Young to Iowa?

I find it very hard to believe that Iowa would pull Young's offer because they are hoping Hendrick gains eligibility and then selects them. Young would be there sooner, and they are both a position of need. If TY could get be released from his scholarship, and wanted to go to Iowa, they would still allow him on board.

I find it very hard to believe that Iowa would pull Young's offer because they are hoping Hendrick gains eligibility and then selects them. Young would be there sooner, and they are both a position of need. If TY could get be released from his scholarship, and wanted to go to Iowa, they would still allow him on board.

Not what I heard

a staff probably wouldn't have accepted two juco players for 1 position. once young made his move, iowa made theirs. iowa would not go back to the other guy and say, sorry, but young wants to change his mind.

young made his move, iowa made theirs.

and i would bet that young's position coach does not stick around, unless louisville hires from within.

I think we'd be able to make room for a JUCO All-American....

Maybe... maybe not. I don't get why people get so wrapped up in individual recruits. Even if he came to Iowa it's highly doubtful he'd make an impact his first year. He's too small (unless they think he could play LB which it doesn't sound like). He could probably put on 20 lbs of good weight before next football season. That's IF he has his head screwed on and he's willing to work his butt off. IF he could manage to add that kind of weight then maybe he could make an immediate impact. If not, he's just simply too small to play DE at the B10 level. Realistically, wherever he ends up he probably isn't going to see the field much until his senior year. That's my point. I would not be shocked at all if Iowa moved on after he made his commitment to Louisville. Especially not if they gave someone else their word. That's not the way this staff operates nor should it be.

Maybe... maybe not. I don't get why people get so wrapped up in individual recruits. Even if he came to Iowa it's highly doubtful he'd make an impact his first year. He's too small (unless they think he could play LB which it doesn't sound like). He could probably put on 20 lbs of good weight before next football season. That's IF he has his head screwed on and he's willing to work his butt off. IF he could manage to add that kind of weight then maybe he could make an immediate impact. If not, he's just simply too small to play DE at the B10 level. Realistically, wherever he ends up he probably isn't going to see the field much until his senior year. That's my point. I would not be shocked at all if Iowa moved on after he made his commitment to Louisville. Especially not if they gave someone else their word. That's not the way this staff operates nor should it be.

The guy dominated against the best competition at the JUCO level. Agree to disagree I suppose.

2 questions/comments.

Young was the only Louisville player to have signed a LOI. I read the reason was that jucos had to sign by the end of Dec. Not true? Second is that with 2 jucos interested in 1 spot, wouldn't the coaches just tell both what the deal is, and see who signs first?

2 questions/comments.

Young was the only Louisville player to have signed a LOI. I read the reason was that jucos had to sign by the end of Dec. Not true? Second is that with 2 jucos interested in 1 spot, wouldn't the coaches just tell both what the deal is, and see who signs first?

Young had to sign his LOI if he wanted to begin classes and participate in spring practices is my understanding.

As far as your second question, if you are referring to Torey Hendick, it is not that we are waiting on him to decide and sign. He is not able to sign, as he has some academic things to take care of before he can. It may be that he ends up similar to Powell and does not sign until May and does not start practicing until August.

Young had to sign his LOI if he wanted to begin classes and participate in spring practices is my understanding.

As far as your second question, if you are referring to Torey Hendick, it is not that we are waiting on him to decide and sign. He is not able to sign, as he has some academic things to take care of before he can. It may be that he ends up similar to Powell and does not sign until May and does not start practicing until August.

Actually as far as I read, Torey is one hour short or something of finishing and thus, has to take a class in Spring semester . With Powell he was a short AFTER Spring Semester and had to take Summer Classes. A little different. But still similar situations. That said, you'd imagine Hendrick (should he sign with Iowa) would be able to be on campus as soon as he was able in the spring. Not August.

a staff probably wouldn't have accepted two juco players for 1 position. once young made his move, iowa made theirs. iowa would not go back to the other guy and say, sorry, but young wants to change his mind.

young made his move, iowa made theirs.

and i would bet that young's position coach does not stick around, unless louisville hires from within.

This doesn't make sense to me. Hendrick has not indicated that Iowa is his top choice. So, if Iowa has someone at the same position that wants to commit you think they would wait on someone that may or may not be interested? They were both offered scholarships and neither has committed to Iowa, so I don't understand why if TY is released from his scholarship how it would be any different than the situation with both of them a few weeks ago. This approach sounds like a good way to end up with neither TY or Hendrick.

To respond more to this silly post since I was limited on time previously...

1. Of course a staff shouldn't operate like that, and I didn't say anything like that. I said that we could probably make room for him, that's all.

2. Kirk usually doesn't go after JUCOS, but you think he's going to offer a kid, that he's been pursuing pretty hard lately (or was at least), who has prior off the field issues, but "probably won't contribute until his senior year"? Lol, ok. That makes a ton of sense. Like Kirk would take a chance like that on a developmental recruit.

Last edited:
This doesn't make sense to me. Hendrick has not indicated that Iowa is his top choice. So, if Iowa has someone at the same position that wants to commit you think they would wait on someone that may or may not be interested? They were both offered scholarships and neither has committed to Iowa, so I don't understand why if TY is released from his scholarship how it would be any different than the situation with both of them a few weeks ago. This approach sounds like a good way to end up with neither TY or Hendrick.

has not indicated that to you, or to the coaching staff?

has not indicated that to you, or to the coaching staff?

I guess the fact that he has scheduled visits upcoming points to him not having a solid choice. Do you know something we and the recruiting sites don't about Hendrick? But yes, if the coaching staff believes they have Hendrick in the bag and they prefer him over TY then it would make sense that they not bring TY on board, but they would have done that regardless of the LU offer, no? I guess logic just seems that if they have fairly equal grades that Iowa take the recruit that is ready to commit rather than waiting on the possibility the other may want to go to Iowa. I still contend if TY wanted out, and could get out of his LU committment and he called up Iowa, they would take him and pull the offer to Hendrick. That is just my guess. I see you feel otherwise.

Defensive coordinator at Louisville to follow Strong to Texas? Young may find himself with a whole new group of coaches...and it's more than likely. Most likely too late to change directions...but...just saying.

Defensive coordinator at Louisville to follow Strong to Texas? Young may find himself with a whole new group of coaches...and it's more than likely. Most likely too late to change directions...but...just saying.

it's a catch 22 for Young. Right now, he's got a guaranteed spot - already signed LOI. Maybe Louisville would release, but perhaps the schools offering before he signed are now filled at his position, or looking another direction. hard to look around when you are already signed. hard not to want to look around given his situation. i could see how this would be a confusing time for this guy.

Does that mean you think they will both come to Iowa?

great catch, and as it is written it is exactly what it means!

sidebar - i very much doubt that young will want to do anything now that Petrino has been hired and his coach will be retained. the assumption is that petrino will honor his LOI.

To respond more to this silly post since I was limited on time previously...

1. Of course a staff shouldn't operate like that, and I didn't say anything like that. I said that we could probably make room for him, that's all.

2. Kirk usually doesn't go after JUCOS, but you think he's going to offer a kid, that he's been pursuing pretty hard lately (or was at least), who has prior off the field issues, but "probably won't contribute until his senior year"? Lol, ok. That makes a ton of sense. Like Kirk would take a chance like that on a developmental recruit.

Lol ok. Of course I think that Kirk would offer a JUCO recruit hoping he could contribute his senior year. Now it would be ideal if they could come in and make an instant impact, but that isn't the case very often. How big of an impact did Powell have this year? Other than the TD at Minnesota, very little. Or how bout Eric Simmons?

JUCO recruits are not a lot different than regular ones. They just have two years instead of 4. If they can learn the system and work on their craft their first year on campus, and make an impact their senior year then they are still very much worth the time and effort. My point was simply that Young would not contribute as a defensive lineman at Iowa unless he could manage to put on at least 20 lbs. of good weight. How many 235 lb. defensive ends do you know of that saw significant playing time in the B10 this year?

Latest posts