have good talent around them.

There are also a lot of talented players that don't have talent around them. I think this is where....nevermind.

It isnt Banks' fault that KF is the most loyal guy in the world and didnt give him the keys his junior season when he was clearly better than Mccann. Banks did so much for that team it was incredible.

Most great QB's had a great supporting cast....which helps the QB but the QB also makes those around him better. It isnt one or the other. Is Joe Montana overrated because he had John Taylor, Jerry Rice, Brent Jones and Roger Craig? Your logic that Banks wasnt very good because he was on a good team makes no sense to me.

Please point out where I said that Banks WASNT VERY GOOD. Didn't say it. I said he was good but also overrated. It was a good player made to look great but the best supporting cast in Hawkeye history.

If Banks is such a talented and great player, please tell me what he is doing right now...........

Tate over Brad Banks any day of the week. And I hate Drew Tate. That guy was such a tool

But he QB'd a team that was down to their 5th string RB. He never had the line that Banks had. He never had the TE. He never had the team. But he led Iowa to some really good seasons

Don't judge a person's talent based on where they are at right now. I was spelling at a 5th grade level in 2nd grade...possible the greatest grade leap of all time in my elementary school. Today...I've been relegated to posting on internet message boards with questionable spelling at best.

I voted Tate. Banks and Greene had stellar seasons, but one season doesn't trump a career.

If it weren't for horrific receivers (grigsby I'm looking directly at you) this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Tate wasn't known as the greatest teammate and his temper did him no favors but I think I'd have wanted to strangle a few of those guys myself if I were in his shoes.

I'm not voting, Dallas Clark is my pick.

Agree with eykwah.......Dallas Clark's offensive performance against Purdue, at Kinnick is simply legendary.

My vote goes like this:

1) Dallas Clark
2) Nate Kaeding
3) Shonn Greene
4) DJK........Kooooleeeeahhhnos! Look at the clutch catches he has had over the past 2 years.......and the TD return at Ohio.
5) Drew Tate & Ed Hinkel :D

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but what a group to pick from.

Drew Tate (my vote, even though it doesn't look good compared to these other guys
Groza Award Winner
Outland Award Winner
Maxwell Award Winner
Doak Walker award winner

Plus a Mackey Award winner not even on the top 5.

Can't be all too many teams that can say that for a decade outside of the best of the best.

Latest posts