You guys remember Steve Alford?

Mediocre team? We've won two BTT games in ten years. I don't even want to look at our conference record right now, but last I checked, we were a helluva long way from mediocre.
We've also won twice as many NCAA games as Alford ever did in the same amount of appearances, and the two have an extremely similar overall record (152-106 vs 149-116 overall, 61-67 vs 67-73 both in 8 years). Can't find data for the BTT, and Fran has been awful in that, no doubt, but that's really the only thing Alford has over him.

This year has been awful, no doubt, and for me next year is tourney or bust for Fran, but you need have some perspective when you compare him with past Iowa coaches. Alford inherited a relatively healthy bball program coming off 5 straight 20 win seasons with NCAA appearances in 3 of those. Then he left, and as we all know, Lickliter ran the program into the ground. Fran inherited a black hole of a basketball team, which makes his results prior to this season impressive. Doesn't excuse his performance this year, and he shouldn't survive another year if they don't flip the script, but you're letting recency bias cloud your view of Fran's entire tenure.

f738bcec-113e-11df-a14b-001cc4c03286.image.jpg
OMG. That's funny. Talk about playing with the BIG boys.

I still believe that Smith told Alf he was leaving, and that was what made Alf decide to skedaddle. Without Smith, he had no chance of meeting the challenge Barta had laid down.

There is no arguing that Lick drove out a lot of players and made the overall program worse, but you are crazy if you think Alf left the program in better shape than he found it.

I’d be curious as to what those challenges were? Now Barta is giving extensions that include bonuses for making NCAA Tournament appearance 1 out of 4 years.

You're one of those guys who doesn't want to let the legal system play out. It's because of guys like you that three innocent lacrosse players from Duke got railroaded by the media and legal system. Alford believes in due process and second chances.

Alford didn't want to let the legal system play out either, that's why her personally intervened with the victim to try and get her not to press charges. And good thing too, because Pierce was free to assault at least one other woman.

Shouldn't there be a rule about one trolling up one's own six year old troll thread? Seriously. There is no defense for Alfraud, he was never any good for Iowa basketball regardless of the outcome. And the outcome, was nothing special in the first place. Dude was a cancer.

^^^^^ I think Lil Lick could have thrown it up from 1/2 court that game and it would have went it. Everything was just working for him that game.

I even saw like 4 old people standing and clapping!!!! I didn't realize the old people in the good seats stood up for anything...clearly the answer is more lil' Lick
Closest thing to a Rudy moment we've had I suppose. He had no business being out there but that game was the closest thing to his 15 mins of fame he'll get

Latest posts