Your 2019-2020 prediction for Iowa

The one thing about Jans is he's had some time to put the incident behind him. If it just happened, there's no way he would get hired here.
Fry's probably right. It's unfortunate because some other P6 school is going to get him. I just hope it's not a B1G school.

It’s always interesting to see how new players are going to affect the team.

I just don’t think we have any new freshmen that are going to take the conference by storm. I am hoping Bo gets back much sooner than expected because he does bring a huge threat from the outside with his shooting and does a pretty good job of passing the ball. Too bad he is way below conference average on defense.

There’s nothing wrong with being optimistic for a new season. If one of these guys has the quickness to break down defenses and can lock down on the defensive end of the court, and Nunge be the guy that Jon thought he would be then there is hope. If not then it’s going to be a long season and we will be lucky to be in the NIT.

I've gotta say NIT. If JBo is out, and also with the loss of Moss & Cook - I don't feel the team will be able to simply absorb those losses without missing a beat. Those are three key pieces, regardless of criticism a lot of folks have had about that trio.

Seems we're going to have to be leaning on underclassmen quite a bit. Just feels more like a rebuilding year to me than anything else. Quite a bit of youth.

I've gotta say NIT. If JBo is out, and also with the loss of Moss & Cook - I don't feel the team will be able to simply absorb those losses without missing a beat. Those are three key pieces, regardless of criticism a lot of folks have had about that trio.

Seems we're going to have to be leaning on underclassmen quite a bit. Just feels more like a rebuilding year to me than anything else. Quite a bit of youth.

The losses are completely fair criticism, but a rebuilding year with "a lot of youth" is not what we have. I think that Nunge and Pemsl can more than fill the hole left by Cook. We likely downgrade from Moss to Evelyn. But that's not inexperienced underclassmen taking over. We're talking about 3rd and 4th year guys that have in game experience and have produced at the college level in the past.

Losing JBo hurts, but there's been a few rumors that Moss was feeling pressure from CJ for his minutes. CJ has the pedigree to be a JBo level shooter and the experience to be a significant upgrade in terms of ball handling compared to Moss from day one as he was a HS PG. Then everywhere else on the roster, you have guys that are a year more experienced and aren't coming in with nagging off-season illnesses (Connor) and surgeries (Garza) *knocks on wood*.

They have a lot of talent, and they should be harder to figure out than last year. They could/should surprise some people this year.

I never make it a practice to make season predictions this early. It is safer to wait until the non conference season is over, at the earliest after they have played their best non conference opponent. There is alot of talent on this team. But if you look at the roster Iowa has only 4 players coming back who played significant minutes on this team last year: Weiskamp, Connor McCaffery, Kriener, and Garza. Two more (Pemsl and Nunge) who haven't played significant minutes in 2 years. Evelyn, Touissant, Frederick, and Patrick McCaffery are newcomers to the program. There is alot we don't know regarding this team and alot of what we do know is negative. I'd like to say Iowa gets back to the dance but these players are gonna have to show they can play together, play smart, and at least play serviceable defense before I can get a gauge on this team.

I never make it a practice to make season predictions this early. It is safer to wait until the non conference season is over, at the earliest after they have played their best non conference opponent. There is alot of talent on this team. But if you look at the roster Iowa has only 4 players coming back who played significant minutes on this team last year: Weiskamp, Connor McCaffery, Kriener, and Garza. Two more (Pemsl and Nunge) who haven't played significant minutes in 2 years. Evelyn, Touissant, Frederick, and Patrick McCaffery are newcomers to the program. There is alot we don't know regarding this team and alot of what we do know is negative. I'd like to say Iowa gets back to the dance but these players are gonna have to show they can play together, play smart, and at least play serviceable defense before I can get a gauge on this team.

I'd say the only real negatives we have back from last year is Garza's defense and Connor's 3 point shooting.

I'm cautiously bullish on this team. I am thinking a solid bubble team. Lean in, rather than out. I think they are going to surprise.

Good post. Sounds logical. I'd say the "X" factor would be how well or poorlly, the rest of the league teams perform. Seems like every year, someone whom we don't expect to, excels, while another team that is supposed to do well, faulters. What are the expectations of the rest of the B1G this year?

All the inside guys have grown up physically. The guards will be quicker and faster. They should be pretty good barring injury.

People seem to forget that Nunge was runner up for Indiana Mr. Basketball in high school. The guy has talent! We saw what Pemsl can do in the Hawks game against the Clones last year. With the added strength of the team and new players coming in, I'm pumped for the season. I hope J Bo can be part of it!

Iowa's non-conference is pretty difficult, especially when they'll be breaking in a lot of new players and replacing a ton of minutes. Texas tech in Vegas, at Syracuse, at Iowa State and Cincy in Chicago. Not to mention they open B1G play at Michigan.

I don't see the season starting off very pretty but you never know....especially when you are dealing with redshirted players.

It seems over the past ten+ years that the best College teams that do well in March have a common thread, they either have elite-level guards or very good/experienced returning Jr-Sr guards.
JBo's defense was never much, but his stone cold-killer instinct at the end of close games will be missed.

People seem to forget that Nunge was runner up for Indiana Mr. Basketball in high school. The guy has talent! We saw what Pemsl can do in the Hawks game against the Clones last year. With the added strength of the team and new players coming in, I'm pumped for the season. I hope J Bo can be part of it!

People also forget that his freshman year, Nunge had about half the minutes that Tyler Cook had yet had more blocked shots. He also had more blocked shots than Nicolas Baer while playing roughly the same number of minutes.

Give me your best, worst and then your most realistic prediction for Iowa this year: non-conference record, conference record and postseason, if any.

As of now, too many variables. Does JBo play? How long is Pemsl suspended? What other injuries/health issues are on the table?

Best-case? 21 wins + 2 wins in BTT + 2 wins in NCAA

Average-case? 18 wins + 1 win in BTT + 1 win in NIT

Worst-case? 12 wins + no-win BTT + Fran resigning or being fired over a negative PR-related gaffe