You guys remember Steve Alford?

Some bad info in this thread:

Lute left because he knew he couldnt recruit against Knight when Knight could walk in at the last minute and steal away Isiah Thomas, etc. And Lute knew how stacked the officials were in the big 10 toward indiana, ohio st, and purdue.

#2, Alford was and probably still is a terrible in-game coach. His teams were never prepared for the other teams adjustments and Alford could not adjust his teams.

#3 Alford recruited well and then chased off very good players, for example, courtney scott and summerville. Alford's last team would have been a #1 seed with summerville.

You know, I always heard that slick was having a 'special' relationship with a young man during his time here...turns out this young man grew up to be an old ******** that goes by the screen name okeefe4prez, who would have thunk it?!?!

Some bad info in this thread:

Lute left because he knew he couldnt recruit against Knight when Knight could walk in at the last minute and steal away Isiah Thomas, etc. And Lute knew how stacked the officials were in the big 10 toward indiana, ohio st, and purdue.

#2, Alford was and probably still is a terrible in-game coach. His teams were never prepared for the other teams adjustments and Alford could not adjust his teams.

#3 Alford recruited well and then chased off very good players, for example, courtney scott and summerville. Alford's last team would have been a #1 seed with summerville.

Sommerville got booted due to credit card fraud................ He probably had some other issues as well.

That guy had a monster class coming in and you ran him out of town. He left the cupboard full with pretty decent talent and that has now all left town. As one of the few people who genuinely wanted Coach Alford to stay, let me say that I am kind of happy with how bad the basketball program is right now and that you guys deserve this taste of medicine you've been given. We're totally back now, but let this little run of mediocrity remind you to treat our coaches with respect.

You have me confused, pal. You start out writing about "you" as if you are a detached observer, but then you write "We're totally back now ..." I know you fashion yourself as a deep-pocket, season ticket-buying supporter of the Wildkitties, so which is it Purple Boy? Are you Iowa or are you not? Your self-identification might help add a bit of context and/or humor to your posts, which generally are devoid of same. Or it might not.

Pretty sure this was Steve's favorite boy band.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k-BxdNKtzE]Big Time Rush - City Is Ours - YouTube[/ame]

If there were regrets with the handling of past coaches it would be with that of Davis not Alford.

We've gone through two decades of LESS than mediocre BKB in Iowa City.
The program is paying the price for the way it treated the proven success of the well respected Mr. Davis not an unproven want-to-be that has earned no respect from peers or players.

the Alford haters will only see fault with him
it is a fact they won't admit he did have some success

Well.. I agree with you to a certain extent. Alford wasn't a complete and utter failure, but the program did regress from where it was when he took over. There's no doubt about that.

A couple BTT titles, a 25-win season.. Those were nice. And the last few years were better than his earlier years.

Unforunately, the majority of Alford's seasons were pretty average. Not enough to get to the NCAA Tournament most of the time, and the NIT appearances were usually pretty uninspiring.

I think if we had gone straight from Alford to McCaffery, things might look a whole lot better right now. Although alot of folks like to heap the blame on Alford, I still say it was Lick who truly destroyed this program. Things weren't in all THAT bad of shape when Alford left. We were at least winning more games than we lost. We haven't seen that a single time since Lick was hired.

The program is paying the price for the way it treated the proven success of the well respected Mr. Davis not an unproven want-to-be that has earned no respect from peers or players.

I agree - Tom Davis was really the one who got a raw deal in all of this.

I was ok with Barta nudging Alford out the door. Even happy about it.

Lick HAD to go. After 3 years it was obvious the program was in flames.

But I'd give certain parts of my anatomy to have what we had when Mr. Davis was here - 9 of 13 years in the NCAA Tournament and never a first round loss. Not so bad, was it?

We'll see how things turn out with McCaffery. I'm willing to give him at least 4-5 years to get things going.

At least Alford had Iowa playing competitive basketball. What we've had since has been beyond pathetic.

ok4p, what point are you trying to make? Alford left Iowa, he had a year to improve the team and get them back to the NCAA tourney and he decided to tuck his tail and run. He is the reason why the Hawks Nest has been pathetic as he turned them away after how he handled the PP incident.

But why should you care? After all we are an easy victory for Northwestern now.

That guy had a monster class coming in and you ran him out of town. He left the cupboard full with pretty decent talent and that has now all left town. As one of the few people who genuinely wanted Coach Alford to stay, let me say that I am kind of happy with how bad the basketball program is right now and that you guys deserve this taste of medicine you've been given. We're totally back now, but let this little run of mediocrity remind you to treat our coaches with respect.

lol cupboard was far from full. Smith was his only quality player that he had "coming back". I wanted him fire before Brunner & Horners Senior year. Glad he is gone. Alford was the Poison pill, lickliter was the painful death. Fran is the antidote. We aren't back yet, but progress is being made. When the area is full again you'll know the stench of Alford has been removed.

The buy out would have purchased a lot of closure for the Hawks, and kept Alf from running his mouth on the way out of town. It would have been money well spent.

Strongly disagree. That was a lot of dough, and we needed facilities, not "closure". Nobody outside Iowa message boards gives a rat's behind about Alford "running his mouth". Barta handled that departure fine... the mistake was in hiring Lickliter.

(and yes, I thought it was a good hire at the time. Oops.)

I never really had a problem with Alford. I thought he came here with a resume too light to be taking over a B10 program. And I think the fact that he was never an assistant on a bigger program really had an effect on his time at Iowa. I still believe he was starting to finally figure things out a little bit when he left...both with his coaching as well as on the recruiting scene. But that's really not relevant now.

The main reason why I was happy when Alford left was because I was hoping a new coach would come in and unify the fan base. Of course, the gap got even wider under Lick. It's nice to see Caff is at least making progress on that front.

I never really had a problem with Alford. I thought he came here with a resume too light to be taking over a B10 program. And I think the fact that he was never an assistant on a bigger program really had an effect on his time at Iowa. I still believe he was starting to finally figure things out a little bit when he left...both with his coaching as well as on the recruiting scene. But that's really not relevant now.

The main reason why I was happy when Alford left was because I was hoping a new coach would come in and unify the fan base. Of course, the gap got even wider under Lick. It's nice to see Caff is at least making progress on that front.

T.S.E. Truest Statement Ever. He wasn't ready at the time of the hire. He burned too many bridges by the time he appeared to be ready.

Who did more harm to Iowa basketball, Bob Bowlsby or Roy Williams? Think before you answer.

Who did more harm to Iowa basketball, Bob Bowlsby or Roy Williams? Think before you answer.

lol

Bruce Pearl. How many Chicago Recruits did we get before that? After that?
then Bob B
then Alford (or Pierce, pretty much interchangable)
then Lick
Roy Boy.

-Do you see what I did there? Domino effect. We might not have been in the position where BB could make that call if we were still getting quality recruits out of Chicago.
-If that happens BB could have told Mr. Davis to shake up his staff to try and get more quality recruits. (which I didn't think we were doing bad since we were so consistent and getting McDonalds All Americans)
-Alford/Pierce situation killed his chance at Iowa. If he boots Pierce instead of attacking the victim, he likely would have sowed some good will from the fan base he had started to lose.
-no squarer peg has been tried to be forced in a round hole. Lick was a paper sealion. seemed like a good idea at the time, but it wasn't.
-Iowa and ISU both in the mist of coaching situations opened the flood gates for Roy Boy to cherry pick players from then forward. But that is irrelevant to what our situation became.

Latest posts