Zach Sterup to Nebby

Looks like they've got quite the OL signed...at least on paper.

Paper is the key word. I dont know what your guys experience is, but it seems more often than not these kids change their minds once a week. But by the looks of the way this class is shaping up that O-line could add a little pep to our step as we come into the Big10.

I think nebby will find out in two/three seasons if that good oline is as good as they experts say. Remember our great class turned out to be a 6-6 and well we all know the story.

I think nebby will find out in two/three seasons if that good oline is as good as they experts say. Remember our great class turned out to be a 6-6 and well we all know the story.

I know how that goes as well. Our 07 team was supposed to be a top five class, we all know the story to that one as well.

Sometimes I have to wonder if kids are given star rankings based on what schools are interested in them and not actually given based on performance.

Sometimes I have to wonder if kids are given star rankings based on what schools are interested in them and not actually given based on performance.

I believe this is largely the case. Kid gets recruited by USC/Texas/OSU, automatically a 4 or 5 star recruit.

Face it guys, the likelihood is that Nebby is going to benefit in recruiting more from joining the Big Ten than we are going to benefit in recruiting by having them join.

Face it guys, the likelihood is that Nebby is going to benefit in recruiting more from joining the Big Ten than we are going to benefit in recruiting by having them join.

I dont know about that. I think there is alot to be gained by both NU and Iowa in our own backyards. The simple fact that the forgotten five are only in the Big12-2 is to pad Texas and OU's W column. ISU is soon going to be overshadowed in this area and I think both programs are going to see increased success in recruiting Mizz, Kansas, Iowa, and Nebraska.

I foresee some epic recruiting battles brewing which will bring a rivalry full circle.

CAARHawk -

We'll see. I do believe that Iowa will likely start having more luck recruiting the KC area now that the Huskers have joined the Big 10 ... and the KC area is usually even deeper and richer in talent than the the St Louis area.

That is in fact the way in works, at least in part. I have also seen some recruits star ranking drop because they committed to a school like Iowa instead of taking the offer from a more prestigious program. This is why star rankings are essentially meaningless.

One thing though, NE used to not offer a lot of NE kids, they expected NE kids to walk on to the program. They can't do that now because if they don't offer the kids will go elsewhere -- Iowa for instance.

One thing though, NE used to not offer a lot of NE kids, they expected NE kids to walk on to the program. They can't do that now because if they don't offer the kids will go elsewhere -- Iowa for instance.

I think that is the case in most states. It probably can be chalked up to big education and how much it costs to go to school now. Its almost unafordable unless you get some sort of scholarship or grant, especially for those that are less fortunate. Back in the day a kid could go and walk on at his dream school, because even if he didnt earn a scholarship he could still afford to go to school. Nowadays you have to take the money where you can get it even if it isnt exactly where you want to be.

I think that is the case in most states. It probably can be chalked up to big education and how much it costs to go to school now. Its almost unafordable unless you get some sort of scholarship or grant, especially for those that are less fortunate. Back in the day a kid could go and walk on at his dream school, because even if he didnt earn a scholarship he could still afford to go to school. Nowadays you have to take the money where you can get it even if it isnt exactly where you want to be.

It's not the case in Iowa, not with 2 1-AA quality programs that can come in and scoop up those possible walk-ons with a scholarship offer...one of the 2 programs is highly thought of and always in the Top 20, while the other is Iowa State...

You make a very good point here about the costs of higher education these days. The share of taxes paid by big business and the wealthiest Americans has been plummeting the last several decades, causing states to face more and more budget crises. States aren't allowed to run deficits like the feds, so they end up cutting programs and raising tuition for state universities. Over here in Cali, they just raised tuition for all UC's by 32% in one stinkin' year.

Back in the day before scholarship limits, all the big dog programs would typically have over 100 guys on scholarship, but I also remember the Huskers having a small army of walk-ons. Many of them made it into the starting lineup; I'm sure most of them just provided the competitive spark to make sure the scholarship guys were working hard and not resting on their laurels. In the 70s, I think it cost about $200/semester to go to a state school full-time. That couldn't get you into one class these days.

Latest posts