SIAP: Ulis Decision Friday Night, 7:20 p.m.

The sure point that it was down to MSU, Kentucky, and Iowa is relevant. As far as being back you can move past that Fran is going to set a new bar for what being back means.

This is a great post. Look at the big picture everyone. Just a few years ago we would never even be mentioned with the likes of MSU and Kentucky. Fran may have lost this battle, but he is winning the war! Go Hawks! I bet we are all looking forward to the basketball season a whole lot more then we were a few years ago.

Not good news here:

"Ulis tells @IowaElites: "Me and Devin (Booker) have been talking about playing with each other for a while now. And hopefully that happens."

-Ben Roberts @NextCats

Booker is a top-30 SG recruit that Kentucky is going hard after. He hasn't been considering Iowa at all.
OR, you could look at it this way: If Ulis picks the Hawks, the allure of playing alongside Ulis might persuade Booker to consider Fran's program!

I agree that the program isn't going to be set back by 3-4 years or anything that dramatic. But let's be real here; Ulis is WAY better than Guerrero. His offers were OK St, Iowa, Oklahoma, Miami and Oregon State. Ulis was getting heavily recruiting by MSU and Kentucky.

I agree that Ulis is better than Guerrero. The simple fact MSU and UK jumped in on him says enough. How much better remains to be seen. I don't think he's a multi-year starter at UK. Calipari will keep targeting the top PGs in the nation and chances are he'll keep landing some of them. If Ulis is indeed going to Kentucky iI think there's a chance he ends up being an afterthought like Guerrero has become.

I was just trying to make a point that people can be way to dramatic after they get their hopes up, and in the end up having their hopes crushed. Fran has time to try and find other players. I'm confident in his ability to make it work. One recruit choosing the top basketball school in the country over Iowa certainly doesn't shake my confidence in the future of the basketball program under Fran's watch. In fact, I would argue Ulis would receive better coaching at Iowa. Calipari is a damn good coach but he also has the top talent in the country to work with. Fran would ride Ulis into becoming a damn good player.

Everyone seems to define "being back" differently. After being pretty much as low as a D1 team in the B1G can get and being where they are now (pre season ranked) That alone doesn't quite do it. But being in recruiting battles with the MSU and KYs of the world sure helps that cause. If Iowa goes on to have a good year this year getting to the big dance winning a game or two or heck why stop there maybe getting to the elite 8. Then I would hope the debate on being back or not would be over. But coming into the year I would say they are more then on their way to it then not. But they'll have to do better then the NIT for me to say they are "back" and I fully think this team will. But that's just me.

You can't blame Ulis if he chooses Kentucky. But, I think it is a little naive on his part to choose a school just to play with his buddy. You have to look beyond that. It seems Ulis may have been swayed by his buddy and the bright lights of Kentucky basketball, when he most likely would have had a much more fulfilling career at Iowa. I would still love to have him!

I think I know what changed his mind to play for Kentucky, and it wasn't to play with his buddies. It was to spend more time with the founding fathers...

make-it-rain.gif

I think I know what changed his mind to play for Kentucky, and it wasn't to play with his buddies. It was to spend more time with the founding fathers...

make-it-rain.gif

LOL Yes a school that didn't even offer him until he put them in his final four, obviously needs to pay him. Ullis was the one begging Kentucky for an offer, not the other way around.

LOL Yes a school that didn't even offer him until he put them in his final four, obviously needs to pay him. Ullis was the one begging Kentucky for an offer, not the other way around.
He was begging Kentucky for an offer because Iowa doesn't pay as well.

I wonder how much he'll make next year when they bring in a top 10 PG and Tyler has a mysterious "knee injury" that forces him to lose his scholarship and transfer.

Did I miss something? Has he already leaked it out that he's going to KY then? Last I heard he was announcing tonight. Sure is alot of negativity going on if he hasn't made the announcement yet.

Did I miss something? Has he already leaked it out that he's going to KY then? Last I heard he was announcing tonight. Sure is alot of negativity going on if he hasn't made the announcement yet.

There are a ton of leaked reports indicating that he will pick Kentucky. Couple that with his comments in an interview last night about how he is hopeful he will play with SG Devin Booker, a 4-star from Mississippi who is a strong Kentucky lean but not considering Iowa, and it seems all but over in favor of the Wildcats.

There are a ton of leaked reports indicating that he will pick Kentucky. Couple that with his comments in an interview last night about how he is hopeful he will play with SG Devin Booker, a 4-star from Mississippi who is a strong Kentucky lean but not considering Iowa, and it seems all but over in favor of the Wildcats.
Damn...

The kid looked good, but there are other kids all over the country. Fran has a good eye for talent. He will find a better baller!

He was begging Kentucky for an offer because Iowa doesn't pay as well.

I wonder how much he'll make next year when they bring in a top 10 PG and Tyler has a mysterious "knee injury" that forces him to lose his scholarship and transfer.

At least with the Pierschbacher/character issue argument, you had some sort of ground to stand on. But this is pure speculation on your part.

The kid looked good, but there are other kids all over the country. Fran has a good eye for talent. He will find a better baller!

Not likely. He'll find good players, but top 30 recruits don't just grow on trees. And Ulis is the only one Fran has been in on thus far. So finding someone better isn't likely to happen, at least not in this class.

Not likely. He'll find good players, but top 30 recruits don't just grow on trees. And Ulis is the only one Fran has been in on thus far. So finding someone better isn't likely to happen, at least not in this class.

Just because a kid is ranked in the top 30 dosent always mean they pan out. There always guys out there that are not that highly touted that end up being better than guys ranked towards the top.

Just because a kid is ranked in the top 30 dosent always mean they pan out. There always guys out there that are not that highly touted that end up being better than guys ranked towards the top.

Busts in college basketball recruiting are WAY more rare than are football recruiting busts. If a kid is in the top 30, it's pretty unlikely that they won't be pretty damn good. White is an example of the gems Fran can and has found. He's a good player, but he probably wouldn't be top 30 in his class if we went back and did the rankings over again.

Again, I'm sure Fran will find other good players. But it's not likely that he's going to find someone as good as Ulis. Not in this class.

At least with the Pierschbacher/character issue argument, you had some sort of ground to stand on. But this is pure speculation on your part.
Speculation? I have a decade of dirt showing how the Squid operates. He's a sleaze and a cheat, and there is little doubt that he was a sleazy cheat luring this kid in, and he wouldn't hesitate to cut him loose at the first sign of something better.

Fran is a guy who does it the right way. The only thing about this Ulis situation I am disappointed in is that Fran put so much energy into the kind of low character player who would want to play for Squid in the first place.

Speculation? I have a decade of dirt showing how the Squid operates. He's a sleaze and a cheat, and there is little doubt that he was a sleazy cheat luring this kid in, and he wouldn't hesitate to cut him loose at the first sign of something better.

Fran is a guy who does it the right way. The only thing about this Ulis situation I am disappointed in is that Fran put so much energy into the kind of low character player who would want to play for Squid in the first place.

Link? Calipari has never been penalized by the NCAA once.

Latest posts