USA Today article cover Ferentz contract extensively!

For you TL;DR people, here's a summary:

Iowa is run by idiots and no sane human being on the face of the earth would have given Ferentz a contract like this. Except maybe Kansas.

From USA Today. A newspaper that in it's entire history has never endorsed a Presidential candidate until this year (true story).

On a warm, sunny day last month at the University of Iowa, head football coach Kirk Ferentz wore a white shirt and gold-striped tie to a special announcement about his future. He had just signed the deal of a lifetime — the biggest contract of his life, with enough guarantees to make him a rich man well into his retirement, win or lose.

The new contract included several generous provisions:

► Even if he’s fired after this season for not winning enough games, the 61-year-old Ferentz would be owed more than $25 million, payable in monthly installments until 2026.

► He’s guaranteed an additional $22 million from 2021 through 2025 if he sticks around and wins at least seven games each season through 2020. It wouldn’t matter if he’s dismissed in 2021 after finishing 0-12.

► If that’s not enough, those guarantees wouldn’t even be reduced if Iowa fired him and he took a lucrative new job somewhere else.

“I certainly appreciate the trust and confidence demonstrated by athletic director Gary Barta,” said Ferentz, who also thanked Iowa president Bruce Harreld.

After reading this it is apparent the contract is basically daring him to coach as if he is already retired.​

This is simply a sign of the times. Somewhere something occurred that was below eye level. There is no other reason for it.

I learned about HIllary's email when you did: Obama

I didn't have sex with that woman: Bill

I set my emails up according to rules and regulations - Hillary

It was just male locker room talk - Donald

“I certainly appreciate the trust and confidence demonstrated by athletic director Gary Barta,” - KF

“A great contract moving forward,” Barta

Will the Iowa Governor stand up? This just smells.

So you think it's a good contract. Glad you're on record.

I think it's the nature of the business - KF is more than likely the best coach Iowa has had in school history and went 12-2 last season and was NCOY. Iowa is 5-3 and 3-2 in conference - chill - this fan base and message board is borderline pathetic, it's embarrassing. Spare me the trollercoaster about accepting mediocre football and go hang out with Husker fans cause that's what ya'll sound like.

I think it's the nature of the business - KF is more than likely the best coach Iowa has had in school history and went 12-2 last season and was NCOY. Iowa is 5-3 and 3-2 in conference - chill - this fan base and message board is borderline pathetic, it's embarrassing. Spare me the trollercoaster about accepting mediocre football and go hang out with Husker fans cause that's what ya'll sound like.

You never answered the question. So you think it's a good contract?

I understand what you are saying, but 6-6 is mediocre with this schedule and the amount of starters returning from a 12-0 team. It's also brutal watch this offense try to pass the ball. The coaching decisions seemed to have gone back to 2014, not the more aggressive 2015 version that we saw on occasion last year. That's why people are frustrated.

EVERYONE PANIC! EVERYONE PILE ON! IOWA'S THE WORST & GETTING BETTER IS NOT AN OPTION

I don't think anyone is saying that. Rather in order for things to get better, changes must be made, and based on recent history it appears we're reverting back to what made us mediocre with some good seasons here and there in the first place.

I'll be the first to admit that I was a huge KF guy and agree that he may be the best coach in school history. What infuriates me is that this program has branded itself as a a program that could beat anyone or lose to anyone but will almost always find themselves in a tight game that could very easily come down to the last possession. I by no means have better knowledge of football then KF, but at the same time I see us being a few tweaks in philosophy / mentality / player management / recruiting etc. from being a great program.

It kills me because I don't want to accept mediocrity and when we finally turn the corner and one of those miniscule changes are made it may work successfully 9 times but when it fails that 10th time we revert back to where we were before and never see it again.

I truly believe that the only thing holding back this program is stubbornness and while I'll never give up on him (although I'd like to) or this program it drives me nuts knowing that those little baby steps may never be made to get us over the top. I want to believe that we were that damn good last year and it wasn't a product of a weak schedule. Call me greedy but I want reasons to feel optimistic about the program I'm passionate about, and want to continue to build off last years success rather than watch us spiral back to where we came from.

I'll be the first to admit that I was a huge KF guy and agree that he may be the best coach in school history.

You can't be serious. No coach considered great would have taken such a selfish contract with such mediocrity is the last 7 years. Great should be defined as more than just a few top 10 finishes. Character matters. There is nothing showing his integrity in this contract. It smells.

i don't think Ferentz is a bad guy, but he coaches based on his personal comfort level. I think his fatcat statement was an indicator into his mindset. I don't even think he knows he does it, but he does. To write a contract that does nothing to incentivize performance and instead does the opposite is silly. It is a natural reaction for a conservative person to not take chances when they feel secure and Barta gave him the ultimate security blanket.

Can anyone name one other AD that has had multiple major publications write about how ridiculous a contract was even once, let alone a 2nd time?

i don't think Ferentz is a bad guy, but he coaches based on his personal comfort level. I think his fatcat statement was an indicator into his mindset. I don't even think he knows he does it, but he does. To write a contract that does nothing to incentivize performance and instead does the opposite is silly. It is a natural reaction for a conservative person to not take chances when they feel secure and Barta gave him the ultimate security blanket.

Why do so many think he's such an upstanding guy. That contract is just plain wrong and selfish. Yes it was given to him, but it doesn't change things. We could go on about other things, but the contract alone is just plain wrong. It smells of corruption. There is no other rational reason. Even if not corrupt it is minimally selfish and could harm the program.

Sort of reminds me of the rumors about Evy as AD wanting to be the last hero coach.

I understand what you are saying, but 6-6 is mediocre with this schedule and the amount of starters returning from a 12-0 team. It's also brutal watch this offense try to pass the ball. The coaching decisions seemed to have gone back to 2014, not the more aggressive 2015 version that we saw on occasion last year. That's why people are frustrated.

The source of the frustration is twofold IMO. First, where was the need for the new contract? No employer that Kirk wants to work for was going to outbid the existing contract. The second source of frustration is listening to Kirstians say, "Ya need this type of stability or ya can't reel in kids like Eno/Chevin." (guilty as charged btw) Well, we now can see the problem with THAT logic.

Reactions: DJL
I'm glad the Kirk groupies arrived early to downplay the significance of the horrible contract. That's Iowa!

I don't like the contract - but what can I do about it? Piss and moan and make a d*ck out of myself on a message board and sound like a Husker fan? This is America buddy - get yours - I can't fault anyone for getting paid. Ferentz has been very good for Iowa, and it's worked out fairly well for both parties. Ferentz was a god last season - a bum this year (at 5-3), and I get that people are frustrated and I think he deserves the criticism... i just ask for a little more transparency from fans

I agree and I am disappointed and amazed with the long extension KF was recently given, along with its lack of incentives.

That being said, I wonder why KF would not throw caution to the wind and take more chances? He IS secure for almost 10 more years, so why not try new things and see what happens? Conservatism is one thing, but this contract gives him zero reasons to be conservative.

A loss because of an ill advised aggressive decision would hurt him no more than a loss because of an ultra conservative field goal from the twenty when a touchdown is needed.

A loss is a loss, and KF still gets paid. Why not go for broke and possibly rack up a few more wins along the way?

This is the second time a publication with no connection to Iowa, the university, or the program has written a story about how bad Kirk's contract(s) is/are (Forbes being the other instance).

No pissing and moaning on a message board won't make a difference but not complaining at all means nothing changes. There needs to be some pressure on this administration to do something. Kirk is likely untouchable but there's ample evidence that Davis is not performing. If no displeasure is voiced, what reason would there be for change? In management books they always tell you that in 99% of cases people want to do well. If they're doing something wrong, its really most likely that they don't know it. You need to tell them in a constructive manner. Fans are the feedback mechanism for an athletic program. When something is wrong, we need to say something. That's all.