You thought security at Kinnick...

Apparently this isn't exactly brand new to the workers of the stadium. From the article on their Facebook page:

"Earlier this year stadium workers were informed of the threat, and are currently subject to thorough searches before they are allowed to enter the facility on home football weekends. The workers were told the threat was non-specific and mentioned a number of potential targets nationwide."

Chilling to hear Kinnick come up, but from the sounds of the article, it appears the 3 major sporting arenas in Iowa (Kinnick, Cyclone Stadium (I assume they mean Jack Trice?), and the Iowa Speedway in Newton) were listed with a number of targets nationwide. I think everyone has known that every sporting event has been a target since 9/11 due to the large numbers of people that gather in such a small area, it just seems KCJJ is trying to capitalize on one hell of a headline.

That was good.

They'll be tackled before they can even get near the stadium.:D

Funny.

But seriously, this sounds as if ANY large-scale event is considered a target. I wouldn't be surprised if similar warnings were given to other stadiums/race tracks etc. Any large gathering of people is an attractive target for terrorists.

Come on...we all know a person of middle eastern descent would stick out like a sore thumb inside Kinnick Stadium.

I grew up in Iowa but now live in Indianapolis and coming back for games makes you realize just how undiverse Iowa is.

Come on...we all know a person of middle eastern descent would stick out like a sore thumb inside Kinnick Stadium.

I grew up in Iowa but now live in Indianapolis and coming back for games makes you realize just how undiverse Iowa is.

Not all terrorists are middle eastern. A large portion of Al Qaida's recruits are from western european and north american countries. They just go to the middle east and asia to train and come back home....your 'terrorist' threat could be enrolled at Iowa as a white farm kid from Ackley and you'd never know.

When I was in New Zealand, I was hiking at Abel Tasman Park, and the hut/bunk place I spent the night at, there were several other people there. Everyone was from someplace different, and I was the only American.

When we were introducing ourselves, I told them I lived in Minneapolis. Not one of the 8 or 9 other people knew where it was. So I told them where it was in relation to Chicago. Problem was, none of them knew where Chicago was. Only a few even knew that Chicago existed as a city.

Point is, unless they have something specifically out for Iowa, the chances that people even consider Kinnick a meaningful target is small. There are much 'better' targets out there for people wanting to make a message.

Anyway, I'll wait till it makes it on a media source other than a Facebook page.

Here is a link to another story on this subject from the ICPC:
Green: Homeland safety concerns precipitated gameday changes | press-citizen.com | Iowa City Press Citizen

This statement is just ridiculous ->
Green said Homeland Security was not concerned about issues related to alcohol consumption, which have been targeted by the university’s “Think Before You Drink” campaign, but Green said UI officials believe the issues are related.

“There is a connection, just because of the behavior issues,” he said.

So according to him, drinking can lead to terrorism?......

lol is that KC and Jo Jo? ALLL MYYY LIFE.... I PRAY FOR SOMEONE LIKE YOU...

but seriously,
This is legit, the nuclear plant in Palo was listed as a potential target in post 9/11 hysteria. ANY sporting event would be a target, that is why most professional and collegiate events were moved after 9/11, remember we played ISU after the big ten season that year.

You are wrong again. They moved the games out of respect for the seriousness of the attack.

Green: Homeland safety concerns precipitated gameday changes | press-citizen.com | Iowa City Press Citizen

Green said Homeland Security was not concerned about issues related to alcohol consumption, which have been targeted by the university’s “Think Before You Drinkâ€￾ campaign, but Green said UI officials believe the issues are related.

“There is a connection, just because of the behavior issues,â€￾ he said.

This guy has GOT to go. He sounds like the perfect example of a guy who shouldn't be in "law enforcement" due to his mental make-up and attitude.

Green said Homeland Security was not concerned about issues related to alcohol consumption, which have been targeted by the university’s “Think Before You Drinkâ€￾ campaign, but Green said UI officials believe the issues are related.

“There is a connection, just because of the behavior issues,â€￾ he said.

Only if you consider date rape and frat boy fights terrorism.

Also...and you'd think multicultural U of I officials would know this...Islamic fundamentalists don't drink alcohol.

Also...and you'd think multicultural U of I officials would know this...Islamic fundamentalists don't drink alcohol.

Sadly,there are too many" nit-wits" in the equation to know for sure what is and what are not the facts.

So you're saying they should be arresting the people not drinking? Sounds good to me!:D

So do you think these terrorists are the "Knuckleheads" we have heard about, because Im all about cracking down on them.

Latest posts