USA Today article cover Ferentz contract extensively!

This is the second time a publication with no connection to Iowa, the university, or the program has written a story about how bad Kirk's contract(s) is/are (Forbes being the other instance).

No pissing and moaning on a message board won't make a difference but not complaining at all means nothing changes. There needs to be some pressure on this administration to do something. Kirk is likely untouchable but there's ample evidence that Davis is not performing. If no displeasure is voiced, what reason would there be for change? In management books they always tell you that in 99% of cases people want to do well. If they're doing something wrong, its really most likely that they don't know it. You need to tell them in a constructive manner. Fans are the feedback mechanism for an athletic program. When something is wrong, we need to say something. That's all.

Common sense on display. Consumers should always give feedback on a defective product. They can choose not to buy it. They can boo. They can hold up signs. They can fly banners over stadiums. They can write letters or send e-mails. They can take out ads. They can post on message boards or twitter.

This notion that sports is the one industry where being a good consumer is encouraging a bad product to not improve is just silly. Fans of anything (from cars to comic books) want the object of their fandom to get better. Did you know that Marvel made TWO Captain America movies before the current incarnation? (1979 & 1990) Both movies super-sucked. But they finally got it right with lots of feedback from fans and a willingness to think in a different way.

I don't like the contract - but what can I do about it? Piss and moan and make a d*ck out of myself on a message board and sound like a Husker fan? This is America buddy - get yours - I can't fault anyone for getting paid. Ferentz has been very good for Iowa, and it's worked out fairly well for both parties. Ferentz was a god last season - a bum this year (at 5-3), and I get that people are frustrated and I think he deserves the criticism... i just ask for a little more transparency from fans

Nope. Can't fault a greedy man for getting even greedier, possibly at the expense of the school that made him a rich man. Tell me again who the d**k is in this situation? The buy out clause negotiated by Ferentz is insane and only a fool (Barta) would go for it. Ferentz has illustrated by this action that he comes first, not the program.

I agree and I am disappointed and amazed with the long extension KF was recently given, along with its lack of incentives.

That being said, I wonder why KF would not throw caution to the wind and take more chances? He IS secure for almost 10 more years, so why not try new things and see what happens? Conservatism is one thing, but this contract gives him zero reasons to be conservative.

A loss because of an ill advised aggressive decision would hurt him no more than a loss because of an ultra conservative field goal from the twenty when a touchdown is needed.

A loss is a loss, and KF still gets paid. Why not go for broke and possibly rack up a few more wins along the way?
You can't ask a turtle to be a frog . It's who he is.

People adapt and change due to outside influence. Last year we saw that. Ferentz had a great financial incentive to adapt and change, but it wasn't long enough to actually change his makeup. Now he has no financial incentive to change so why would he not just stay comfortable.

Last edited:
Well.... unlike Notre Dame and Oregon and Texas, Iowa has at least turned around its defense this year.

No small feat.

Not sure if the O is going to continue a turn around. Wisky isn't necessarily a good indicator there. I think Iowa will continue to improve.

So you're saying you're a sore loser?

I know you can troll better....
ZXPIjDg.gif

Latest posts