125-McDonough vs Gurule;
133-Moore/Trizzino vs Clark/Ramos/Joseph
141-M Ballweg/J Moore vs Dziewa/Owens
149-Carew/Sebert vs J Ballweg/Gillmor
157-Matt Ballweg/Nick Moore vs Kelly/St. John
165-Janssen vs Kerr/DuCharme
174-E Lofthouse vs Evans/Faher
184-Gambrall vs Lira/Wagner
197-No wrestle off for Lofthouse. Ambrose over weight.
Hwt-Rasing vs Telford/Johnson.

Dziewa is going to be a good one but isn't ready just yet. He is pretty small and needs to definitely get stronger at this point. I am interested to see his match up with Ballweg on Saturday to see how much he has closed the gap there. Either way I believe that he will redshirt this year and keep working.

I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't the following

125-McDonough
133-Moore
141-Ballweg
149-Carew
157-St John
165-Janssen/Kerr
174-E Lofthouse
184-Gambrall
197-L Lofthouse
285-Rasing

I could see Johnson getting some time at HWT but barring injury I think that the rest of the lineup won't really change.

Thank you for that, fulsaas. However, a more important prediction from you. Season expectations? I see the rankings are all over the board. A lot of eastern schools in the mix. To me, that's a very good thing.

That is a tough one to answer at this point but I have a very good feeling about this group of guys. If they stay healthy I truly believe that they will be firmly in the mix for another national title. Basically I see this team finishing no worse than 5th and personally I think that it will be higher than that.

In my eyes we have 10 national qualifiers and 6-8 solid AA's. That should be good enough to make a real run come March. Especially when I think that they have at least 3 guys with a legit shot at the finals/national title in McDonough, Moore, and St John.

Really looking forward to this season, fulsaas. A ton of great unknowns. Which makes it more interesting as opposed to being the definitive favorites. Thanks for the insight.

Fulsaasfan - You're right about the updated roster--I noticed Marion has been removed.

Brands must be a more patient man than me...Ambrose is reportedly battling weight issues again this year. I recall last year he didn't wrestle until later in the season due to weight. It's especially important this year since he's the only other 197lber for the Hawks besides Luke Lofthouse. Is this a motivation issue or is he really that huge? Of course there's always more to the story. With all the depth, it's interesting the Hawks have been so thin at this weight recently.

Thanks for all the info fulsaasfan! This year is going be very excited where Iowa can really show its true grit. We will definitely get a feel on the type of teacher and mentor Brands is to this next batch of wrestlers. How similar is it to when Brands first got here? Which do you think will be more difficult, Brand's first year or this year?

Is there any word on why JJ Krusinger is not wrestling? Also anyone know how Walt Gilmore is looking in the room?

With all the new faces in the line-up, are there any weights where we know we're putting a young guy out there who will take some lumps. I had thought maybe Carrew, I've also heard that he's really improved and looks good. Nate Moore and Gambrall both showed last year in spurts how good they could be.

The Matt Ballweg vs. Nick Moore match could be interesting. Ballweg did beat St. John last year.

With all the new faces in the line-up, are there any weights where we know we're putting a young guy out there who will take some lumps. I had thought maybe Carrew, I've also heard that he's really improved and looks good. Nate Moore and Gambrall both showed last year in spurts how good they could be.

The Matt Ballweg vs. Nick Moore match could be interesting. Ballweg did beat St. John last year.

I would say 141 would be that weight and I know some feel Carew has drastically improved, but i still think he'll take his lumps to.
Honestly, i know we are all excited about this season, as am I, but there will be times when all of these young guys take lumps. It's college wrestling, it's goign to happen. What happened w/ McD last year is so rare, we won't see that again.
The best part in my opinion will be having the opportunity to watch them grow over the next 2,3,4 years. it's goign to be a fun ride.

Thursday
133 pounds – Tony Ramos vs. Charlie Joseph
Friday
133 – Nate Moore vs. Nick Trizzino
133 – Ramos/Joseph winner vs. Tyler Clark
141 – Mark Ballweg vs. Joe Moore
141 – Josh Dziewa vs. Ethan Owens
149 – Dylan Carew vs. Ethan Sebert
149 – Jake Ballweg vs. Stew Gillmor
157 – Nick Moore vs. Matt Ballweg
157 – Michael Kelly vs. Derek St. John
165 – Joe DuCharme vs. Jake Kerr
174 – Mike Evans vs. Jeremy Fahler
184 – Tomas Lira vs. Vinnie Wagner
Hwt. – Bobby Telford vs. Jordan Johnson
Saturday
125 – Matt McDonough vs. Matt Gurule
133 – Moore/Trizzino winner vs. Ramos/Joseph/Clark winner
141 – Ballweg/Moore winner vs. Dziewa/Owens winner
149 – Carew/Sebert winner vs. Ballweg/Gillmor winner
157 – Moore/Ballweg winner vs. Kelly/St. John winner
165 – Aaron Janssen vs. DuCharme/Kerr winner
174 – Ethen Lofthouse vs. Evans/Fahler winner
184 – Grant Gambrall vs. Lira/Wagner winner
Hwt. – Blake Rasing vs. Telford/Johnson winner

If something happened to Luke Lofthouse, who would be next in? (assuming Ambrose cannot make weight) Are Lira or Wagner big enough?

Latest posts