Yet another reason to despise the Goofers.....

jmarkhawk

The University of Minnesota is apologizing after its Goldy Gopher mascot "mocked" a Penn State football player who was praying before last week's game.

ESPN story - LINK

and

YouTube video - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=admY-bNWo5U"]YouTube - Minnesota Golden Gopher mocks Penn State DE Jerome Hayes praying at Homecoming 09[/ame]

The voice @ the 55 sec. mark said it best, "He clearly mocked his prayer......that's not cool!"

And to that - I say AMEN!

Last edited:
...and the backpedal!

Link

Goldy Gopher's antics result in apology

MINNEAPOLIS -- The University of Minnesota is apologizing after its Goldy Gopher mascot poked fun at a Penn State football player who was praying before last week's game.
A video made before Saturday's game at State College, Pa., shows Penn State defensive end Jerome Hayes kneeling in prayer in the end zone.

Goldy Gopher kneels in front of Hayes, according to the video posted on YouTube. When Hayes stands up, so does Goldy. The mascot tries to make some contact, but Hayes ignores him and trots back to the bench.

"When I got up, I couldn't hear what he said, and he tried to shake my hand," Hayes said of the incident, according to The Morning Call of Allentown. "I wasn't trying to have any part of that."
According to the report, Hayes said he has seen video of the moment, and that he's not bothered by it -- although teammates have told him "the Gopher got the best of me."

Minnesota spokesman Dan Wolter says the stunt was "plainly a mistake" and the mascot didn't intend to offend anyone or trivialize religion.

"On behalf of Goldy and the University of Minnesota, I want to apologize to the Penn State player involved and anyone else who may have taken offense from this incident," Wolter said in a statement. "We have reiterated to Goldy the importance of exercising appropriate religious sensitivity in the future."

Penn State athletics spokesman Brian Siegrist had no comment Thursday. Penn State won the game 20-0.

Why would this surprise anyone. The Gophers are clueless. Penn State after that young man's prayer went out and just kicked their ***. Just blew them out of the stadium - the same way Iowa will in a few weeks.

Minnesota stands for nothing.

Oh, and did you see the ridiculous response from the "official" Gopher spokesperson: "We need to show appropriate religious sensitivity" in the future. In other words, we are an atheistic school that stands for nothing, but we need to be politically correct at all times. What the heck are they talking about? Are you kidding me? God forbid that they would in any way endorse prayer.

Hilarious.

P.S. The Golden Rodents will need a lot of praying when they come to Kinnick - that should be a fun day

"In other words, we are an atheistic school that stands for nothing, but we need to be politically correct at all times. What the heck are they talking about? Are you kidding me? God forbid that they would in any way endorse prayer."

They are a public institution. They should not be in the business of endorsing prayer or religion in any way. The University of Iowa would respond in the exact same way.

I agree with Spank. Switch to decaf.

I think people get too sensitive about stuff like this.

It's not about sensitivity spank......it's about the double standard!

Make fun of a Christian praying before a game......no biggie!

Do that stuff to a hindu, muslim, or Jew............and you've got a PR nightmare and prolly a lawsuit as well!!!!!

Ok I don't know if anyone here prays or not , but imagine your self praying in front of

70,000 people and someone in a clown suit is mocking you. That's as stupid as it gets.

It's not about sensitivity spank......it's about the double standard!

Make fun of a Christian praying before a game......no biggie!

Do that stuff to a hindu, muslim, or Jew............and you've got a PR nightmare and prolly a lawsuit as well!!!!!

1000% right. It's fine and dandy to mock and take shots at Christians, but don't you dare do the same thing to another religion...or especially a gay/lesbian.

The double standard is beyond ridiculous.

1000% right. It's fine and dandy to mock and take shots at Christians, but don't you dare do the same thing to another religion...or especially a gay/lesbian.

The double standard is beyond ridiculous.

Thank you.....and you can take that - to the bank!

They are a public institution. They should not be in the business of endorsing prayer or religion in any way. The University of Iowa would respond in the exact same way.

This.

I despise Minnesota, but I found this amusing. Appropriate? No. But amusing. Jerome Hayes said he wasn't bothered by it, so I see no reason pursue it further.

I think the yellow rat was just trying to be funny and did something stupid without really thinking it through. For those trying to turn this into Christian baiting, C'mon.... If a muslim ball player were to kneel towards Mecca and pray in a full stadium I think that might draw some attention whether he was mocked by a mascot or not.

Was it classless, absolutely...but comedians get paid to make fun of things, political, religious, racial, sexual orientation, etc and what are mascots, but comic relief!?!? "He" shouldn't have to apologize to anyone but the player in question, if he felt compelled to do so. On the other hand, if the player had taken offense and planted the goopher 6 feet deep into the turf, I'd laugh at that and say "no apologies needed" as well.