Yes, this is a disappointing stretch of Iowa football

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Not gonna say its not. Iowa is 14-9 since the start of the 2010 season, which isn't where the coaching staff wants to be, isn't where the players want to be and isn't where the fans want to be.

The same can be said for the coaches, players and fans of the following schools, who have a national title lineage and are among the winningest programs in the history of the sport. Their all time rank in winning percentage is in parenthesis:

Since the start of the 2010 season:

Texas (3): 11-10 (one win vs ranked opponent)
Miami (14): 12-13 (two wins vs ranked opponents)
Florida (16): 13-10 (bowl win vs unranked PSU, zero wins vs ranked teams)
Tennessee (9): 10-13 (zero wins vs ranked opponents)

Iowa (59): 14-9 (4 W's wins vs ranked teams, including a #5 & #12)

For those of us that are old enough to remember the 60's and 70's, today's record would be elation time. One school not on your list is mighty Michigan! Another example is UCLA, no one even remembers when they were competitive.

Yep, and Iowa is the only one of those teams that hasn't had a major coaching change on that list.

Which makes the current situation even more frustrating considering we haven't played with consistency since beating Mich St last year. This shouldn't happen if you have a good, veteran coaching staff.

Not gonna say its not. Iowa is 14-9 since the start of the 2010 season, which isn't where the coaching staff wants to be, isn't where the players want to be and isn't where the fans want to be.

The same can be said for the coaches, players and fans of the following schools, who have a national title lineage and are among the winningest programs in the history of the sport. Their all time rank in winning percentage is in parenthesis:

Is that suppose to make us feel better or something:confused:? I mean really what is that. Tennessee is a jumbled mess and Miami and Florida have had to make coaching changes. Texas has also had to make changes to the staff.

Jon, no one cares about a handful of other down teams that have really good histories. They really don't have much to do with Iowa, and that's the team most of us care about around here.

What adds to the frustration is other than Mac Brown at Texas (who has played in and won a national title) has been at the school for a long time. Continuity should equal consistency, that's what Kirk always talks about not having turnover on his staff.

[/B]

Is that suppose to make us feel better or something:confused:? I mean really what is that. Tennessee is a jumbled mess and Miami and Florida have had to make coaching changes. Texas has also had to make changes to the staff.

Completely agree. What do FL, Miami, Texas, and Tenn. have to do with Iowa? I mean for every one of those, I can find 3 more that were elite and have stayed elite. None of them really have anything to do with Iowa.

Last edited:
For those of us that are old enough to remember the 60's and 70's, today's record would be elation time. One school not on your list is mighty Michigan! Another example is UCLA, no one even remembers when they were competitive.

This isn't the '60s and '70s anymore. The times have changed, and we're a much better program than that now. So pardon me if I'm not elated with 6-7 win seasons.

Yep, and Iowa is the only one of those teams that hasn't had a major coaching change on that list.[/QUOT

I agree with this. Is the the point of signing KF do a HUGE extensions and Iowa have the same coaching staff for 13 years suppose to ensure stability to some point. With the coaching staff currently failing and yes failing with not much of a bright spot. How many BCS schools have had there HC,DC,OC together for more than lets say 5 years and are in danger of missing a bowl game ?

Jon, what do those traditional winning programs that are in fertile recruiting areas and have all recently had the type of major coaching changes that many on this board are calling for possibly have to do with Iowa?

I don't care all that much for excuses. Or trying to be convinced that we should just accept poorly coached teams without a lot of talent.

All these teams have the same thing in common. They failed to make the necessary changes to stay competitive with the ever changing style of college football. I'm not sure the point in posting this other than to point that out. UF, Miami, and FSU all have made coaching changes to try to change this. Iowa and Texas are stuck with 2 coaches that make $4 and $5 million a year and haven't shown any signs of making the changes. This actually makes me feel worse.

What is troubling to me is the end of last season and the inability of Iowa to capitalize on an extremely soft schedule and a down Big 10. Next season the defense could actually regress. This is going to be a long off season. Iowa is going to have a huge rebuilding job on the d-line again and will replace 6 starters on defense. Iowa has to head into next season planning on outscoring foes.

All these teams have the same thing in common. They failed to make the necessary changes to stay competitive with the ever changing style of college football. I'm not sure the point in posting this other than to point that out. UF, Miami, and FSU all have made coaching changes to try to change this. Iowa and Texas are stuck with 2 coaches that make $4 and $5 million a year and haven't shown any signs of making the changes. This actually makes me feel worse.

Mack Brown is still the head man at Texas, but he made some pretty significant changes to his staff after last season.

Mack Brown is still the head man at Texas, but he made some pretty significant changes to his staff after last season.

LOL...well that leaves Iowa as the only team on that list that isn't making changes. Awesome. I look forward to our LB's covering wide receivers for years to come.

For me its not even about wins & loses at this point, its more about repeated mistakes that aren't corrected or even addressed.
For Iowa to be successful, KF has said it himself many times, special teams have to be a strength. They're not, they're a liability and have been for several years.

That tells me one of two things is going on...
1) Poor coaching
2) Players not listening to coaching.
Neither is good and neither reflects well on the coaching staff.

Latest posts