Young to Iowa?

Lol ok. Of course I think that Kirk would offer a JUCO recruit hoping he could contribute his senior year. Now it would be ideal if they could come in and make an instant impact, but that isn't the case very often. How big of an impact did Powell have this year? Other than the TD at Minnesota, very little. Or how bout Eric Simmons?

JUCO recruits are not a lot different than regular ones. They just have two years instead of 4. If they can learn the system and work on their craft their first year on campus, and make an impact their senior year then they are still very much worth the time and effort. My point was simply that Young would not contribute as a defensive lineman at Iowa unless he could manage to put on at least 20 lbs. of good weight. How many 235 lb. defensive ends do you know of that saw significant playing time in the B10 this year?

Welp, we actually had 2 guys that are under 235 pounds (listed that way currently anyway) on our own roster in Meier and Spearman that saw what I would call pretty significant time. Remember them? They played on passing situations in our "raider defense".

Look, neither one of us know if Young would contribute right away or not, it's pure speculation on anybody's part, but to think that Kirk would take a chance on a guy that he doesn't think would contribute until his senior year possibly is silly, especially with all of the baggage that Young brings with him. Kirk wouldn't take that chance unless he thinks himself that Young could at least contribute a little bit next season, or in the very near future.

Welp, we actually had 2 guys that are under 235 pounds (listed that way currently anyway) on our own roster in Meier and Spearman that saw what I would call pretty significant time. Remember them? They played on passing situations in our "raider defense".

Look, neither one of us know if Young would contribute right away or not, it's pure speculation on anybody's part, but to think that Kirk would take a chance on a guy that he doesn't think would contribute until his senior year possibly is silly, especially with all of the baggage that Young brings with him. Kirk wouldn't take that chance unless he thinks himself that Young could at least contribute a little bit next season, or in the very near future.

Here's some stats for you pal.

Nate Meier: 4 solo tackles, 2 assists
Reggie Spearman: 2 solo tackles, 8 assists

Now both of those guys have huge upsides, but my point remains. Neither of them even came close to what I would consider significant contributions. To think Iowa would take a chance on a guy who could make a big impact his senior year is not silly at all. I don't understand where you're coming up with that. Committing to a guy for 2 years with the hopes he can make an impact in one of them is far from silly. Every college in the country commits to kids for 4 years hoping they can make an impact for at least one or two.

Here's some stats for you pal.

Nate Meier: 4 solo tackles, 2 assists
Reggie Spearman: 2 solo tackles, 8 assists

Now both of those guys have huge upsides, but my point remains. Neither of them even came close to what I would consider significant contributions. To think Iowa would take a chance on a guy who could make a big impact his senior year is not silly at all. I don't understand where you're coming up with that. Committing to a guy for 2 years with the hopes he can make an impact in one of them is far from silly. Every college in the country commits to kids for 4 years hoping they can make an impact for at least one or two.

My gawd, are you even reading my post(s)? Neither you or I know if he'll contribute next season or not, and I'd sure as hell hope that Kirk plans on him contributing by his senior season. I don't know why you keep going back to that, because of course that would be the case on any kid you recruit. I'm saying that Kirk probably has plans of him contributing before that time. Do you understand that? Kirk usually doesn't recruit JUCOS so why isn't he looking elsewhere? Maybe because we need immediate help at DE? Jeebus, get over yourself man.

My gawd, are you even reading my post(s)? Neither you or I know if he'll contribute next season or not, and I'd sure as hell hope that Kirk plans on him contributing by his senior season. I don't know why you keep going back to that, because of course that would be the case on any kid you recruit. I'm saying that Kirk probably has plans of him contributing before that time. Do you understand that? Kirk usually doesn't recruit JUCOS so why isn't he looking elsewhere? Maybe because we need immediate help at DE? Jeebus, get over yourself man.

I keep going back to that because you keep saying it's silly to recruit a JUCO kid based upon the idea he may only be able to contribute for one year. I disagree with you. Why is that silly? Of course the coaching staff would hold out hope that the kid could come in and make an immediate impact. However, there is a difference between hoping for that and expecting it. I think in a lot of cases there are coaches who extend opportunities to JUCO kids realizing they probably need a year or so before they can be heavily relied upon.

Get over myself? We're having a discussion. That type of garbage isn't necessary. Just because I disagree with your opinion that it's silly to recruit a kid who may only contribute one year does not mean I'm being pompous. I have nothing to get over. I just disagree with you.

I keep going back to that because you keep saying it's silly to recruit a JUCO kid based upon the idea he may only be able to contribute for one year. I disagree with you. Why is that silly? Of course the coaching staff would hold out hope that the kid could come in and make an immediate impact. However, there is a difference between hoping for that and expecting it. I think in a lot of cases there are coaches who extend opportunities to JUCO kids realizing they probably need a year or so before they can be heavily relied upon.

Get over myself? We're having a discussion. That type of garbage isn't necessary. Just because I disagree with your opinion that it's silly to recruit a kid who may only contribute one year does not mean I'm being pompous. I have nothing to get over. I just disagree with you.

You wanna hug it out?

You're stating that he probably won't contribute until his senior year. I disagree. I just don't believe that Kirk would go after a kid that had bad enough off-field issues previously to get his scholarship pulled is all I'm saying. Why take the chance if there's that possibility that he'll get in trouble again, especially if it's a long while until his senior season? You know how conservative Kirk is, and it's not his style to go after JUCOS, specifically ones with prior criminal histories, unless he thinks he really needs him. Let's circle back to Damond Powell. Kirk is quoted as saying that he wouldn't have brought him in if he didn't think that he could contribute right away. I'm using history to support my point. I think they have plans on him (Trevon) contributing sooner than his senior year. But again, agree to disagree.

Wasn't the reason Young decided to stick it out with Louisville was because the DL coach Clint Hurtt was sticking around? Well, that didn't last long, Hurtt is the new Chicago Bears DL coach. That sucks for Young if Hurtt really was the reason he stuck with Louisville.

The Scoop

Wasn't the reason Young decided to stick it out with Louisville was because the DL coach Clint Hurtt was sticking around? Well, that didn't last long, Hurtt is the new Chicago Bears DL coach. That sucks for Young if Hurtt really was the reason he stuck with Louisville.

The Scoop

My only advice to Mr. Young - don't get on a motorcycle with your new head coach.

a staff probably wouldn't have accepted two juco players for 1 position. once young made his move, iowa made theirs. iowa would not go back to the other guy and say, sorry, but young wants to change his mind.

young made his move, iowa made theirs.

pats self on back........

and i would bet that young's position coach does not stick around, unless louisville hires from within.

From the sounds of it we got the better player in the deal anyway. His offer sheet was much more impressive than Young's. Plus Young's was pumped up as teams needed to fill late, whereas Torrey's was offers that had been out there awhile, and they were for a kid that most didn't even know if he would qualify.

Latest posts